PDA

View Full Version : If I'm Narron, I stay away from Coffey or Stanton with a tie or the lead

The Snow Chief
05-08-2007, 06:59 AM
They are in a major slumps right now. Coffey could use an option to Louisville to work on his offspead pitches. I don't care if he throws 94, he's going to keep getting killed if the fastball is his only pitch.

While there are not many options available right now, if I'm Narron and I have to go to the bullpen in the late innings with a tie or the lead, I'm only pitching the following:

Coutlangus (for situational lefties)
Salmon
Sarloos
Weathers

Again, far from the Nasty Boys, but better than continuing to run Stanton and Coffey out there. I have not given up on Coffey, but he has a great deal of work ahead of him to be a quality major league reliever.

storrs19
05-08-2007, 07:03 AM
As Jeff Brantley said, this will start sucking the life out of our team very soon. This has to stop. Bring up some relief pitching from AAA or even AA. It can not be any worse than this crap and will at least look like something is trying to be done. And I do not mean Majewksi, we saw him last year and he sucked and judging by his ERA at AAA it looks like he has not changed any. You get so sick of know the first guy the bullpen faces will get on base automatically, usually with a walk. They are not getting the job done.

Coffey and Stanton would be the first I would send to AAA and I would give Santos the boot. I really can't blame Narron as he did what he should have in bringing in Stanton to face Berkman but he walked him so that backfired and he and Coffey is just not getting the job done.

The Snow Chief
05-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I would have liked to have seen Narron go with Coutlangus rather than Stanton. As for Majewski, he blew up one game and allow 6 runs. He has not allowed any runs in his last four appearances. I agree he was garbage for the Reds last year but before his arm troubles with the Nats, he was an above average reliever. If the arm ever gets back to 100%, he'll certainly be better than what we are running out there now.

redsmetz
05-08-2007, 08:46 AM
I would have liked to have seen Narron go with Coutlangus rather than Stanton. As for Majewski, he blew up one game and allow 6 runs. He has not allowed any runs in his last four appearances. I agree he was garbage for the Reds last year but before his arm troubles with the Nats, he was an above average reliever. If the arm ever gets back to 100%, he'll certainly be better than what we are running out there now.

I noted elsewhere that absent that bad outing, Maj's stats in Louisville are a very respectable 1-0, 1.98 ERA, .659 WHIP, 9 K's with no walks in 9.1 innings pitched. I'll take that every day of the week, frankly.

UC_Ken
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I noted elsewhere that absent that bad outing, Maj's stats in Louisville are a very respectable 1-0, 1.98 ERA, .659 WHIP, 9 K's with no walks in 9.1 innings pitched. I'll take that every day of the week, frankly.

If he's healthy given those numbers he's got to be up soon. Who's the first cut from the pen? Coffey to AAA?

Redsland
05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
…absent that bad outing, Maj's stats in Louisville are a very respectable…. I'll take that every day of the week, frankly.
Except one, obviously. ;)

Handofdeath
05-08-2007, 09:00 PM

It kills me when I hear people saying that Majewski's horrible and has never been any good. After a first season in 2004 when he pitched only 21 innings, Gary Majewski was one of the best setup/middle relievers in the NL in 2005. 86 IP with an ERA of 2.93 and 6th in the NL with 24 holds. That is why Krivsky wanted him.

Degenerate39
05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Put Salmon on that list of staying away with a tie or the lead

The Snow Chief
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Put Salmon on that list of staying away with a tie or the lead

lol

Redsland
05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
After a first season in 2004 when he pitched only 21 innings, Gary Majewski was one of the best setup/middle relievers in the NL in 2005. 86 IP with an ERA of 2.93 and 6th in the NL with 24 holds. That is why Krivsky wanted him.
Which is why I've previously pointed out that Wayne obviously targeted Maj (and Cormier) because of their sparkly ERAs. In both cases, the peripherals told the tale.