PDA

View Full Version : Run in with a Cubs fan

Ltlabner
05-03-2007, 07:49 AM
So I am in Lafayette, Indiana which is about half the distance between Indy and Chicago for the geographically challenged. I go to the hotel bar for a lite dinner before I retreat back to my room, laptop and the soothing sounds of Reds on Radio over the internet (and of course, chat).

On cashing out my bill I said something to the bartender about, "gotta go catch the Reds game". The other bartender then blurts out, "You know this is Cubs country don't you?" :rolleyes: I'm thinking to myself, "Isn't this Boilermakers country???" While I'm contemplating how fun this conversation is going to be he then followed with, sorry to hear about the Reds. double :rolleyes:

So I politey, and somewhat casually, said, "sorry to hear about Prior and Wood.....again". "Yea", he grunted, "those guys are always out. We ought to just release them". And then he follows it up with, "Dunn still striking out every at bat". :angry:

So then, pretty torked, I parried with, "All that money for Sorriano, think he'll produce when he's 38?".

At this point he sorta backed off. This is a bartender and I am the customer but I guess being a Cubs fan he felt obligated to be a jerk. (shrug) [shrug, copyright Remdog, 2007. In Angus We Rock]

rotnoid
05-03-2007, 07:53 AM
That's the same kind of guy that will be dropping F-bombs in the men's room line the next time the Cubs are in town. I love taking my kids to Reds-Cubs games at GABP, they always learn new words for the ride home.

remdog
05-03-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm leaving for the Bay area in a few hours. I usually get similar comments about the Dodgers (even though I'm not a Dodger fan) or I get someone telling me what a great player Barry Bonds is. (Famous shrug) Goes with the territory (literally and figuratively).

Rem

KronoRed
05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Always ask Cub fans about 1908, that seems to shut them up :D

BuckWoody
05-03-2007, 09:08 AM
We ran into a handful of mouthy Cubs fans (is that redundant?) in a bar a couple years when they beat us pretty good on Opening Day. One of the guys spouted off with, "Free drinks for Cubs fans when the Cubs win, right?" I said, "Yup, about once every hundred years."

Not sure how clever and pithy that was but it did shut him up.

Also, you can easily mock the "Lets Go Cubbies!" chant they always do with "Nineteen Oh Eight!"...same cadence and everything. :thumbup:

registerthis
05-03-2007, 09:26 AM

Wonder if they're planning a centennial celebration next year to mark the event?

westofyou
05-03-2007, 09:40 AM

Even better ask about the set lineup of Durocher in 69 and that big September lead that vanished.

blark11
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
I went to Purdue and had many run-ins such as this while I was there. Especially during their run in the playoffs a few years ago. Everyone there magically turned into a diehard fan. This was even though most of them couldn't name half their team.

registerthis
05-03-2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.nndb.com/people/979/000026901/steve-bartman.jpg

Johnny Footstool
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
The Chicago Cubs: the favorite team of people who don't follow baseball.

MrCinatit
05-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Of course, you could give them the "true" Cubs fan test: ask them for the full name of their best pitcher in '08 (even spot them the "Brown"), then the name of their famous double play combination - first names inclusive.
Chances are, they will have no answers.
"If you were a real Cubs fan, you would know that kind of stuff."

Edd Roush
05-03-2007, 10:09 AM
The Chicago Cubs: the favorite team of people who don't follow baseball.

I don't know, for sure it used to be that way. But the Red Sox hat is becoming awfully trendy and there are a lot of girls around campus who are Yankees' fans. I was actually surprised to not see too many Cubs' hats around campus.

George Anderson
05-03-2007, 10:15 AM
http://www.nndb.com/people/979/000026901/steve-bartman.jpg

The treatment the idiot Cub fans gave this guy says it all.

I wonder whatever happened to him?? Last I heard he was voluntarily run out of Chicago.

Chip R
05-03-2007, 10:16 AM
The treatment the idiot Cub fans gave this guy says it all.

I wonder whatever happened to him?? Last I heard he was voluntarily run out of Chicago.

How can you be voluntarily ran out of somewhere?

George Anderson
05-03-2007, 10:17 AM
How can you be voluntarily ran out of somewhere?

Um ...Its kinda like if you dont leave we will make it to where you want to leave.

Chip R
05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Um ...Its kinda like if you dont leave we will make it to where you want to leave.

Then it wasn't voluntarily. He either left town voluntarily or was ran out of town. It can't be both.

As much as I like to make fun of Cubs fans, I doubt any other group of fans would have reacted any better if the same thing happened in their ballpark to their team.

membengal
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Wait til Tony LaRussa finds out about this thread. THEN you all are gonna get it...

George Anderson
05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Then it wasn't voluntarily. He either left town voluntarily or was ran out of town. It can't be both.

As much as I like to make fun of Cubs fans, I doubt any other group of fans would have reacted any better if the same thing happened in their ballpark to their team.

Ok, he was run out of town then. Which is something that would not happen in many MLB cities.

westofyou
05-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Ok, he was run out of town then. Which is something that would not happen in many MLB cities.

Which is kind alike saying that they care more in Cubs land eh?

Fact is the Cubs have been a steady draw for 135 years or so, never a lull, never a champion either (since Teddy was President) mostly because they have a huge base to draw from, but also because a mess of them actually do give a crap. Sure they are annoying but I myself have never found Cubs fans any worse then any other fans myself. There are bad fans everywhere, even here.

George Anderson
05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Which is kind alike saying that they care more in Cubs land eh?

How much a city cares about a team doesnt justify the ridiculous harrassment Bartman took for what was an honest mistake.

westofyou
05-03-2007, 10:42 AM
How much a city cares about a team doesnt justify the ridiculous harrassment Bartman took for what was an honest mistake.

Ya think?

It's just sports right? Yet Reds fans let Cubs fans rub them the wrong way every day of the year. It's kinda goofy as well IMO.

Chip R
05-03-2007, 10:42 AM

I could see it happen here very easily. WLW would be broadcasting the guy's name, address and phone number before the game was over. I think it's be worse here since Cincinnati is much smaller than Chicago. Fewer places to hide.

George Anderson
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Ya think?

It's just sports right? Yet Reds fans let Cubs fans rub them the wrong way every day of the year. It's kinda goofy as well IMO.

Cubs fans rub me wrong as well to. Bartman would have really rubbed me wrong to had I been a Cubs fan. The key difference is myself or I doubt most Reds would not throw things at him, stalk him, drive by his house and shout insults or make threatening phone calls to his house. There are going to be a few nutcases that do this but not to the degree that Cub fans did to Bartman. In general Reds fans are more well behaved than Cub fans, just go to a Reds/Cub game and gauge who acts like bigger idiots if you dont believe me.

TeamBoone
05-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh Abner! You were much much kinder than I would have been. Just reading that exchange got my blood boiling!

You're a better man than I am. :)

Redsland
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Last I heard he was voluntarily run out of Chicago.
Not true. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman) He still lives in Chicago and works in the IT department at Hewitt Associates.

He was, however, offered "asylum" in Florida in the days after the event, and was offered many talk show engagements and so forth, but declined them all (stupidly, IMHO).

George Anderson
05-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Not true. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman) He still lives in Chicago and works in the IT department at Hewitt Associates.

He was, however, offered "asylum" in Florida in the days after the event, and was offered many talk show engagements and so forth, but declined them all (stupidly, IMHO).

Something tells me Bartman and Dr. Richard Kimball have much in common. :)

SunDeck
05-03-2007, 12:26 PM
The quotes that started this thread seemed pretty benign to me. I wasn't there, so I don't know the body language and tone that accompanied, but I'd recommend a little thicker skin. It does sound unusual coming from a bartender- I mean the point is to generate tips, not turn people off- but I have known a few who draw customers in by bantering a bit.

Personally, I like the challenge of those kinds of situations- it's usually meant in fun.

pahster
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Sure they are annoying but I myself have never found Cubs fans any worse then any other fans myself. There are bad fans everywhere, even here.

Indeed. I've had many more problems with Reds fans at games (because my girlfriend likes the Cubs) than I ever have with Cubs fans.

fearofpopvol1
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Lafayette is definitely filled with Cubs fans. Indianapolis is pretty split with Reds/Cubs fans...although I'd still say there are more Cubs fans.

Pinch Hits
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I was blowing a buddy of mine (Cubs fan) some stuff the other day and he said "It's BIG" and another buddy of mine (Cards fan) says "They are big, they just don't win!" Even the Cubs fan had to laugh....

Jr's Boy
05-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Bring back the goat to Wrigley!

dman
05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Wonder if they're planning a centennial celebration next year to mark the event?

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

westofyou
05-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Indeed. I've had many more problems with Reds fans at games (because my girlfriend likes the Cubs) than I ever have with Cubs fans.

There are jerks everywhere, living in the midst of the Giant/Dodger rivalry showed me how one side can really get worked up about it (Giants Fans) while the other side doesn't give a rats behind what the other guys team is doing... until the other guy gets in his face and screams "GIANTS"

Jr's Boy
05-03-2007, 12:49 PM

I would have been gone to sunny Florida.They probably would have hooked him up with a beach house or something courtesy of the Marlins.

Razor Shines
05-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I was blowing a buddy of mine (Cubs fan) some stuff the other day and he said "It's BIG" and another buddy of mine (Cards fan) says "They are big, they just don't win!" Even the Cubs fan had to laugh....

I'm very confused by that paragraph, and "blowing" must mean something different than I thought it did.

Pinch Hits
05-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm very confused by that paragraph, and "blowing" must mean something different than I thought it did.

I was keeping it under "R" rated. I appreciate the jab though....:thumbup:

Jr's Boy
05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Sorry,but I had too.:devil:

Pinch Hits
05-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Sorry,but I had too.:devil:

I'd have done the same thing;)

Ltlabner
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
The quotes that started this thread seemed pretty benign to me. I wasn't there, so I don't know the body language and tone that accompanied, but I'd recommend a little thicker skin. It does sound unusual coming from a bartender- I mean the point is to generate tips, not turn people off- but I have known a few who draw customers in by bantering a bit.

Personally, I like the challenge of those kinds of situations- it's usually meant in fun.

He didn't say anything that hurt my fealings, in which case I would need the thicker skin you referenced. He was just being a cocky punk which I thought odd considering (1) It's the Cubs for crying out loud and (2) I'm the customer (3) I'm a total stranger (4) I am considerably older than he appears to be

He wasn't bantering for tips. In fact, that was the first time he had spoken to me all night. The other guy working was the one waiting on me while I ate. This guy just piped up once he heard Reds. So he wasn't trying to work me for any money (and the bantering for tips business is a pretty dumb way to go about doing that for me personally. I don't want interplay and dialog with the server/bartender. I want my food and drinks delivered quickly and with minimal distractions).

Screwball
05-03-2007, 07:11 PM

:confused: :help:

jojo
05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
So I am in Lafayette, Indiana which is about half the distance between Indy and Chicago for the geographically challenged. I go to the hotel bar for a lite dinner before I retreat back to my room, laptop and the soothing sounds of Reds on Radio over the internet (and of course, chat).

On cashing out my bill I said something to the bartender about, "gotta go catch the Reds game". The other bartender then blurts out, "You know this is Cubs country don't you?" :rolleyes: I'm thinking to myself, "Isn't this Boilermakers country???" While I'm contemplating how fun this conversation is going to be he then followed with, sorry to hear about the Reds. double :rolleyes:

So I politey, and somewhat casually, said, "sorry to hear about Prior and Wood.....again". "Yea", he grunted, "those guys are always out. We ought to just release them". And then he follows it up with, "Dunn still striking out every at bat". :angry:

So then, pretty torked, I parried with, "All that money for Sorriano, think he'll produce when he's 38?".

At this point he sorta backed off. This is a bartender and I am the customer but I guess being a Cubs fan he felt obligated to be a jerk. (shrug) [shrug, copyright Remdog, 2007. In Angus We Rock]

I spent several years at Purdue U.... Lafayette really isn't Cubs country....

Degenerate39
05-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Just about everyday at school there's one real smartass that absolutely hates the Reds and when they lose he says "How about them Reds?". He's a Braves fan so I just say "The Reds had a better record then Atlanta last year didn't they." Then he quickly remarks about the last time the Reds made it to the playoffs. I retalliate with "If we had been in the NL East for the last 10 years we would've been to the playoffs plenty." It keeps going back in fourth like that. Today he said "How about that ANDREW JONES BABY!" and I replied "What about him he's batting .250 with what 5 homers?"

In conclusion I hate the Braves with a passion because of this joker.

redsfan1966
05-03-2007, 11:17 PM
any fans of the superstation teams (Cubs and Braves) I have found to be ill-informed and loudmouths at best....and by the way, Wrigley Field is a dump...

FeartheEars
05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Being a current Boilermaker, I have to agree that there are a lot of Cubs fans in area but there are also a good representation of Reds fans as well. There are also a good amount of Cardinals and White Sox fans. I have been seeing more and more Reds gear around campus this year. Its nice that the Reds, Cards, and White Sox fans can all have fun ripping on Cubs fans together. Hopefully the Reds can continue their success against the Cubs, it makes it much easier to be around their fans. Looking forward to being done with finals and back in Cincinnati to see some games next week.