PDA

View Full Version : Edwin to the Halos?

KoryMac5
05-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Per Mlb Trade Rumors.com: From the L.A. side, Mike DiGiovanna adds several players on the Halos' radar: Kevin Mench, Jacque Jones, Pat Burrell, Emil Brown, Morgan Ensberg, and Edwin Encarnacion. DiGiovanna agrees that Santana is the top trading chip. Santana could really blossom in the National League.

Has Edwin fallen out of favor that fast?

membengal
05-06-2007, 11:09 AM
If there was a chance to get Ervin Santana, trading EE would be fine.

Degenerate39
05-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I hope not I like Edwin. And hes coming out of his slump

reds44
05-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Don't do it.

OnBaseMachine
05-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm a big fan of Ervin Santana, but I don't think I'd trade Edwin for him. The Angels would have to throw in someone else before I would consider it.

mth123
05-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Why would the Angels be trading a young starter for a young 3B when they already have the 3B of the future in Brandon Wood? I'd think they'd be more interested in Dunn.

Wheelhouse
05-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Why would the Angels be trading a young starter for a young 3B when they already have the 3B of the future in Brandon Wood? I'd think they'd be more interested in Dunn.

The rumor could stem from the Reds offering Edwin.

mth123
05-06-2007, 11:52 AM
The rumor could stem from the Reds offering Edwin.

Very possible. He seems like he's out of favor and it could be the knee jerk reaction to keep the owner happy.

Wheelhouse
05-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm a big fan of Ervin Santana, but I don't think I'd trade Edwin for him. The Angels would have to throw in someone else before I would consider it.

OBM I like your enthusiasm (how many layers of irony are in that!) but I think you overvalue Edwin. His defense is a major drawback to his trade value. Because of that he'd be a middle of the league third baseman in the AL if he blossomed at the plate. If.

Falls City Beer
05-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Oh really?

This team needs a #3 starter?

You don't say........:devil:

I wish I'd have thought of that in the offseason.

TC81190
05-06-2007, 11:56 AM
I like the rotation, that's not our problem. I'd need Santana AND a good bullpen arm, not a prospect, someone who can come in and give us a 3 ERA right now.

reds44
05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Look at Ervin Santana's career splits.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7547/splits;_ylt=AhE6iwpGcydfA6N6n6b5WmaFCLcF?year=care er&type=Pitching
Home: 3.01 ERA
Away: 6.66 ERA

Stay far away. Far away. There's a reason they have been trying to dump this guy for 3 years now.

Falls City Beer
05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I like the rotation, that's not our problem. I'd need Santana AND a good bullpen arm, not a prospect, someone who can come in and give us a 3 ERA right now.

Better rotation = better bullpen.

Though I do wonder how much Santana would actually help the team. He is an extreme flyball pitcher who would be joining a pitching staff stuffed with flyball pitchers.

NorrisHopper30
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Keep Edwin, we don't need starters. He's finally breaking out of his slump.

flyer85
05-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't know why the Angels would want him. They have moved Wood to 3B.

Joseph
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Keep Edwin, we don't need starters. He's finally breaking out of his slump.

I agree with keeping Edwin, but please don't ever say we don't need starters. We have 2 that I have confidence in, the rest are pitching respectably enough, but that doesn't mean I don't want to add more. As stated, improving the rotation bumps a pitcher to the pen which makes that better and thats our Achilles heel.

edabbs44
05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
I'd deal Edwin for Ervin in a second.

HokieRed
05-06-2007, 12:54 PM
It amazes me how quickly this management has turned around on Edwin, if that's the case. Might say the same of some of this and other forums too. Last year he looked like the answer at third base for the next six or seven years, now everybody's talking about moving him somewhere or other. I like Ervin Santana, but improving the rotation on this club is not going to make much difference as long as we have the current bullpen. Besides, there's no salary reason to trade Edwin. If he can't play third base but can get back to last year's offensive levels, I think he should be considered for a move to the outfield. Then Dunn goes to first base unless Votto starts to pick it up a lot. Or we move Dunn and reinvest the 13 million we'd be paying him next year. But as far as Edwin goes, I wish the management would just get out of his head and let him play. He fought through slumps in the minor leagues and he'll fight through this one too.

RedsManRick
05-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I'd argue that the marginal gain from whomever Santana replaces in the rotation would be offset by the loss to whomever replaces EE at 3B. We don't have a viable option at 3B besides Freel and I don't think we have enough power in the lineup to lose EE. No real 3B options in the pipeline either.

Joseph
05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I'd argue that the marginal gain from whomever Santana replaces in the rotation would be offset by the loss to whomever replaces EE at 3B. We have viable option at 3B besides Freel and I don't think we have enough power in the lineup to lose EE. No real 3B options in the pipeline either.

MAybe we can move Josh Hamilton to 3b?

Thats said in complete jest in reference to the Kearns thing a couple years back.

KronoRed
05-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Freel the everyday 3rd baseman? trading the only real thread of right handed power on the team for a SP we don't really need?

Yuck.

icehole3
05-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I agree Krono, trade Edwin and watch the "We dont have any RH power in this lineup threads double even triple."

CTA513
05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
The Reds have Herr and Keppinger in AAA and they both have played 3B before, but Im not sure how they are defensively.

Highlifeman21
05-06-2007, 03:07 PM
MAybe we can move Josh Hamilton to 3b?

Thats said in complete jest in reference to the Kearns thing a couple years back.

Didn't they also have WMP take groundballs @ 3B a couple STs ago?

Johnny Footstool
05-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't understand the fascination with Ervin Santana. He's got a very bland K/9, a poor K/BB, and he's a flyball pitcher. Meh.

KoryMac5
05-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I think Edwin gets dealt this year for pitching. Krivs and Narron are both big on players that play both ways hence the main reason Lopez was run out of town. I know there has been some recent talk with Washington about Cordero. What about calling San Diego in regards to Scott Linebrink or Otsuka from Texas. I may even consider inquiring about Atlanta's young catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia but Atlanta wants the moon for him and Jones plays third already. It will all depend on how Edwin's defense continues to improve or get worse as the year progresses.

lollipopcurve
05-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd argue that the marginal gain from whomever Santana replaces in the rotation would be offset by the loss to whomever replaces EE at 3B. We don't have a viable option at 3B besides Freel and I don't think we have enough power in the lineup to lose EE. No real 3B options in the pipeline either.

Agree all the way. EdE is young, plays a position that's hard to fill and hits righthanded with sock. Bad, bad, idea to trade him, in my opinion.

Marc D
05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
This is the rub with trading anyone on our MLB roster that isn't in the pen or plays 1B. There is no replacement.

If you want to trade EE you have to get back another young, cheap, high ceiling, MLB ready 3B PLUS whatever it is you were trying to trade for(pitching). Does he command that kind of price? I dunno but I doubt it. Could WK pull it off even if EE had that kind of value? I dunno but I doubt it.

Xavier Redleg
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Maybe we can trade Edwin for that other Santana - you know, the one from Minnesota.

Eric_Davis
05-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Krivsky is not going to trade EE while he's in a slump. Sounds like it's not a valid trade rumor and that it's just a bunch of guys that are slumping who's names were thrown into a mix.

I'm sure EE is going to be a RED for many a year......and be a very good one at that.

WVRed
05-06-2007, 07:48 PM

For me, it would be a fair swap. Edwin has showed little effort at times, even though he is starting to come out of his slump. Santana on the other hand won 16 games last year, but the 21 HRs are a little bit alarming.

Anaheim is loaded with infielders, so I don't see where Edwin would fit in.

Stingray
05-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I think Edwin gets dealt this year for pitching. Krivs and Narron are both big on players that play both ways hence the main reason Lopez was run out of town. I know there has been some recent talk with Washington about Cordero. What about calling San Diego in regards to Scott Linebrink or Otsuka from Texas. I may even consider inquiring about Atlanta's young catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia but Atlanta wants the moon for him and Jones plays third already. It will all depend on how Edwin's defense continues to improve or get worse as the year progresses.

I keep seeing references to EE being a poor 3rd baseman. Stick with him and the Reds will have a gold glover. He's got great range and quick reflexes. He's 24 - lots of young fielders have trouble with throws. It's something that improves with time. He's already shown strong improvement in that area.

He's a better fielder right now than Castro(and Freel). His range more than makes up for his occassional bad throw. He's a guy you can build around if the Reds cease playing mental games with him. It seems to me Narron handles young players poorly.

redsmetz
05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not convinced that management is as down on EE as some posters would lead us to believe. I think Jerry Narron likes Eddie a lot, but wants to continue to have him develop and better his play. Just MO.

AmarilloRed
05-07-2007, 12:56 AM
it would make some sense as a rumor if we actually had someone else who could play 3b,on the reds or in the minors.:laugh:

George Anderson
05-07-2007, 01:48 AM
it would make some sense as a rumor if we actually had someone else who could play 3b,on the reds or in the minors.:laugh:

Its not hard to find a journeyman type player to fill a hole like third base if the end results was the third baseman you traded brought you in a quality arm. Not that I am for or against this trade, but never ever pass on a chance to acquire good pitching.

Razor Shines
05-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Its not hard to find a journeyman type player to fill a hole like third base if the end results was the third baseman you traded brought you in a quality arm. Not that I am for or against this trade, but never ever pass on a chance to acquire good pitching.

I agree. I would have no problem with the Reds trading EE for some real quality pitching. I just don't think that Santana is enough of a quality pitcher to justify giving up Encarnacion. But there's no way I'd say that EE is off limits if the trade was good enough.

Topcat
05-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Just another sad case of filling one hole and creating another. This is not the type of deals the Red's need to be making now. Trade the dust for whatever and then polish up some the minor league Pitchers to help stock the MLB team. That being said, no homer, no Cueto, no Watson, no Bruce.