PDA

View Full Version : Scary stats - 2nd half splits

edabbs44
05-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Over the past few years, the Reds have typically treated their fans to a great start. Then the inevitable takes place...the 2nd half swoon. Can this team afford to start out the way they have in '07? Take a look at some of the career numbers of some of the Reds:

Gonzalez: career -.079 OPS after the break as opposed to before
Dunn: -.083 OPS
Freel: -.048 OPS
Hatteberg: -.049 OPS
Griffey: -.066 OPS (2006), but steady overall in carrer numbers
Ross: 2006 was a disaster (-.256) , but only one year
Phillips: same with Phillips (-.093), but again only one year
Hamilton: n/a
Edwin: steady in 2006, but again not a long track record

Is anyone worried about these guys going on vacation during the summer? If the numbers hold true, this could be a collapse of biblical proportions. I'm scared.

RedFanAlways1966
05-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Ross: 2006 was a disaster (-.256) , but only one year
Edwin: steady in 2006, but again not a long track record

Based on the numbers for these two in the first 34 games, I can only hope it gets better. If it doesn't, then I can hope they re-learn how to play the game somewhere-somehow.

Jefferson24
05-10-2007, 08:00 AM
We are already in the cellar what difference does it make if we are 30 games out as opposed to 20? Sure it would be nice to look at things and say "things will get better, this team will improve, and we’re just in a slump." The truth is though I haven't seen anything from the players or management yet that would lead me to believe that this is a problem anyone feels like fixing at this point.

edabbs44
05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
We are already in the cellar what difference does it make if we are 30 games out as opposed to 20? Sure it would be nice to look at things and say "things will get better, this team will improve, and we’re just in a slump." The truth is though I haven't seen anything from the players or management yet that would lead me to believe that this is a problem anyone feels like fixing at this point.

At that point it's a pride thing...and a better draft pick. :)

Wheelhouse
05-11-2007, 12:54 PM
There's no mechanism on the team to push performance, so when the Reds get a little bit tired---->they perform worse. Expect a swoon (if it's even possible to swoon from here.)