PDA

View Full Version : SI's 50 Most Valuable Players

Rex Argos
05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/05/07/bp.ufd.first/index.html?cnn=yes

This is posted on the ORG forum as well. Feel free to argue.

Dunner44
05-08-2007, 03:38 PM
not a single red, eh? Not even in the honorable mention portion. go figure.

keeganbrick
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
#20. David Ortiz

:lol:

BucksandReds
05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I see that most if not all of these guys are actually in the majors so I undertsnad no Bailey or Bruce. But no Hamilton? I would put him near the top 10 of this list because it's obviously taking young guys with not a ton of experience and ranking them on potential alone. I know why no EE but no Phillips either? Was his 2006 smoke and mirrors? He's still hitting alot of HRs and RBIs for his size and is clutch as hell.

keeganbrick
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
No Reds deserve to be on that list except Bailey.....but that sounds kind of ironic in itself.

Sea Ray
05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
No Adam Dunn? How could that be???

Sea Ray
05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
No Reds deserve to be on that list except Bailey.....but that sounds kind of ironic in itself.

Bailey? Were minor leaguers included?

Marge'sMullet
05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
No Adam Dunn? How could that be???

He's just not that good. I guess striking out more times in a season than anyone has in 120 years scares people.

top6
05-08-2007, 06:34 PM
There is a bit on Adam Dunn, who was apparently ranked 19th last year, in the "dropouts" section.

Adam Dunn, LF, Reds, Age 27 (19)
Any player who carries the torch of Rob Deer is going to be a personal favorite of mine. But Deer played a good defensive outfield, whereas Dunn is a butcher out there, and that makes the low batting averages and poor baserunning harder to tolerate. Dunn also has a history of seeing his production wear off as the season wears on. Over the course of his career his OPS is 1.030 in April but .865 for the rest of the season, the largest such gap for any active player with at least 3,000 plate appearances. That pattern dovetails all too well with the questions about his conditioning.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/05/07/bp.ufd.droppedout/index.html

By posting that, I'm not agreeing with it - at all. But I think what this board really needs is a long debate about Adam Dunn.

Sea Ray
05-08-2007, 06:41 PM
But I think what this board really needs is a long debate about Adam Dunn.

I hear you and understand completely where you're coming from. :)

This list is just another example of someone outside of Cincinnati who does not think Dunn is anything special. This also happens every year when the All Star teams are announced.

keeganbrick
05-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Bailey? Were minor leaguers included?

Hughes and Lincecum were both in the top 50, they kind of count since they only recently debuted.

blumj
05-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Bailey and Hamilton will both be on next year's list.

Sea Ray
05-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Hughes and Lincecum were both in the top 50, they kind of count since they only recently debuted.

But to be fair, a player cannot be determined to be valuable until he has at least played an inning in the major leagues. Bailey is a prospect, not a major league player. There are other lists that could include his value

DTCromer
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Dunn also has a history of seeing his production wear off as the season wears on. Over the course of his career his OPS is 1.030 in April but .865 for the rest of the season, the largest such gap for any active player with at least 3,000 plate appearances. That pattern dovetails all too well with the questions about his conditioning.

Point. Set. Match.

But, I'm sure the blind homerism will continue. The guy is being compared to Rob Deer and yet people will only continue saying, "He's the best player on the team!" argument.

dougdirt
05-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Point. Set. Match.

But, I'm sure the blind homerism will continue. The guy is being compared to Rob Deer and yet people will only continue saying, "He's the best player on the team!" argument.

Yeah... Im not so sure about that. Deer was on base challenged, while Dunn is very good at getting on base. Deer slugged .500 twice. Dunn has done it 4 times already.

I do find it funny that the Rob Deer fanclub sponsers Adam Dunn's page at baseballreference.com.