PDA

View Full Version : Jason Davis

BEETTLEBUG
05-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Over on ORG they were asking about him Cleveland DFA'ed him would Reds be interested he will be 27 tomorrow. One said can Santos but I don't agree on releaseing him but he sounds OK.

Ravenlord
05-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Jason Davis reminds me of Harang when he came over from Oakland.

flyer85
05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
releasing Stanton would be great

REDREAD
05-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't know how Davis is doing this year, but I'd love to pick him up. Surely he'd be an upgrade in our pen.

Also, I believe he originally came up as a starter, so he might be a good multiple inning/swing start guy.

Great idea.

BRM
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
releasing Stanton would be great

Release the primary setup man? That's crazy talk. ;)

Ravenlord
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Release the primary setup man? That's crazy talk. ;)
or closer if Weather's is not availble. as The Rock once said, "Know your damn role."

flyer85
05-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Wk has a chance to possibly salvage the BP situation for today and definately as the Reds move forward.

Davis is certainly a better bet to start dominating that Aardsma was when Williams acquired him. You have to take a chance on those rare power arms because if they get it figured out they can be dominant releivers.

If WK had a pair, he would get rid of Stanton and either Saarloos/Santos and bring up McBeth and acquire Davis. He would tell Narron to put Weathers in middle relief and try out the power arms in the setup and closer roles. Coutlangus becomes a true situational LHP. At this point there is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Joseph
05-07-2007, 03:06 PM
WK has said time and time again that he doesn't tell Jerry how to do his job.

Which I find funny because my boss is constantly telling me how to do mine. :)

REDREAD
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
WK has said time and time again that he doesn't tell Jerry how to do his job.

Which I find funny because my boss is constantly telling me how to do mine. :)

I know you were joking.. But I think it's clear that Wayne does have input into Narron's job. When Cormier asked Narron why he wasn't playing, Jerry's response was "Take it up with the GM".. that's one clear example of Wayne pulling strings from above.

flyer85
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Jerry's response was "Take it up with the GM".. that's one clear example of Wayne pulling strings from above.... when I read Narron's response my assumption was that Narron didn't want to pitch him and didn't want him on the roster and that it was WK who was keeping him on the team but it didn't mean Narron had to pitch him.

With your take on that quote I am not sure what to think about it.

NatiRedGals
05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Indians To Trade Jason Davis

27 year-old Indians reliever Jason Davis was designated for assignment on Monday, so the clock is ticking for Mark Shapiro to trade him. As a healthy, cheap pitcher with good control, Davis will draw plenty of interest.

Davis would like to return to starting after spending all of 2006 as a reliever. Like a lot of pitchers, Davis could really blossom in the National League. He gets plenty of groundballs and can keep his walk rate under 3 per nine.

Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer speculates that the Tigers, Blue Jays, Royals, Phillies, Giants, Reds, Braves, and Nationals would all make sense. His speculation considers Davis a reliever, so you can really open it up to most teams in baseball if you think of him as a starter. The Marlins, Braves, and Astros all have a need for starting pitching help. If I'm Davis's agent, I'm campaigning for him to join Atlanta and try to work his way into a rotation spot. Of course, for pure opportunity you can't beat the Nationals. Somehow, though, I have a feeling that Omar Minaya will snag him just for depth.

REDREAD
05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
... when I read Narron's response my assumption was that Narron didn't want to pitch him and didn't want him on the roster and that it was WK who was keeping him on the team but it didn't mean Narron had to pitch him.

With your take on that quote I am not sure what to think about it.

Ok, I guess I can see how you read that. However, I see Jerry as a pretty much straight shooter. He doesn't seem the type to dodge a conflict by telling a player to go to the GM and challenge his decision.

If it was Jerry's decision to bench Cormier, I think Jerry would've told him the reason why he was benched, as opposed to blowing him off and telling him to talk to Wayne.

I'm pretty sure Wayne wanted him benched. Perhaps Wayne figured Cormier would be easier to unload if he was hidden. Or perhaps Wayne had already decided to DFA Cormier and saw no point in wasting innings on him.

AmarilloRed
05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I would trade for him while we can,before he gets released. Just dont give up too much. A PTBNL sounds about right. Once he is released, there will be a lot of interest.

savafan
05-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I've heard rumblings that the Reds are interested. Heck, I'm interested, so I hope Krivsky can get something done with Cleveland and make this a reality.

BEETTLEBUG
05-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm for it PTBNL?

savafan
05-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Well, whoever acquires him probably won't have to give up much, seeing as how the Indians stand to lose him regardless.

reds44
05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm interested in just about everybody who can throw it up there near 100 like he does. Of course he has issues (otherwise he wouldn't have been DFA's), but I think he is a good gamble.

Topcat
05-13-2007, 06:07 PM
He is going to Seattle. Not sure what Cleveland gets in return.

savafan
05-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Indians get a PTBNL

BoydsOfSummer
05-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Seattle Mariners Executive Vice President & General Manager of Baseball Operations Bill Bavasi announced today that the Mariners have acquired veteran right-handed reliever Jason Davis from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for a player to be named later.

The Florida Marlins today announced they have acquired right-handed pitcher Byung-Hyun Kim from the Rockies in a trade for right-handed pitcher Jorge Julio. The announcement was made by Marlins Executive Vice President and General Manager Larry Beinfest.

The Minnesota Twins announced prior to today's game that they have designated Sidney Ponson for assignment.

savafan
05-13-2007, 07:17 PM
So, this tells us that there is pitching available.

Patrick Bateman
05-13-2007, 08:33 PM

This didn't really tell us anything.

We saw a DFA'd player get traded, so we already knew he was available, and 3 bad pitchers change uniforms. There's always pitching available, the question is if there is good pitchng available.

savafan
05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
This didn't really tell us anything.

We saw a DFA'd player get traded, so we already knew he was available, and 3 bad pitchers change uniforms. There's always pitching available, the question is if there is good pitchng available.

No, it did tell us that pitching is available. ;)

Your second statement about whether or not there is any good pitching available is true as well. :)

berryluther
05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
He was released for a reason. Stay out of the garbage heap.

Patrick Bateman
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM

I didn't need to see these transactions to know that bad pitching was available.