PDA

View Full Version : Braves signed LHP Rheal Cormier to a minor league contract.

redsfan4445
05-13-2007, 01:34 AM
per rotoworld.com:

"Braves signed LHP Rheal Cormier to a minor league contract.

The Braves have better options than Cormier awaiting opportunities in Triple-A. The 40-year-old left-hander allowed three runs in three innings before being cut by the Reds last month."

WMR
05-13-2007, 01:36 AM
No more 2 year deals?

Ron Madden
05-13-2007, 01:36 AM
They can have him.

Screwball
05-13-2007, 02:56 AM
I thought the Braves had fixed their bullpen woes?

Degenerate39
05-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I hope they call him up and he does just as good for them as he did for us.

Wheelhouse
05-13-2007, 08:54 AM
He'll do well for them.

Krusty
05-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Reds are paying someone to play for another team.

The infactuation Krivsky has for aging relievers and signing them to two years deals makes you wonder if he has alittle Dan O'Brien in him.

Always Red
05-13-2007, 12:55 PM
When Frenchy came to the Reds, I remember he was leading all NL relievers in ERA.

He was awful with the Reds.

I fully expect him to be an effective middle relief/LOOGY guy for the Braves on their playoff run this summer and fall.

There is an organization-wide problem with pitching in the Reds system. It's been that way for as long as I can remember- read west of you's threads on the history of Reds pitching. It was only when the Reds actually had good pitching, from 1970-1979, that they became big winners.

It's not something that can be fixed overnight, but if this club is ever going to win, the entire philosophy of pitching needs to be torn down, and reconstructed.

I'd start with Hume, and pretty quickly at that; the relief corp has been abysmal of late (ie- a few years now), and that's the one area of Reds pitching that has been somewhat steady, at least historically.

Pitchers who are just terrible here go on and become very serviceable, at least mediocre middle relievers elsewhere. Just last year we had Franklin and White who were literally human batting tees. They're both pitching reasonably well this year.

I don't think it's just a matter of picking the proper players. It's how they approach the entire art of pitching, from the time a player is drafted, their approach, their plan. I'm convinced most of these guys have no plan on the mound.

Something has to give. It seems as if the SP's finally have a game plan in mind, instead of just chucking it up there ala Jimmy Haynes, and seeing what happens. But the relief corp, save Weathers, doesn't seem to have a clue.

And just plugging in hard throwing guys without a clue, like Salmon and Burton, is not going to be the answer either. Both remind me of Coffey, who still knows how to throw hard, but seems to (temporarily, I hope!) have forgotten how to PITCH. Advance scouting is a very important part of proper pitching appproach. Maybe it's execution, or maybe it's scouting, but whatever it is, it's not working. And it's organization-wide.

I'd bring in a pitching coordinator, and a bunch of new pitching coaches, both on the minor and major league level, and develop a new philosophy.

westofyou
05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
2 year contracts?

Disinformation much guys?

Reds | Cormier's contract extended through 2007
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:40:58 -0700

Updating previous reports, the Cincinnati Reds have agreed to terms on a one-year contract extension with RP Rheal Cormier, through 2007, according to USAToday.com.