PDA

View Full Version : Clemens to the Yanks...........

hebroncougar
05-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Roger Clemens has announced he will resign with the Yankees in a dramatic announcement from the owners box, according to Yahoo. Discuss.

wojo1025
05-06-2007, 03:33 PM
So much for Uncle Milty going there I guess?!!@#

jojo
05-06-2007, 03:36 PM
So much for Uncle Milty going there I guess?!!@#

Im sure Milton was their second choice..... :thumbup:

Degenerate39
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Im sure Milton was their second choice..... :thumbup:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Highlifeman21
05-06-2007, 04:21 PM
15 Mil for the rest of the season sound about right?

adampad
05-06-2007, 04:28 PM
$4.5 million per month for June, July, August and September!!! He will bacisally be getting $750k or so per start.

Money is no object to the Yanks.

Joseph
05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
28 million pro-rated.

edabbs44
05-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I hope he bombs.

Dracodave
05-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I hope he bombs.

So do I. But thats nothing personal against Clemens. I just wanna see this decision back fire on the Yanks:laugh:

edabbs44
05-06-2007, 07:01 PM
So do I. But thats nothing personal against Clemens. I just wanna see this decision back fire on the Yanks:laugh:

Mine is both because of Clemens and the Yankees. I'm sick of Roger's annual appeal to Houston, Boston and NY.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-06-2007, 07:18 PM
*dreams of the day I could put in 3 months of work for 28 million*

blumj
05-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Mine is both because of Clemens and the Yankees. I'm sick of Roger's annual appeal to Houston, Boston and NY.
Just a guess, but I imagine him going back to NY effectively eliminates both Boston and Houston from seriously engaging in next year's sweepstakes.

justincredible
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm just glad he went to NY and not back to Houston.

butlerbulldogs
05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
The Yanks are my second fave team, but I cannot stand Roger Clemens, the 4.5 million a month is a joke

edabbs44
05-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Just a guess, but I imagine him going back to NY effectively eliminates both Boston and Houston from seriously engaging in next year's sweepstakes.

Why? If Beantown were to offer him more $$$ next season, I'm sure he would talk about how much his family loved Boston and, after much discussion with his wife and kids, they decided to give it another shot.

Same BS every year.

hebroncougar
05-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Talk about using a finger to plug a whole in a dike...........this isn't going to help the yanks much.

RedsMan3203
05-06-2007, 10:38 PM
So, with the Clemens signing...

How MUCH is Johan Santana going to be worth?

blumj
05-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Why? If Beantown were to offer him more $$$ next season, I'm sure he would talk about how much his family loved Boston and, after much discussion with his wife and kids, they decided to give it another shot.

Same BS every year.
I don't think the Sox will be interested anymore. I'm not even sure they were all that interested this year, and he's not getting any younger. They offered him a lot less than NYY. Plus, the fan reaction to him in Boston is going to be ugly now that he's chosen to go back to NY. Houston might be a different story, but I'm just guessing they've had enough.

Degenerate39
05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Red Sox on Clemens: `We don't need him'

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer
May 6, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- David Ortiz was putting the finishing touches on his three-piece suit when he was asked about Roger Clemens signing with the New York Yankees.

"Who?" the Boston slugger asked, innocently.

Roger Clemens. He signed with the Yankees on Sunday.

"Oh, he did?" Ortiz said after Boston's 4-3 victory over the Minnesota Twins, his mischievous eyes hidden behind a pair of designer shades. "I hadn't heard."

Ortiz's ignorance may have been embellished, but while the rest of the baseball world marveled at the 44-year-old Rocket's return to New York, the Yankees' biggest rivals greeted the news with a shrug and a yawn.

"It would have been nice to have him, but we didn't need him. We DON'T need him," Red Sox ace Curt Schilling said. "It's May, a long way to go, but I like the way this team is comprised right now. This team has incredible makeup, it's got great chemistry and I feel like we were a legitimate World Series contender without him, so it doesn't change my mind."

Clemens agreed to a minor league contract on Sunday and expects to be pitching for the Yankees within a month. With an injury-depleted pitching staff, the Bronx Bombers definitely need the seven-time Cy Young Award winner after starting the season a disappointing 14-15 and falling 5 1/2 games behind the first-place Red Sox in the AL East.

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, was in Boston talking to the Red Sox on Thursday when the Yankees offered big bucks. By Friday evening, the New York hooked him with a one-year, $28 million contract.

"I'm sure it's a nice boost over there, given what they've got," Schilling said. "It's going to be a huge help to them."

But pitching has been the one constant for the Red Sox (20-10) this season. Schilling has been his usual stingy self and Josh Beckett is 6-0, with the two hard-throwing right-handers headlining a staff that includes Daisuke Matsuzaka and a rejuvenated Tim Wakefield.

"Boston, they can speak for themselves," Hendricks said. "They have a good rotation. They're in first. They're doing very, very well. They probably feel they have the luxury of waiting."

That seemed to be the sentiment in Minneapolis as the Red Sox prepared to hit the road after taking two of three from the Twins.

"It would've been nice," Beckett said. "Anytime you get one of the greatest pitchers who ever lived on your staff, it'd be a plus. But unless the Yankees decide to trade him to us, we're probably going to have to move on without him."

If the Red Sox felt jilted by Clemens' flirtation with them before ultimately choosing the Yankees, they certainly did a good job of hiding it.

"I just heard that he signed with the Yankees and I'm surprised," Matsuzaka said through a translator. "With his long career and such a fabulous track record, there would have been a lot of things that I probably could have learned from him had we had the chance to play together. But at the same time, I don't feel disappointed."

General manager Theo Epstein and co-owner Larry Lucchino declined comment, but the team issued this statement:

"We met with Randy Hendricks earlier this week and, at Randy's request, made an offer to Roger Clemens. We offered a substantial salary and suggested, for health purposes, that Clemens return on approximately the same timetable as last year. Today we learned from Randy that Clemens has signed elsewhere."

Whereas Clemens said he was wooed to the Big Apple by star shortstop Derek Jeter, it appears he did not receive any similar overtures from Boston.

"It seems like they need pitching, so it was a good choice," Ortiz deadpanned. "They need him more than we do."

Schilling said he never contacted Clemens about joining the Red Sox, and said he was perfectly comfortable with what they have.

"I could care less now," Schilling said. "What's done is done."

Count Schilling, and the rest of the indifferent players in the Boston clubhouse, as the minority.

In Boston, tennis star Pete Sampras shared the news with 3,560 fans who watched him win a seniors tournament at Boston University.

"I don't know if you guys heard, but I believe the New York Yankees just signed Roger Clemens," he said to a chorus of boos during the trophy ceremony. "I'm serious."

AP Sports Writers Ronald Blum in New York and Jimmy Golen in Boston contributed to this report.

Dracodave
05-06-2007, 11:40 PM
28 million pro-rated.

According to some here, we should every pitcher who this amount per year, because we need a bigger pay-roll not just smarter drafting and more talent. We need to trade our guys for prospects then trade those prospects for equally expensive proven major leaguers.

Ignoring all of our problems. Haha..

Yeah I hope this backfires just because I don't like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Clemens.

On another sidenote...Every TV station will be playing the Dice-K versus Rocket games :thumbup: :thumbup:

AmarilloRed
05-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Im glad he wont hurt us anymore over in NY.

NYDCYankee
05-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Yankee rotation of Wang, Pettitte, Clemens, Mussina and Hughes is pretty nasty.

Always Red
05-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Same BS every year.

Exactly. This is all about how much attention Clemens can attract to himself every year.

I don't blame him for taking the money- it's right there for the taking. But the way he goes about it, with the secrecy and playing teams off against each other for his services (for half a year, at that), is getting old, IMO.

Clemens is certainly one of the greatest, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm already cringing, thinking about the intrigue, drama, and the media getting their undies in a bunch over which team's hat he will select to wear on his plaque in Cooperstown...:rolleyes:

bucksfan2
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I am a Clemens fan. I love watching the guy pitch. He is about as nasty as he is good. He is probably the last of the old mold pitchers who isnt afraid to hit you. That said this is a stupid signing for the Yanks. He is one of the best 5-6 inning pitchers in the game but it doesn't make up for their bad pen. There is a reason that his ERA has been so low yet his win total has been awful over the past few seasons in Houston. He also didn't pitch in the World Baseball Classic this year so he is going to need a little more this season to get ready. I would be willing to bet Clemens is going to average about 2 wins a month so the Yanks are basically paying 2mil + per victory, not to mention the extra luxery tax he will bring onto the club. But the better question is whether this move makes the yankees even a playoff contender this year.

NYDCYankee
05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
But the better question is whether this move makes the yankees even a playoff contender this year.

The Yankees aren't a playoff contender this year?

storrs19
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I just loved what Marty told Nuxie yesterday: "I'd do almost anything for $4.5 million per month". That and Nuxie's butchering of some Rockies player's funny last name were classic. As for Clemens, I have nothing against him, after all it is a free enterprise system. But, I hate the Yankees with a passion. They think the solution to every problem is to open their checkbook. I hope like hell this backfires on them and they don't even get to the post season.

Razor Shines
05-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I think it's great. I like the Yankees and Clemens and most importantly I'm glad he's not in Houston this year so the Reds don't have to face him.

I don't see why so many people get so angry about this stuff. How exactly does it affect you? So what if he is playing teams off of each other. I don't think he really was though. Everyone knew he was going to the Yankees this year. It doesn't bother me that he's making $75,000 per pitch.

Chip R
05-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I think it's great. I like the Yankees and Clemens and most importantly I'm glad he's not in Houston this year so the Reds don't have to face him.

I don't see why so many people get so angry about this stuff. How exactly does it affect you? So what if he is playing teams off of each other. I don't think he really was though. Everyone knew he was going to the Yankees this year. It doesn't bother me that he's making $75,000 per pitch.

I agree. Last I checked, this is a capitalistic society and we're encouraged to make all the money we can. No one blinks at what a CEO of a corporation makes but when a ballplayer makes more than we do, all of a sudden he's a bad person. What's he supposed to do, turn down all that money and retire. It's not like he was coming here to pitch anyway. Be glad he's not in HOU.

paintmered
05-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I propose his nickname be changed to, "The Mercenary."

bounty37h
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I enjoy watching him pitch, but otherwise, [edited] him and his 4.5 a month, when he wants to [edited]...

blumj
05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I propose his nickname be changed to, "The Mercenary."
I always liked the old Will McDonough classic, "The Texas Con Man".

Roy Tucker
05-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree. Last I checked, this is a capitalistic society and we're encouraged to make all the money we can. No one blinks at what a CEO of a corporation makes but when a ballplayer makes more than we do, all of a sudden he's a bad person. What's he supposed to do, turn down all that money and retire. It's not like he was coming here to pitch anyway. Be glad he's not in HOU.

I agree. More power to him. Hard to beat those hours for a MLB pitcher and some sweet bucks too.

I do wonder when his wheels are going to start to fall off though. The guy is 45 years old and is still a monster power pitcher. I've read about his incredible work ethic, but I just wonder how long he can keep this up?

Marge'sMullet
05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Even if Clemens win every single one of his starts is anyone worth that much? This is a joke.

Razor Shines
05-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Even if Clemens win every single one of his starts is anyone worth that much? This is a joke.

To the Reds no, but to the Yankees absolutely. That's more in terms of how important 28 mil is to the Reds Vs. the insignificance of 28 mil to the Yankees. So the answer is yes, if he wins even half of his starts he's worth 28 mil to the Yankees.

blumj
05-07-2007, 02:03 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6199
Joe Sheehan's take, if anyone's interested.

DeadRedinCT
05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Sweet. I have been disappointed with ESPN's baseball coverage this year. They haven't talking about the Yankees enough this season. Clemens going to New York should remedy that.