PDA

View Full Version : Going To LA, need help

Joseph
05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok west coasters and baseball travelers in general; the wife and I are taking vacation in California in about a week and a half. We'll be landing Saturday morning around 11:00 AM and staying in Anaheim [going to Disneyland]. That first night though it just so happens we have nothing to do and decided to go down to Dodger Stadium for our beloved Redlegs. [Don't tell her I planned the vacation like that.]

What I come to you for is information. Tips on getting to the stadium, parking, things/places to avoid etc. I've never been there before and know nothing about it other than it's supposed to be a great place to watch a game.

We're testing the new 'all you can eat' pavilion in right field, we'll let you know how that goes as well. Look for us on FSN that night. :)

Anyway, any tips or suggestions anyone can give/make would be very very appreciated.

Red Leader
05-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Joseph:

This thread may be beneficial to you:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55136&highlight=ballparks

BuckeyeRed27
05-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I did the all you can eat thing last season and its pretty cool. You really don't spend much time actually watching the game though and the view isn't the best. But it is all you can eat.

If you want to see the 1st inning I would plan on leaving early. Traffic in that area is awful. Just follow the signs for parking. You park all around the stadium and it really doesn't matter which lot you park in. It takes forever to get in and out any way you do it.

Moonlite Graham
05-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Trust me on this....cause I did the same thing as you two years ago. When you land at Orange County, go straight the hotel check in and then head out.

Yes I know it may only be about 1:00 at that point, but when I asked the concierge at my hotel when I should leave from the hotel to make the Dodgers game he said....."I would leave ASAP."

6 hours before the game, I was shocked but I took his advice. Left about 2,and sure enough it took about 3 hours to grind up I-5 the 40-45 miles it was to Dodger Stadium.

(Now this was a Friday rather than a Saturday, but in SoCal traffic knows no calendar!)

Now I like to get to a stadium Ive never been before as early as possible to check the whole thing out, so by getting there at 5 worked perfect for me.

Should you get lucky not incur the traffic that I did and get there sooner, you can always kill an hour or so by driving west down Sunset which is right near the stadium for some sightseeing.

Enjoy your trip. Dodger Stadium for being over 45 years old is definitely one of my favorite stadiums.

Jr's Boy
05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Pray for the Reds.I was at Chavez Ravine last year when they hit the skids.Nice ballpark and good fans.

Strikes Out Looking
05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
(Now this was a Friday rather than a Saturday, but in SoCal traffic knows no calendar!)

A little off topic, but I made it from Beverly Hills to Anaheim in 45 minutes on Christmas morning, so SoCal traffic is good at least one day a year!

Moonlite Graham
05-01-2007, 05:13 PM
A little off topic, but I made it from Beverly Hills to Anaheim in 45 minutes on Christmas morning, so SoCal traffic is good at least one day a year!

Then it was a Merry Christmas for you.:party:

Jr's Boy
05-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I took a cab.:)

VR
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Anyway, any tips or suggestions anyone can give/make would be very very appreciated.

just make sure you stop for a double/double at In & Out Burger

BuckeyeRed27
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
just make sure you stop for a double/double at In & Out Burger

Word.

Animal style fries too.

remdog
05-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Fatburger seriously puts In & Out to shame. :)

Rem

StillFunkyB
05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Fatburger seriously puts In & Out to shame. :)

Rem

I like that little "el taco" place right up the street from Newport...forget the name of the road it's on. I think there is an exotic car dealer right there.

I am also a big fan of In & Out, but Fatburger is good as well.

remdog
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
In Newport Beach there's an exotic car dealer everywhere. :laugh:

Rem

It just dawned on me that you might mean 'Del Taco'.

Joseph
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Any reason to be concerned for our safety in or around the ballpark? Thats the wifes big concern.

and thanks for everything offered so far.

RBA
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Don't forget to take your wife down to Old Town, the San Diego Zoo, and SeaWorld. Oh, and by the way, you can stop by Petco Park for another Reds Game.

RBA
05-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Any reason to be concerned for our safety in or around the ballpark? Thats the wifes big concern.

and thanks for everything offered so far.

Don't look into the eyes of anyone with a ballcap. Those are gangs. Pay the Parking attendent $30 extra to not mess with your car. Keep your wallet tucked in your briefs.

Wear your clothes inside out and if anybody approaches, yell, "Nobody scores on Danny Graves!" at the top of your lungs. If you look crazy, people will leave you alone.

Watch your step as the parking lot is littered with hookers, pimps and Hollywood actors doing blow off Courtney Love's naval.

remdog
05-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Joseph:

Now that RBA has given his best effort on behalf of the San Diego Chamber of Commerce to get you to travel south (something that is well worth it if you have the time) let me help you out. :laugh:

Driving from Anaheim to Dodger Stadium on a Saturday shouldn't be any problem. Check with the hotel front desk to see if they have a current traffic report. Mapquest the route before you go and tune to AM980 (KFWB) on the way---they have traffic reports every 10 minutes. They are also the Dodgers game station.

Safety should not be a problem. Chavez Ravine is sort of an island within the city and the Dodgers run a very safe ship. The place is safe, clean and beautiful. For a saturday game I would expect to see lots of families there. If you are heading straight back to Anaheim after the game it's just a matter of getting back on the freeway.

Someone mentioned Sunset Blvd. I don't know your age but if you want to go clubing on 'The Strip', West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. be advised that that part of Sunset is a long way from Dodger Stadium and personally, I wouldn't be sight seeing on the eastern end of Sunset at night. (Sunset Blvd. is one of the longest boulevards in the world---for some reason 26 miles long pops into my mind.)

RBA is correct in that the Reds play in S.D on the 14th, 15th and 16th and you could catch a game at Petco. On a weekday I would drive down mid-afternoon and it would be about a two hour drive. I'm in Morro Bay for a Jazz Festival the weekend of the Dodger series but I'm going to try to catch at least one of the games against the Pads. The area around Petco is hopin' and a lot of fun.

If you get time, come on down to Newport Beach/Laguna Beach, about 30 minutes south of Disneyland. Lot of nice things to do. Terrific shopping, dining, art gallaries, beaches, etc. (BTW, current water temp is 59 degrees :eek: so you may want to limit your time in the water. :laugh: )

If I can help you with more specific info let me know either here or via PM. I'm leaving Thursday morning for the San Francisco Bay area, be back late Sunday night. (Now, if you want to see some bad traffic check SF.....I can't imagine how bad it's going to be with the Bay Bridge out now....:( )

Rem

Joseph
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Good stuffs guys. Thanks for the tips, particularly the ones about ignoring RBA. :)