PDA

View Full Version : Krivsky still talkin' to Leatherpants

Screwball
05-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Per Lance's blog:

"Things I'm told
Reds interest in a closer led them to talks with the Nationals about Chad Cordero. Conversation began and ended with Washington's demand for Homer Bailey."

I know Krivsky didn't rule out ever trading with Bowden again after last year's Trade, but my goodness, I think I'd stay as far away from that snake as possible. Homer Bailey for Chad Cordero? You gotta be kidding me. Shoulda just asked for Adam Dunn, Bowden. That sounds like it'd be right up WK's alley.

edabbs44
05-05-2007, 03:54 PM
First, WK should worry about getting the lead to the 9th inning. Getting a closer would be a waste, IMO, unless they got one or two good set-up men as well.

KronoRed
05-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Can't blame Bowden for asking, worked last time ;)

AdamDunn
05-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Haha... he wanted Bailey. What a joke.

reds44
05-05-2007, 04:02 PM
We should have traded Dunn for Soriano........

He even offered it 4 times.

Degenerate39
05-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Why couldn't we have traded Kearns and Lopez for Cordero?

KronoRed
05-05-2007, 04:10 PM
We should have traded Dunn for Soriano........

He even offered it 4 times.

No way, Soriano would be long gone and we'd have a draft pick to show for it.

No thanks.

Joseph
05-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Krivsky would only be hurting himself and the Reds if he took a team off the board to trade with. Likewise Bowden isn't wrong for asking about Bailey. If that team needs anything it's young pitching. Hopefully both aren't stupid enough to prevent that from carrying on with negotiations.

Screwball
05-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Likewise Bowden isn't wrong for asking about Bailey.

You sure about that? There's a reason the Nationals don't even have a first round draft pick to show for Soriano.

savafan
05-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Krivsky would only be hurting himself and the Reds if he took a team off the board to trade with. Likewise Bowden isn't wrong for asking about Bailey. If that team needs anything it's young pitching. Hopefully both aren't stupid enough to prevent that from carrying on with negotiations.

Well said Joseph! :clap:

Joseph
05-05-2007, 04:37 PM
You sure about that? There's a reason the Nationals don't even have a first round draft pick to show for Soriano.

His past mistakes don't make his current actions wrong. If I have a player the Reds want I'm asking for Bailey, Votto, Bruce, and Cueto most likely. Why is it wrong that Bowden did it? Is it just because he was a colossal pain in the rump here? Thats everyone else's problem, not his. He's got a club to GM, not keep Reds fans happy or apologize for his past.

And thank you Sava. :)

Screwball
05-05-2007, 04:48 PM
His past mistakes don't make his current actions wrong. If I have a player the Reds want I'm asking for Bailey, Votto, Bruce, and Cueto most likely. Why is it wrong that Bowden did it? Is it just because he was a colossal pain in the rump here? Thats everyone else's problem, not his. He's got a club to GM, not keep Reds fans happy or apologize for his past.

And thank you Sava. :)

No, he's not wrong when he asks for those players. There's no harm in at least seeing if you can get a dollar for a badly wanted nickel. But if the conversation starts and ends with, "Homer Bailey for Chad Cordero", well that's just not going to get you very far when you're trying to rebuild a franchise.

Starting at Homer Bailey and then seeing what you can get? Fine. Starting and ending with Homer Bailey? Gimme a break.

Joseph
05-05-2007, 04:52 PM
No, he's not wrong when he asks for those players. There's no harm in at least seeing if you can get a dollar for a badly wanted nickel. But if the conversation starts and ends with, "Homer Bailey for Chad Cordero", well that's just not going to get you very far when you're trying to rebuild a franchise.

Starting at Homer Bailey and then seeing what you can get? Fine. Starting and ending with Homer Bailey? Gimme a break.

My mistake, I misinterpreted what you said. I agree with that sentiment and said so in my earlier post, both should not be stupid enough to let that request end negotiations.

Screwball
05-05-2007, 05:03 PM
My mistake, I misinterpreted what you said. I agree with that sentiment and said so in my earlier post, both should not be stupid enough to let that request end negotiations.

Then we're agreed.:beerme:

Can I still hate Leatherpants though? :evil:

Joseph
05-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Then we're agreed.:beerme:

Can I still hate Leatherpants though? :evil:

Nothing wrong with disliking him for what he did here, or his personality, or his car, or his clothing.....

KronoRed
05-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Nothing wrong with disliking him for what he did here, or his personality, or his car, or his clothing.....

His Hair?

:D

Joseph
05-05-2007, 05:58 PM
His Hair?

:D

Ok, just this once. :)

storrs19
05-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Leatherpants is a crook. We certainly got robbed last year with that miserable trade. It was not so much losing Lopez and Kearns (although that hurt) but look what we got: An old shortstop who has never been more than mediocre, some rotten bullpen pitchers and one who may be good if he gets healthy (Bill Bray). Yes, we got the preverbeal screw. What happened to the good old days like when we got Randy Myers from The Mets?

redsmetz
05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Leatherpants is a crook. We certainly got robbed last year with that miserable trade. It was not so much losing Lopez and Kearns (although that hurt) but look what we got: An old shortstop who has never been more than mediocre, some rotten bullpen pitchers and one who may be good if he gets healthy (Bill Bray). Yes, we got the preverbeal screw. What happened to the good old days like when we got Randy Myers from The Mets?

Let's see, we got two years of Randy Myers with 37 saves compared to the Mets getting 14 years of John Franco and 272 saves. Not to mention that Franco had 63 saves in those same two years. Nothing against Myers who made up a nice corps of relievers in 1990; but I don't think I want to make that trade very often.

REDREAD
05-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't blame any club for asking for Homer.

Think about it, if you have a closer and the Reds ask for a trade, who are you going to ask for?

Dunn.. since his option is voided on a trade.. no
EdE .. Yes, even though his stock is down
Homer.. Yes
Harang, Arroyo.. Yes.

I don't see anyone else that a team with a decent, established closer would settle for. Freel or Phillips just isn't going to get it done. Hamilton likely doesn't get it done either.. Maybe Bruce and a couple other prospects.

We have to realize that this teams' trade bait has dwindled down to a very low level. It's going to hurt to acquire some established, prime talent simply because we really don't have any excess talent anywhere.

Stingray
05-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't blame any club for asking for Homer.

Think about it, if you have a closer and the Reds ask for a trade, who are you going to ask for?

Dunn.. since his option is voided on a trade.. no
EdE .. Yes, even though his stock is down
Homer.. Yes
Harang, Arroyo.. Yes.

I don't see anyone else that a team with a decent, established closer would settle for. Freel or Phillips just isn't going to get it done. Hamilton likely doesn't get it done either.. Maybe Bruce and a couple other prospects.We have to realize that this teams' trade bait has dwindled down to a very low level. It's going to hurt to acquire some established, prime talent simply because we really don't have any excess talent anywhere.

I wouldn't trade Bruce even up for a closer. Bruce is another guy a team can build around.

A small market team has to keep it's high ceiling young players. It's the only way the Reds can keep outstanding talent for 6-9 years. Trade for an established player(closer or otherwise) and you get to keep him 2 or 3 years, at a high salary and he's gone. A pitcher is particularly high risk because of potential injury or decline.

Degenerate39
05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Why not trade Bray and Majewski for Cordero?

REDREAD
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't trade Bruce even up for a closer. Bruce is another guy a team can build around.

A small market team has to keep it's high ceiling young players. It's the only way the Reds can keep outstanding talent for 6-9 years. Trade for an established player(closer or otherwise) and you get to keep him 2 or 3 years, at a high salary and he's gone. A pitcher is particularly high risk because of potential injury or decline.

Sure, I wouldn't trade Bruce for a closer either right now. However, if this team only lacked a closer to win a division title, I would.

Effective closers (and I'm speaking in general, not specifically about Cordero) command a high price in the trade market. My point is that a team is going to want premium talent in return.. A couple B prospects isn't going to work.

Patrick Bateman
05-07-2007, 02:54 PM
I think Cordero is the most overrated relief pitcher since Gary Majewski.

He clearly has a high upside, but up to this point, I think he has been a huge beneficiary of great luck and a staunch pitchers park. His control and homerun rate are getting out of control.

Giving up top young prospects for a guy that is on the verge of getting expensive and IMO is not all that good right now would be a collosal mistake. The return and salary required for Cordero in the future is not worth what he is going to offer.

Jharb74
05-07-2007, 05:13 PM
All I know is can Krivsky ever do any trades with anyone other than those related to the Twins or Nationals? Aren't there more teams out there?

Ltlabner
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
All I know is can Krivsky ever do any trades with anyone other than those related to the Twins or Nationals? Aren't there more teams out there?

You mean like the A's (Sarrloos, Deno trade).

Or the Royals (LaRue)

Or the Marlins (Cody Ross)

Or Seattle (Everyday Eddie)

Or Philly (Cormier and someone else I am forgetting).

Yep, Wayne's phone only dials 612 and 202 area codes alright.

Patrick Bateman
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Let's see, we got two years of Randy Myers with 37 saves compared to the Mets getting 14 years of John Franco and 272 saves. Not to mention that Franco had 63 saves in those same two years. Nothing against Myers who made up a nice corps of relievers in 1990; but I don't think I want to make that trade very often.

Back at that time, the Reds traded guys who were son to be FA's for younger (yet established) players.

One year of Franco was flipped for 2 years of Myers. One (further) year of Myers was flipped for 2 years of Bip Roberts. And so on.

It's why O'Neil was traded. The Reds felt he wasn't worth what he would get as a FA, so he was moved for Roberto Kelly.