PDA

View Full Version : Will Wayne Krivsky Last the Year?

reds44
05-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I say no.

Degenerate39
05-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I say yes

redsfan4445
05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
i say Narron is gone before Wayne is!!

jojo
05-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Krivsky isn't going anywhere anytime soon......

Joseph
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Narron gets fired in early June and is replaced by Bucky Dent who leads the team to a 77 win season. After how things went in the early half getting to 77 wins seems like a good thing. Dent is given the full time gig.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

K-man stays through the end of 08.

RFS62
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm glad I don't work for RedsZone.

UC_Ken
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Yes. He's made some bad moves but his good moves are so good that he's in no danger.

He stole Arroyo from Boston, picked up Phillips off waivers, and bought Josh Hamilton from the Cubs after they picked him in the Rule 5 draft.

His bad moves Stanton, Cormier, Castro re-signing are nowhere near as bad as the good moves.

If he hasn't solved the bullpen by next season then we'll start talking about Krivsky's job.

durl
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Krivsky's not going anywhere.

And Narron isn't going to be let go because of the bullpen's inability to pitch.

reds44
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes. He's made some bad moves but his good moves are so good that he's in no danger.

He stole Arroyo from Boston, picked up Phillips off waivers, and bought Josh Hamilton from the Cubs after they picked him in the Rule 5 draft.

His bad moves Stanton, Cormier, Castro re-signing are nowhere near as bad as the good moves.

If he hasn't solved the bullpen by next season then we'll start talking about Krivsky's job.
You seem to be forgetting this little tidbit:

Nationals Get:
Felipe Lopez
Austin Kearns
Ryan Wagner

Reds get:
Gary Majewski
Bill Bray
Royce Clayton
Brendan Harris
Daryl Thompson

Falls City Beer
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Krivsky's here through his contract at least.

UC_Ken
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Even if you don't think Majeski and Bray will ever come back and that trade's a bust it doesn't trump getting Arroyo, Phillips, and Hamilton for nothing. Kearns and Lopez are extra players, not players you build around.

I'm not willing to give up on Bray yet either.

Aronchis
05-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Yup, Wayne will be a Red through the 08 season at least.

edabbs44
05-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Yup, Wayne will be a Red through the 08 season at least.

:barf:

Marc D
05-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Narron gets fired in early June and is replaced by Bucky Dent who leads the team to a 77 win season. After how things went in the early half getting to 77 wins seems like a good thing. Dent is given the full time gig.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

K-man stays through the end of 08.

Exactly. Depressing but exactly right.

We aren't to Clipperdom but you can see it from here.

Hey Meat
05-09-2007, 10:29 PM
No Way. He Killed This Team.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Krivsky's here through his contract at least.

GM's usually get a little more pull, because it does take time to build a team.

Narron better be worried, though...that's how it work in this business.

redsfan4445
05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Narron WASNT Krivskys choice... and Jerry will be the first to go and i wonder if Wayne will bring in Frank Robinson or Dusty Baker..to change things? since Lou was the best choice and sadly wasnt brought back.. this team needs a fired up type of manager.. Best examples), Last season the Tigers playing lax, The Tigers manager goes nuts on his team and guess what?? they go to the World Series. Early this year the Cubs play like crap and Lou goess off. they are playing much better since!!!) NARRON is to dang nice!!! ("NICE GUYS FINISH LAST") We need a hard nose manager!!

reds44
05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Dusty?

Oh jesus please keep Narron if you are going to do that.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Dusty?

Oh jesus please keep Narron if you are going to do that.

I'm with you....no Dusty.

People say Narron overworks pitchers...

pedro
05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Most certainly.

edabbs44
05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Hire Baker and I might go on sabbatical.

redsrule2500
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Wayne is fine IMO. He's just had bad luck picking up bullpen relief, but I think he can turn it around. He's been FANTASTIC with offense and defense (phillips, hamilton, gonzo, hatte)

UC_Ken
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Dusty?

Homer just had a heart attack.

Aronchis
05-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Dusty would be a great choice. He turns children into MEN. He would take those weak knee'd punks like Adam Dunn, Todd Coffey and EE then turn them into MEN.

He would also give Homer Bailey lessons in toughness.

UC_Ken
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
He would also give Homer Bailey lessens in toughness.

That really worked for Prior and Wood.

RFS62
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Dusty would be a great choice. He turns children into MEN. He would take those weak knee'd punks like Adam Dunn, Todd Coffey and EE then turn them into MEN.

That's rich.

Edd Roush
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM

Is this sarcasm? I really don't want to see Dusty teach Bailey to "rough it out" while the Reds fight for fourth place and ruin a potentially great career.

I really think Narron and Krivsky are becoming scapegoats for a streak of bad luck and an underperfoming bullpen.

Wheelhouse
05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Yes. GMs usually get 2 managers before they get the axe. And Wayne ain't the problem.

edabbs44
05-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Yes. GMs usually get 2 managers before they get the axe. And Wayne ain't the problem.

In your estimation, what's the problem then?

HUHUH
05-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Krivsky's not going anywhere.

And Narron isn't going to be let go because of the bullpen's inability to pitch.

As I've said repeatedly, the problem is that Jerry sends the same clowns out there night after night with the game on the line. Saarlos, Salmon or Coutlangus in the 8th? Oh no, that isn't their ROLES! Let them pitch with the game on the line. Gotta be better than Stanton, Weathers and Coffey.

George Anderson
05-09-2007, 11:11 PM
No Way. He Killed This Team.

The team he took over was already dead.

Maldez
05-09-2007, 11:14 PM

He stole Arroyo from Boston, picked up Phillips off waivers, and bought Josh Hamilton from the Cubs after they picked him in the Rule 5 draft.......

Exactly. He's proven to be razor sharp at times. Arroyo, Phillips and Josh Hamilton were all gigantic moves for the Reds.

Beyond that there's the mess that the Reds are today. Is it just a slump, or is this the proof that Krivsky's a lousy GM?

Will M
05-09-2007, 11:27 PM

agree 100%

jimbo
05-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Geez, threads like this make me feel I am back at cincinnati.com.

Spring~Fields
05-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Same as Narron, I think that he stays and is given more time to build the team. I think that Castellini likes to tell the press what the fans want to hear and is all smoke and mirrors. I don't see him doing anything seriously to change the personnel unless his net effect in the financials takes a serious hit. I can see some players being shuffled down the road to stir some fan interest, lateral moves.

Eric_Davis
05-10-2007, 02:22 AM
I'll take the blame for this.

It was my fault.

My wish that we would get a General Manager that would be proactive came true.

My wish that Lindner would go away and we'd get some ownership dedicated to winning came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that we'd assemble a starting staff worthy of winning a division with an ACE that's capable of winning some playoff games came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that Junior, beloved Junior, would find his fountain of youth again, and even steal a base came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that teams in the division that try to buy themselves a title (Cardinals, Cubs, Astros) would falter came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that we'd find a Rookie-of-the-Year and possibly a multiple-time All-Star without giving up anything came true.

My wish that we'd trade a 4th Outfielder for an Ace for the staff came true.

I'm sorry, but it was my fault.

My wish that we'd find hope, talent, and money available to bring this franchise back to where it should be came true.

It was my fault.

So, I'm going to disappear; and, when I come back after the All-Star break, the bullpen problem will be solved, because I wish it to be.

Blame me, not Narron, not Krivsky, not REDSZONE, not Junior, not Dunn, not even the bullpen because they are who they are and they're giving it their best shot.

I wish you all the best. See you at 40-40.

:reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds:

AtomicDumpling
05-10-2007, 02:50 AM
My guess is Narron will be fired soon, but Krivsky will stick around through at least next year. He will be allowed to preside over the advancement of our prospects, even though he didn't bring them in.

I think the GM should get at least 4 years to mold the franchise and develop it. So far the moves Krivsky has made are mixed. He has done some really good things (Arroyo, Phillips, Hamilton) and some extremely stupid things (Kearns, Lopez, Castro, Saarloos, Yan, bullpen, Gonzalez, bullpen, keeping Narron, carrying 3 catchers, Cormier, bullpen). Yes, the bullpen is so bad he deserves 3 negatives.

I give Krivsky lots of credit for Phillips and Hamilton, but I think he got extremely lucky with both of them. They both came out of nowhere and I bet Krivsky was just as surprised as the rest of us with how successful those two have been.

Castellini will be patient.

WVRedsFan
05-10-2007, 03:05 AM
He gets a longer rope. Remember Bob wanted Lou and was stuck with Jerry and Wayne probably convinced about the extension. The firing of Narron will be the first warning shot on Krivsky. He'll last the year at least. By January, he might be looking for a job if not before.

REDREAD
05-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Narron WASNT Krivskys choice...

Well, Wayne did inherit Narron, but he also gave Narron an extension.. so yes, Narron is his choice.

WVRedsFan
05-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Castellini will be patient.

Funny. Everything I've heard is that his is NOT patient. He wants a contender now. At least that's what comes out of his mouth all the time.

Who knows?

PuffyPig
05-10-2007, 09:59 AM
100% chance he will last the year.

The owners aren't even considering it, and I bet they think he's done a real good job.

Slyder
05-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Hire Baker and I might go on sabbatical.

Hire Baker and I'll start the chant "Wayne must Go" Baker is in large part to blame for killing Wood and Prior's arms do we really want him tinkering (overworking) Bailey, Dumatrait, and the rest?

Team Clark
05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Krivsky isn't going anywhere anytime soon......

Absolutely correct. He has a built in, get out of jail free card in Narron.

Team Clark
05-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, Wayne did inherit Narron, but he also gave Narron an extension.. so yes, Narron is his choice.

Who did the extension really come from? Krivsky or Castellini?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
He has done some really good things (Arroyo, Phillips, Hamilton) and some extremely stupid things (Kearns, Lopez, Castro, Saarloos, Yan, bullpen, Gonzalez, bullpen, keeping Narron, carrying 3 catchers, Cormier, bullpen). Yes, the bullpen is so bad he deserves 3 negatives.

Gonzalez -.293 avg, 7 hr's, 16 RBI's great glove-GREAT MOVE
Lopez -.254 avg, 2 hr's, 6 RBI's bad glove-GREAT MOVE
Hamilton - ..268 AVG, 8HR, 18 RBI's-GREAT MOVE
instead of Kearns -.267 AVG, 3 HR's, 11 RBI'S-GREAT MOVE

Saarloos - 3.12 ERA no earned runs in 8 of last 10-GREAT MOVE( bad bullpen makes him look worse than he really is)
I will agree on the Narron front though. If it's one just one player then you move the player, but if it's a third baseman and the bullpen you can't fire them all, you have to look at the man in charge of preparing them. It's really sad if you look at what some of the guys on this team are doing production wise like Dunner, Holt Hamilton, The starting pitchers as a whole, Gonzalez. This team deserves better than this so called "Baseball Guy".

Orenda
05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Anyone notice how the PTBNL in the Phillips deal, Jeffrey Stevens is doing? This is his stat line in High A ball: 3-0/ .72era/ 25.0IP/ 8h/ 4bb/ 26K's. Even though I like that trade for the reds, to me it seems like we gave up an interesting pitching prospect to acquire him. It was stated earlier in this thread that he was simply claimed off waivers. Just to play devil's advocate

Falls City Beer
05-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Anyone notice how the PTBNL in the Phillips deal, Jeffrey Stevens is doing? This is his stat line in High A ball: 3-0/ .72era/ 25.0IP/ 8h/ 4bb/ 26K's. Even though I like that trade for the reds, to me it seems like we gave up an interesting pitching prospect to acquire him. It was stated earlier in this thread that he was simply claimed off waivers. Just to play devil's advocate

Good catch, and welcome, summerplight. Nice handle.

bounty37h
05-11-2007, 03:41 PM
You seem to be forgetting this little tidbit:

Nationals Get:
Felipe Lopez
Austin Kearns
Ryan Wagner

Reds get:
Gary Majewski
Bill Bray
Royce Clayton
Brendan Harris
Daryl Thompson

You seem to be stuck on that little tidbit. I would take Hamilton in the outfield anyday over Kearns, and Gonzy over Lopez twice on Sunday, so we arent missing either of those guys one bit, we made great upgrades over both of them, whats the holdup?

bounty37h
05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
I'll take the blame for this.

It was my fault.

My wish that we would get a General Manager that would be proactive came true.

My wish that Lindner would go away and we'd get some ownership dedicated to winning came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that we'd assemble a starting staff worthy of winning a division with an ACE that's capable of winning some playoff games came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that Junior, beloved Junior, would find his fountain of youth again, and even steal a base came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that teams in the division that try to buy themselves a title (Cardinals, Cubs, Astros) would falter came true.

It was my fault.

My wish that we'd find a Rookie-of-the-Year and possibly a multiple-time All-Star without giving up anything came true.

My wish that we'd trade a 4th Outfielder for an Ace for the staff came true.

I'm sorry, but it was my fault.

My wish that we'd find hope, talent, and money available to bring this franchise back to where it should be came true.

It was my fault.

So, I'm going to disappear; and, when I come back after the All-Star break, the bullpen problem will be solved, because I wish it to be.

Blame me, not Narron, not Krivsky, not REDSZONE, not Junior, not Dunn, not even the bullpen because they are who they are and they're giving it their best shot.

I wish you all the best. See you at 40-40.

:reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds: :reds:

Great job there Eric!!!!!

Kingspoint
05-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Those are amazing numbers. I've never heard of the guy until today. So, I had to do some research. Drafted in the 45th round by the Marlins, he pitched 2 innings way back in 2000 striking out 2 and walking 1 with 0 hits. Florida, apparently used him as a hitter where he had an OPS of .537 in 110 AB's. He quit and went to the University of California-Riverside, according to The Baseball Cube. It appears he transferred from there to Loyola-Marymount where Dan O'Brien chose him in the 6th round of the 2005 Amateur Draft, three months from turning 22. He never played a game for the REDS, as he played for Cleveland's Lake County in their A League in 2006. He's as dominating as any pitcher in the Minor Leagues right now, especially at High-A Kinston in the Carolina League. He's only given up 1 HR in those 25 innings.

dougflynn23
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
:confused: Krivsky seems to do well in making trades/moves when he flies under the radar screen (Phillips, Ross, Hatteberg, Lohse). The Kearns/Lopez deal was not bad in concept, but he obviously didn't practice due diligence in gathering background data. If I were ownership, I'd at least start making his seat a little toasty.

traderumor
05-11-2007, 08:20 PM
His mentor's track record--some eerily similar trends emerging with a steadily rising stock of youngsters showing promise--but can this owner take 5 years of losing? Will it take 5 years of losing?
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/execdb/showteam.php?team=MIN
1995 Terry Ryan
(Promoted 9/13/94) Minnesota Twins AL C 56 88 5
1996 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 78 84 4
1997 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 68 94 4
1998 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 70 92 4
1999 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 63 97 5
2000 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 69 93 5
2001 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 85 77 2
2002 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 94 67 1 Won Division

2003 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 90 72 1 Won Division

2004 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 92 70 1 Won Division

2005 Terry Ryan
Minnesota Twins AL C 83 79 3

traderumor
05-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Anyone notice how the PTBNL in the Phillips deal, Jeffrey Stevens is doing? This is his stat line in High A ball: 3-0/ .72era/ 25.0IP/ 8h/ 4bb/ 26K's. Even though I like that trade for the reds, to me it seems like we gave up an interesting pitching prospect to acquire him. It was stated earlier in this thread that he was simply claimed off waivers. Just to play devil's advocateYes, High A baller, regardless of what he's doing vs. an everyday 2nd baseman in his mid-20s with pop and gold glove caliber on D? The kind of deals you want to make every day and twice on Sundays.

StillFunkyB
05-11-2007, 09:01 PM
This team from the very top, to the very bottom was a COMPLETE disaster.

You don't build a World Series champion over night. Just look at the Yankees the past couple of years. They have what seems like a bottomless pit of cash, and they still haven't won the whole thing in almost 7 years.

It's going to take a lot more than one "questionable" trade to get me on the "Fire Krivsky" bandwagon.

Every team has a goal when they are rebuilding, and I have a feeling that when Castellini purchased this team he knew what he was getting into. It's not as if he wasn't involved in the game already. I am positive that Krivsky's plan was talked about during the interview process, and continues to be discussed at regular intervals with ownership. I would rather that ownership stick it out a few more years to see how Krivsky's plan plays out.

I am very pleased that this current regime has not traded away every decent prospect in the system for the "big splash" "let's win it now" deal, and then fall one game short.

I agree that it's very frustrating to watch recently, but we need to have a little more patience. From everything I can see this team is on the right track. There are obviously some gigantic problems right now, but you are going to have that when you are rebuilding.

KronoRed
05-11-2007, 09:10 PM
No doubt, we get another year like this one next year? he's gone

dougflynn23
05-11-2007, 09:22 PM
His mentor's track record--some eerily similar trends emerging with a steadily rising stock of youngsters showing promise--but can this owner take 5 years of losing? Will it take 5 years of losing?
:) Good point of reference, but those early Ryan teams in Minnesota were teams where the Twins were completely rebuilding with no talk of contending. They were trading guys who were getting 200 hits a season and hometown favorites like Chuck Knoblauch, and acquiring players who would help them contend later such as Eric Milton and Cristian Guzman in return. They had no superstars eating up 20% of their budgets.

Orenda
05-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Yes, High A baller, regardless of what he's doing vs. an everyday 2nd baseman in his mid-20s with pop and gold glove caliber on D? The kind of deals you want to make every day and twice on Sundays.

I agree. Looks like a good job by the Cleveland scouts though. My only question is did we give up too much for Phillips since he had been DFA'd by Cleveland? Ditto for Jeff Keppinger, who had also been DFA'd. Although it seems that a player with Phillips former prospect status and skill set would have acquired interest from other GM's, but I'll never know. Also would have liked to see an actual PTBNL for C. Ross and Brendan Harris. Im trying to hold off judgement on Krisvky, because it seems like he is fair with other GM's, which might make it easier for him to swing winning deals in the future. But watchen this bullpen, which Krivsky has put so much time into, pains me so.

Aronchis
05-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I am not so sure Krivsky has "put much effort" into the pen outside the "THE TRADE"!!!!.

Signing guys like Stanton tell me he is just trying to find placeholders.

Considering the Reds don't have much in the way of future bullpen talent, it may be a few more years before they do.

I would stay by your radio for the next Reds annoucement. We may get some word changes.