PDA

View Full Version : One month in (almost) - 2006-07 FA class

edabbs44
04-29-2007, 07:50 PM
So we're basically one month in and this offseason was named the year of the ridiculous contract. Let's take a look at how some of those crazy contracts have turned out so far. Four signings come to mind right away:

1) Ted Lilly (Chicago Cubs - 4 years, $40 million): Lilly has pitched quite well for the Cubs so far, going 2-2 with a 2.18 ERA. He has a sterling 33-5 K/BB ratio and the Cubs lineup has done him no favors as his record has not shown how well he has pitched.

2) Gil Meche (KC Royals - 5 years, $55 million): Meche has been another one-month stud, going 2-1 with a 2.18 ERA. His K/BB ratio is 29/9 and has also been stymied by his offense.

3) Jason Marquis (Chicago Cubs - 3 years, $21 million): Here's the surprise. 3-1 with a 2.35 ERA. K/BB ratio is more telling at 14/13 and he's gonna have a tough time keeping this up.

4) Gary Matthews Jr (LA Angels - 5 years, $50 million): .298/.368/.415 with 2 HR, 17 runs scored, 9 RBI and 6 SB. He is on pace to hit .298 with 114 runs, 13 HR, 60 RBI and 40 SB.

What were your original thoughts? Personally, I thought the Marquis contract was a disaster and I still think it will end up that way. I thought the Matthews contract was another loser, but so far so good for him. I thought Meche was overpaid but wasn't as bad a signing as most thought. I liked it for KC as he at least gave them a little hope that they could get a pitcher with some talent. I thought Lilly was a good signing and that he would fare well with the league change, sort of like Arroyo circa 2006.

He got it!
04-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I think we are noticing a trend that is going to continue. That being taking starting pitchers from the beast that is the AL East with about 4.00 ERAs and turning them into NL All - Stars with a 3.00 ERA while now facing a pitcher instead of a DH and having the advantage of nobody seeing you before. See Arroyo and Lilly.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like an Erik Bedard from Baltimore couldn't be an NL All - STAR if he pitched in the NL Central or NL West.

mth123
04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Its interesting that these pitchers (as well as our own Kyle Lohse) are all from cold weather cities. I'm guessing that these stats are improved by the advantage that cold weather gives most pitchers. It will be interesting to check back in another month to 6 weeks.

Cedric
04-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Matthews deal got such negative views because of the overall dollars spent. Who cares with the salaries that Moreno is throwing around in Anaheim?

Get your man and don't look back. Screw cost.

jmcclain19
04-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Matthews deal got such negative views because of the overall dollars spent. Who cares with the salaries that Moreno is throwing around in Anaheim?

Get your man and don't look back. Screw cost.

Its funny, but I'd use the same Rationale for Zito's contract with the Giants.