PDA

View Full Version : Milton to the DL, Burton called up

RichRed
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric Milton has been placed on the 15-day DL with a left elbow strain. Jared Burton is on his way up from Louisville to take his place. Will have more from Wayne in a few minutes.

HotCorner
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
DL. Hmm.

Tom Servo
05-09-2007, 05:23 PM
left elbow strain :ughmamoru

CTA513
05-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Will Saarloos or Santos as the 5th starter? or maybe someone from AAA when the 5th spot in the rotation comes up?

HotCorner
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
A Homer Watch has been issued for the Greater Cincinnati area. ;)

Joseph
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Weak honestly.

If you're going to pay him anyway, just cut him.

RichRed
05-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Weak honestly.

If you're going to pay him anyway, just cut him.

What, you don't think he's hurt? Cynic. :D

Joseph
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
What, you don't think he's hurt? Cynic. :D

I have watched this team a few days now ;)

schroomytunes
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
A trade is on the Horizon, we have guys in AAA that can be moved up to the 5th starters spot, just wondering what teams are looking to add a guy to the rotation.

Tom Servo
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Says Fay:

Eric Milton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with elbow strain. Jared Burton was brought back from his injury rebab.

The Reds haven't decided who will make Milton's start Sunday.

But Homer Bailey is in the running.

GM Wayne Krivsky said the starter could come from the current staff or the minor leagues.

"I don't know," Krivsky said. "I haven't talked to the (Louisville) staff yet."

Bailey pitched Monday, so he'd be working on the six days' rest. The start will fall on the turn of left-hander Bob Livingston. Bailey is 3-1 with a 1.83 ERA at Louisville, Livingston is 0-3 with 3.22.

If they want to stir some fan interest, it will be Bailey. The start comes on Sunday. The game is Fox Sport Ohio at 4:10 p.m. Starting Livingston is going to be a rating boon, Bailey would be.

Milton complained of pain after his start Tuesday. He had an MRI. "It's nothing serious," Krivsky said.

Burton has been rehabbing from at hamstring strain since April 17. He was expected to join the club in time for Wednesday's game.

"It will give eight relievers for the time being," Krivsky said.

acredsfan
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Weak honestly.

If you're going to pay him anyway, just cut him.They could at least give us something to laugh at, like "hangnail", or "swimmers ear"..... We're on to you Wayne....:cool:

thorn
05-09-2007, 05:32 PM
You won't be laughing when Burton takes the mound, need to send him back to the A's.

Razor Shines
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Bailey pitched Monday, so he'd be working on the six days' rest. The start will fall on the turn of left-hander Bob Livingston. Bailey is 3-1 with a 1.83 ERA at Louisville, Livingston is 0-3 with 3.22.

So if Homer doesn't go Saturday we'll know.

Joseph
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
If Bailey starts at Dodger Stadium on Sunday, I'm so there.

Falls City Beer
05-09-2007, 05:36 PM
You won't be laughing when Burton takes the mound, need to send him back to the A's.

Yeah, this move doesn't exactly inspire glee.

StillFunkyB
In a way it might be the smart thing to do. A little less pressure on Bailey starting in LA. It would surely be a sellout if the game were here. I know on this end that had Sunday's game been here I would have just bought a ticket just in case.

Razor Shines
I guess I take that back. If it's going to be someone from AAA they'll probably call him up before they leave for the west coast. Or will they call someone up in the middle of that trip?

CTA513
05-09-2007, 05:37 PM

I still might laugh anyways.

Kc61
05-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Livingston is the obvious candidate. Bailey and Dumatrait seem to need more seasoning, based on their AAA numbers. Both doing well, but not dominating.

If one of them comes up, who leaves?

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
DL. Hmm.

You mean "DL"

(notice the quotation marks ;))

Blue
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, this move doesn't exactly inspire glee.

You must not get excited as easily as I do.

Falls City Beer
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
You must not get excited as easily as I do.

I'm happy about Milton leaving again. But not very excited about adding another Sterno can to the bullpen. I'm all for having hard throwers in the pen, but I'd like to see the ball approach the county the hitters swinging in.

dsmith421
I actually believe Milton is hurt. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to pack for my trip to meet that pleasant fellow from Nigeria I met on the Internet. He's the son of the Secretary of State, you know...

Aronchis
If Bailey is called up, that is a sign of desperation. Even if he is playing some possum in AAA, why waste his time with a dead team.

If Krivsky thinks Burton and Bailey will turnaround this staff, he has another thing comin.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
More...

With Burton on his way here, the Reds will have eight relievers on staff for the next couple days. Then, Milton's spot in the rotation comes up on Sunday in Los Angeles. So, who is the mystery starter?

"We could bring somebody up (from Louisville) or it could be from the staff, either one," Wayne Krivsky said. "It could be someone from here or someone from Louisville and fly them in the night before."

So, the obvious question: Will it be Homer Bailey, who pitched Monday for the Bats? Doesn't sound like it.

"He pitched a couple nights ago," Krivsky said. "I haven’t talked to the staff. We'll wait and see. I haven't talked to Terry Reynolds or the minor league staff."

A couple of us were talking that the Reds might want to save Bailey's debut for GABP (it'd be sellout city) and thus, it might be Bobby Livingston, who pitched Tuesday (the same day as Milton). Kirk Saarloos also is a candidate. We'll see if he pitches out of the bullpen the next couple days.

-Trent

reds1869
05-09-2007, 05:53 PM
A Homer Watch has been issued for the Greater Cincinnati area. ;)

They should have issued a homer watch before Uncle Milty took the mound.

Blue
05-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm happy about Milton leaving again. But not very excited about adding another Sterno can to the bullpen. I'm all for having hard throwers in the pen, but I'd like to see the ball approach the county the hitters swinging in.

I understand. Seeing different faces in the 5th starters spot and one less soft tosser in the bullpen is just exciting to me for some reason.

DannyB
05-09-2007, 06:02 PM
I could have sworn I saw Stanton limping around the mound the other night......

Always Red
05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
more from Trent:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

OK, just talked to Milton. More from him in a minute.

UPDATE (5:49 p.m.): I knew I wanted to try to get Milton after BP, but the Astros BP unis look similar to the Reds, so I didn't notice the Reds were done for a few minutes. I ran down to the clubhouse and saw Fay finishing his interview with Milton and Milton about to head into one of those lounging rooms that's off-limits to the media. Luckily, I caught him about two steps from the door.

He didn't seem too down by the news. Said the elbow had been a little sore before yesterday but not sore enough to keep him from pitching. Last night in the second or third inning, he said he threw a slider and "it really hurt. I wanted to get it checked out and make sure it was nothing serious."

I asked him how frustrated he is.

"Yeah, I've been frustrated for a while. I haven't been healthy pretty much since 2002. So, it's been a struggle."

Then as soon as I was done with Milty, Sheldon came racing up to grab him before he went in the lounge. Poor guy, being put on the DL and then have to be beaten up by three reporters separately. All the guy wanted to do was lounge out probably.

As I was leaving the clubhouse, I saw Burton walking out the bathroom, so he's here and presumably ready to pitch. Of course, this move also will force the Reds to ship out one of their relievers before next Sunday's game. It won't be Burton, because he's a Rule 5 guy. Maybe Coutlangus will go down or Santos.

Falls City Beer
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I could have sworn I saw Stanton limping around the mound the other night......

Really, I heard he spontaneously combusted.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
In a way it might be the smart thing to do. A little less pressure on Bailey starting in LA. It would surely be a sellout if the game were here. I know on this end that had Sunday's game been here I would have just bought a ticket just in case.

I would think they would want Bailey to start here in order to get a sellout.

It could be the last sellout, aside from giveaways they see the rest of the season.

redsmetz
05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
More...

With Burton on his way here, the Reds will have eight relievers on staff for the next couple days. Then, Milton's spot in the rotation comes up on Sunday in Los Angeles. So, who is the mystery starter?

"We could bring somebody up (from Louisville) or it could be from the staff, either one," Wayne Krivsky said. "It could be someone from here or someone from Louisville and fly them in the night before."

So, the obvious question: Will it be Homer Bailey, who pitched Monday for the Bats? Doesn't sound like it.

"He pitched a couple nights ago," Krivsky said. "I haven’t talked to the staff. We'll wait and see. I haven't talked to Terry Reynolds or the minor league staff."

A couple of us were talking that the Reds might want to save Bailey's debut for GABP (it'd be sellout city) and thus, it might be Bobby Livingston, who pitched Tuesday (the same day as Milton). Kirk Saarloos also is a candidate. We'll see if he pitches out of the bullpen the next couple days.

-Trent

Keep in mind, they could put Bailey on the 40 man very easily. As I mentioned earlier, Jerry Gil will certainly get moved to the 60 day DL, opening a roster spot. That said, I could see them going with someone like Saarloos just as easily, or they could do a bullpen day - that might be an exciting thought for offensive oriented fans of our opponent. :eek:

registerthis
05-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Livingston is the obvious candidate. Bailey and Dumatrait seem to need more seasoning, based on their AAA numbers. Both doing well, but not dominating.

Bailey's numbers are actually very deceptive. The 1.83 ERA looks nice, but you dig just a bit deeper and see that he's got a microscopic BABIP of .192, and has a walk rate of nearly 4. Most alarming, though, is the fact that his strikeout numbers are down so significantly.

No way do i bring up Bailey. Krivsky and Co. have done an admirable job not rushing him and giving into the temptation of the temporary spike in fan interest he'll no doubt bring. But once that bloom is off the rose, it's gone. keep him in AAA, let him work out whatever he needs to, and *maybe* look into a September callup.

This should be Livingston's time, not Bailey's.

GSURedsfan
05-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm going with the A.B.B. stance here: Anybody but Bailey.

Brent

Bobcat J
05-09-2007, 06:42 PM
No way do i bring up Bailey. Krivsky and Co. have done an admirable job not rushing him and giving into the temptation of the temporary spike in fan interest he'll no doubt bring. But once that bloom is off the rose, it's gone. keep him in AAA, let him work out whatever he needs to, and *maybe* look into a September callup.

This should be Livingston's time, not Bailey's.

Exactly. Plus, why cost the Reds an arbitration year when the season is already in the crapper.

Degenerate39
05-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Who is our 5th starter now?

PuffyPig
05-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I think there's virtually zero chance that Bailey starts. He just hasn't been that good in AAA. The Reds want to be more certain he'll have a chance to succeed before he comes up.

Likely Dumatrait or Livingstone. Santos will likely be gone. Or Burton.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Who is our 5th starter now?

Could be Saarloos, could be someone from Louisville.

At this point, I doubt it will be Bailey.

Will M
05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
1. I too doubt it will be Bailey. His walk rate at AAA seems to indicate he needs more time there. I vote for Dumatrait or Livingston.

2. Saarloos has been overall decent in the pen - leave him there.

3. as i've said before Santos's whip is very high , imo this means his era is falsely low. i'd rather see some who could have upside take his spot.

4. if milton never takes the mound for the reds again i'll be happy

Doc. Scott
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Livingston is no great shakes, folks. He's pretty hittable; he basically is like Eric Milton except with a soul patch and without an arthritic knee.

This is his last option year and he's got an ERA around 3 at AAA (including one start where he gave up twelve hits in six innings but only two runs) with something like three walks in forty innings.

Might as well try him out. His future is now.

I'd be okay with trying Saarloos, but he'd have a tough time going more than four or five innings with his current (ill-advised) short-relief-style usage schedule.

reds44
05-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Seriously. Does Wayne Krivsky think the Reds fan base is that dumb? Milton's not hurt, he's just bad. He's on the DL for being bad.
Burton back up. Woohoo? Not exactly tearing it up in AA. Hopefully he does better up here.
It'll be Santos or Saarloos on Sunday. Yawn. I'd rather have Homer up here (even if he isn't King alot of people in AAA) then either of them.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Seriously. Does Wayne Krivsky think the Reds fan base is that dumn? Milton's not hurt, he's just bad. He's ob the DL for being bad.

What do you want him to say? You can't put somebody on the DL for sucking.

UC_Ken
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I vote for Sarloos. A true groundball pitcher and GABP should be a good combination. If Homer continues to pitch well we can move Sarloos back to the pen in June.

When Milton gets back I think he needs to be sent to the pen. Maybe if he picks up a couple MPH on his fastball he could be a guy that is a better relief pitcher than a starter.

reds44
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
What do you want him to say? You can't put somebody on the DL for sucking.
Cut him.

cReds1
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Release him or put him in the pen. He will not improve and he was a mistake in the first place bringing him here.

reds44
05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
If the Reds don't pitch Homer because of the attendance, then this organization has waived the white flag as well.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Cut him.

As a last resort, I think they would, unlike the old regime...if they can find any team to take him, they'll do that first. Some team may be desperate enough...

You wouldn't cut 9 million dollars either if you could find something to get out of it...even if it isn't much.

This gives them a chance to "DL" him..."rehab" him and see what else they have that could take his place. If they can't find anything better either in Saarloos or in Louisville (not Homer yet), then they can still run him out there every fifth day if they have to.

The_jbh
05-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Dumatrait is scheduled to pitch friday in Louisville, Livingston on Sat... either would be a possibility. I prefer Dum despite his high walk totals.. more of a ceiling

Eric_Davis
05-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I'd use Dumatrait before Homer.

Though Homer is doing great now, he was absolutely awful in Spring Training when he was supposed to be working on his other pitches. Give him some more months, at least, in AAA to work on this stuff.

BoydsOfSummer
05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Could I have been fortunate enough to witness Milton's last start as a Red last night? Please let it be so.

My bet is on Saarloos into the five spot; for a while anyways. I'd run every one of those Louisville starters through that spot before the year is over. Homer being last.

Strikes Out Looking
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I believe if you'll look at last night's game thread, I called this in about the second inning.

As to who should pitch on Saturday. I'd go with Livingston. I'd like the other two to spend some more time on the farm. I'm a little worried about Homer's K rate in AAA. Anyway you look at it, it'll be good for the Reds to have a starting pitcher that the team doesn't expect to give up 4 runs in the first three innings.

LINEDRIVER
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Who's wilder? Burton or Encarnacion??

DTCromer
05-09-2007, 10:13 PM
As a last resort, I think they would, unlike the old regime...if they can find any team to take him, they'll do that first. Some team may be desperate enough...

You wouldn't cut 9 million dollars either if you could find something to get out of it...even if it isn't much.

This gives them a chance to "DL" him..."rehab" him and see what else they have that could take his place. If they can't find anything better either in Saarloos or in Louisville (not Homer yet), then they can still run him out there every fifth day if they have to.

If we could just get any team to pay 1/4 of his salary in a trade, I'd do it.

With that said, my money is on Saarloos to start Sunday even though he pitched back-to-back nights.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Milton hasn't been healthy since 2002

He didn't seem too down by the news. Said the elbow had been a little sore before yesterday but not sore enough to keep him from pitching. Last night in the second or third inning, he said he threw a slider and "it really hurt. I wanted to get it checked out and make sure it was nothing serious."

I asked him how frustrated he is.

"Yeah, I've been frustrated for a while. I haven't been healthy pretty much since 2002. So, it's been a struggle."

-Trent

5 years he hasn't been healthy and 3 of those he's been here,

Thanks Dan O'Brien.

M2
05-10-2007, 03:17 AM
If Eric Milton really cares about the team, he'll stay 'injured."

Plus, if he hasn't been right for five years you've got to figure it will take at least five months to heal up, right?

I'll pick Saarloos for the next start because it doesn't require a roster move. If that doesn't work and the team continues to struggle then I figure Bailey gets the call the next time that slot is due for the GAB. And if that doesn't work and the team continues to struggle then we get a bloodbath.

sonny
05-10-2007, 04:15 AM
How long is the typical stint on the DL for a strained "talent"?

storrs19
05-10-2007, 06:54 AM
DFA Milton (just like Cormier...no suckers wanted him so we ate tha $2.5 million). DFA Stanton, Send Coffey to Louisville. The thing I hate with Krivsky and Narron is they never give you a straight answer they dance around every damn question. No wonder the fans are getting sick of this. They look to management for answers and get nothing but double talk and evading of the issues.

As far as I am concerned the bullpen is mostly Krivsky's mess. The fact that we have not spent our budget wisely (compared to Milwaukee, Minnesota, or Arizona) can be laid on past ownership and general management. I have just about given up on this team for this season and that is sad but I feel after we return from the road trip we will probably be 10 under .500 and a good 12 to 14 back of Milwaukee.

redsmetz
05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
DFA Milton (just like Cormier...no suckers wanted him so we ate tha $2.5 million). DFA Stanton, Send Coffey to Louisville. The thing I hate with Krivsky and Narron is they never give you a straight answer they dance around every damn question. No wonder the fans are getting sick of this. They look to management for answers and get nothing but double talk and evading of the issues.

As far as I am concerned the bullpen is mostly Krivsky's mess. The fact that we have not spent our budget wisely (compared to Milwaukee, Minnesota, or Arizona) can be laid on past ownership and general management. I have just about given up on this team for this season and that is sad but I feel after we return from the road trip we will probably be 10 under .500 and a good 12 to 14 back of Milwaukee.

I was thinking about some of these things this morning. I think we've run into a "perfect storm" of baseball happenings. I think Krivsky has danced around the roster pretty since he's been here. Some of his moves are made to give him flexibility later, but also cause roster squeezes that bite you.

I think Cormier is a good example. I fully expected him to be traded before the start of the season and I suspect that was Krivsky intention too. But then, Bray went down, as did Milton (although I think that move was equally strategic). That left Cormier on the staff. By the time room was needed, Cormier was the likely candidate and then it became a waiting game. The thought is always there that someone will need a pitcher and will want to move up in line via trade rather than chancing someone else grabbing him. Clearly, in this case it didn't work out. BTW, we're only eating $2 Million - we're a quarter of the way into the season (more or less), so some of that is just salary.

All of that said, I think that in Milton's case, there's something there, no matter how small, and they're using it to return Burton off the DL (technically he wasn't "called up") and buy some breathing room. They'll work the roster again soon, moving Gil to the 60 man DL.

The perfect storm is that anything that could go wrong, has gone wrong. When we need the offense, they're anemic. We've received excellent starting pitching and either the offense didn't show up or the bullpen was horrible.

It's working out to be a seriously bad karma year.

shredda2000
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Dare I say it?

Trade him to the NATIONALS!!! *Ducks*

REDREAD
05-10-2007, 12:25 PM
If Bailey starts at Dodger Stadium on Sunday, I'm so there.

Paul D on the post game show brought up a great point.. It's very unlikely that the Reds will have Homer make his MLB debut on the road. Why should they? If they debut him at home, it probably sells a lot more tickets for that game.

REDREAD
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
DFA Milton (just like Cormier...no suckers wanted him so we ate tha $2.5 million). DFA Stanton, Send Coffey to Louisville. .

Ok. Now you are short 3 pitchers. I guess Burton takes one spot. Who are you going to put in the other two spots? We really don't have any viable replacements to do a massive turnover on the pitching staff.

Keep Coffey up here, let him work on his game.

Sadly, we're stuck with Stanton, thanks to the boneheaded contract Wayne gave him.

redsupport
05-10-2007, 12:42 PM
justin speier or brandon donnelly would have been nice, but stanton and cormier are what we have/had

dsmith421
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Krivsky gave Stanton a 2-year deal, $5.5M. I can't even imagine a possible justification for that kind of waste.

Blue
05-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Krivsky gave Stanton a 2-year deal, $5.5M. I can't even imagine a possible justification for that kind of waste.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

JLB5
05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
An Uncle Milty sighting...

DDN (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/05/24/ddn052407redsnotesweb.html)

An interesting observation: While Narron is aware of what pitchers are doing in the minors, twice in the last week he has been asked about disabled pitcher Eric Milton (left elbow soreness), eligible to come off the DL today.

"I don't know, to be honest with you, how he is," said Narron. "I can't tell you how close he is or when he'll be back."

In others words, "Who?"

When Milton was asked if he had a moment to discuss his situation, he said, "I can't talk about it."