PDA

View Full Version : Leader of the Reds ?

Will
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I have a question everyone. Who is the Leader or Leaders of the Reds ? Do we have a strong player or players who shows the way on this team ? I really can't see one at the moment.

Degenerate39
05-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Griffey? Maybe Dunn?

gilpdawg
05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Griffey is the one everybody thinks of at the moment. Although it's mostly negative, sadly.

Tom Servo
05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Norris Hopper.

Joseph
05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
He's "new" but I'd wager Hatteberg is a strong 'leader' type.

Even more 'new' is Conine, but I bet he tells it like it is too.

WMR
05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Marty Brennaman.

What, you didn't get the memo?

Will
05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Marty Brennaman.

What, you didn't get the memo?

You been drinking the beer they handed the cop when he stopped the van ?:laugh:

HUHUH
05-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Griffey? Maybe Dunn?

HAH! Griffey a leader? We all know that is a big negative.

Ltlabner
05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Maybe there is a "clubhouse" leader, but my perception is there are some personalties that prefer to lead by example, rather than really take charge and establish that they are leaders.

Wheelhouse
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't know who it is now, but by the end of the year it will be Jeff Conine.

griffeyfreak4
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Eric Milton. Period.

Razor Shines
05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I thought it was Red Leader. Why would he have that name if it were not true, am I wrong?

KronoRed
05-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Stay on target.

RBA
05-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Juan Castro. I heard some call him, "the Dictator".

Will
05-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I guess my question has been answered. No true Leader among the Reds players as of yet.

Yachtzee
05-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Castro is the leader of the Reds, . . . in Cuba.

TeamBoone
05-01-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't think we, as fans, could know one way or the other.

RedEye
05-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Yes, it is hard to know how these players really relate to one another. We do have impressions though, don't we? Can't we tell something by the way the players interact and carry themselves at games?

So... who is this team's Barry Larkin?

These are highly speculative, but here are my hunches about players and their personalities and roles on the team. I don't know if these are the players' true personalities or if they are just the ones they "project" to the media, but here goes nothing... let me know if you have similar perspectives.

Griffey - Inspires respect with HOF numbers but prefers to be "just one of the guys" - keeps people loose with constant jibes but also has mood swings once in awhile.

Dunn - Similar to Griffey in many ways without the moody streak. He's sort of like the class clown who also happens to hit towering home runs on a regular basis.

Freel - Consumate team player but not a born leader. Kind of like that guy you know who is nice but a bit too intense sometimes. Glad to have him on your team, but he's a bit too awkward socially to inspire everyone's confidence in times of crisis.

Hamilton - Still kind of an unknown quantity. Great talent and seems like a great guy... but no one really knows him too well yet because he always has to go straight home after games.

Gonzalez - Definitely not a leader except through his defensive prowess and general sangfroid. Quiet as a mouse and lets his glove do the talking. No inspirational speeches out of Seabass, that's for sure.

Phillips - Definite potential leader here. Charismatic and laid back with a good sense of humor and a good work ethic. Wants to do what is good for the team after false start in Cleveland. Relates well to everyone and treats them with respect.

Encarnacion - Language barrier stymied him early on, but starting to come out of his shell. As he gains confidence, becomes a bigger presence (although sometimes that can be a negative thing, as with the pouting several games ago). A lot of room to grow still.

Hatteberg, Conine, Valentin, Ross - Cagey veterans and consistent clubhouse presences. They "do their jobs" and "play the game the right way." They are the reason these clichés exist. Perhaps a leadership committee is actually the way this team works right now?

Arroyo - Rock star who gets all the ladies playing early 90s grunge covers. Does his job on the mound and then does a good job finding hip night spots for after the game. Social leader potential, although that might be more for "extracurriculars" than for baseball.

Harang - Quiet and unassuming. Leads the starting staff by example rather than vocal presence in the clubhouse. Could take on the mantle of leader if no one else stepped up, but rarely gets the call.

Guardado - Closer and inspirational leader equally important roles for the bullpen. Greatly missed and a healthy return should help the RPs fall into their roles.

Lohse, Belisle - Too young and unestablished to have leadership roles. Could develop them if they stick around.

Weathers, Stanton - Could be added to the veteran "leadership committee" mentioned above.

What say you?

AmarilloRed
05-02-2007, 12:19 AM
To answer your question, we really have no leaders yet. Maybe some will develop this season.