PDA

View Full Version : Twins cut Ponson

Degenerate39
05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Twins cut ties with Ponson

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
May 13, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Twins have given up on Sidney Ponson.

The right-hander said Sunday that he has been released, and he cleared out his locker and said goodbye to teammates one day after his latest disappointing outing.

Ponson (2-5) gave up six runs -- five earned -- and six hits in just four innings during an 8-2 loss to the Detroit Tigers on Saturday night, the Twins' fourth straight defeat and eighth in 10 games.

The Twins signed the 30-year-old starter to a one-year deal in the offseason, hoping the veteran could provide some stability at the back end of an unproven rotation.

But Ponson struggled to keep opposing hitters off the base paths, allowing 74 runners in just 37 2-3 innings pitched this season. He has a 6.93 ERA and walked 17 batters in seven starts, an alarming number for a Twins coaching staff that abhors walks.

Ponson said he will head to his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and hope for another call from a major league club.

"I'm just going to go home and wait," Ponson said. "If nothing happens, nothing happens. No problem. I'll just go sit on the beach. ... If I do have a chance, I'll go full steam again and see what happens."

Twins GM Terry Ryan and manager Ron Gardenhire were not immediately available for comment. They have several options to replace Ponson in the fifth spot in the rotation. Left-hander Glen Perkins has pitched well out of the bullpen this season, and he took over for Ponson on Saturday night, allowing two runs on three hits in four innings.

The Twins also have several promising arms at Triple-A Rochester. Scott Baker, Matt Garza and Kevin Slowey have all pitched very well this season.

peterose00
05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Twins cut ties with Ponson

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
May 13, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Twins have given up on Sidney Ponson.

The right-hander said Sunday that he has been released, and he cleared out his locker and said goodbye to teammates one day after his latest disappointing outing.

Ponson (2-5) gave up six runs -- five earned -- and six hits in just four innings during an 8-2 loss to the Detroit Tigers on Saturday night, the Twins' fourth straight defeat and eighth in 10 games.

The Twins signed the 30-year-old starter to a one-year deal in the offseason, hoping the veteran could provide some stability at the back end of an unproven rotation.

But Ponson struggled to keep opposing hitters off the base paths, allowing 74 runners in just 37 2-3 innings pitched this season. He has a 6.93 ERA and walked 17 batters in seven starts, an alarming number for a Twins coaching staff that abhors walks.

Ponson said he will head to his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and hope for another call from a major league club.

"I'm just going to go home and wait," Ponson said. "If nothing happens, nothing happens. No problem. I'll just go sit on the beach. ... If I do have a chance, I'll go full steam again and see what happens."

Twins GM Terry Ryan and manager Ron Gardenhire were not immediately available for comment. They have several options to replace Ponson in the fifth spot in the rotation. Left-hander Glen Perkins has pitched well out of the bullpen this season, and he took over for Ponson on Saturday night, allowing two runs on three hits in four innings.

The Twins also have several promising arms at Triple-A Rochester. Scott Baker, Matt Garza and Kevin Slowey have all pitched very well this season.

We don't need him. Our starting staff is fine.

Degenerate39
05-13-2007, 06:42 PM
We don't need him. Our starting staff is fine.

Tell that to Wayne

Matt700wlw
05-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Could he provide bullpen help?

Hell, I don't know...

savafan
05-13-2007, 06:51 PM
And think, Ponson has been twice as good as Jeff Weaver. ;)

peterose00
05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
And think, Ponson has been twice as good as Jeff Weaver. ;)

You hate to say it -- but the thought crosses the mind tyhat possibly he is drinking again.

savafan
05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
You hate to say it -- but the thought crosses the mind tyhat possibly he is drinking again.

Based on what? :confused:

peterose00
05-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Based on what? :confused:

He had had problems in that regard previously and statistically a relapse is quite probable.

Screwball
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM

I'm not sure I really see the problem if he was. He's going to be living in Ft. Lauderdale with a bank account full of loot. He sounded pretty content with his life right now, as he's looking forward to spending days on the beach. I'd probably be knocking back a few too.

savafan
05-13-2007, 07:30 PM
He had had problems in that regard previously and statistically a relapse is quite probable.

You can tell that from his ERA?

I'm sure it's possible, but it's a jump to throw that accusation out there with nothing else to base it on.

edabbs44
05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Exclusive photo of WK shortly after hearing of Ponson's release:

http://www.justinbrothers.com/Images/drooling_homer.gif

guttle11
05-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Wait, you're allowed to cut bad pitchers?

Huh...

Patrick Bateman
05-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Could he provide bullpen help?

Hell, I don't know...

No.

Will M
05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
no

we don't need retreads. we need to see if the young pitchers we have on the roster and in AAA can cut it or not.

flyer85
05-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Twins stupidity to even try it. Spot should have went to Slowey to begin with.

Matt700wlw
05-13-2007, 08:49 PM
No.

I'm trying for anything at this point...

mth123
05-13-2007, 08:56 PM

If I may add to Austin Kearns decidedly correct "no." The phrase "not with a 10 foot pole" comes to mind.

If we're just going to throw things against the wall, lets start with our own minor league pitchers (as should have been done last year). I'd be ok with an acquisition of a real difference maker, but no more taking a flyer on anyone unless they have youth and some reason (even if faint) to think there is some promise there.

Ponson is past his expiration date.

flyer85
05-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Get rid of Castro, Conine and Stanton and go with EE, Votto and Salmon.

Degenerate39
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Get rid of Castro, Conine and Stanton and go with EE, Votto and Salmon.

Flyer85 for GM

hebroncougar
05-13-2007, 09:19 PM

And therein lies the problem. Too much money up front, and no work ethic.

WMR
05-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I say we give him a 2 year contract.

hebroncougar
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I say we give him a 2 year contract.

He's not over 40, and he's not LH, you couldn't work for Krivsky.:D

Patrick Bateman
05-13-2007, 09:24 PM

Adding Ponson would actually make the bullpen worse. I know, that's a tough feat.

The Reds need to take a chance on some interesting guys. There is nothing about Ponson even mildly interesting. We're talking about a guy that has been a bad pitcher for basically his entire 10 year career, save 1 season. He's got a proven track record of sucking. Plus he's not young, and doesn't have the stuff that would be required for even a modest turn around. If the Reds are going to throw crap against a wall, it may as well be with young guys, or else an improvement is not in the future.

However, he would give the Reds a guy to play the drunk Santa Claus at Christmas parties.

Chip R
05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Don't do it, Wayne!

WMR
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
However, he would give the Reds a guy to play the drunk Santa Claus at Christmas parties.

I thought Dick Pole had that job covered?

peterose00
05-14-2007, 12:04 AM
You can tell that from his ERA?

I'm sure it's possible, but it's a jump to throw that accusation out there with nothing else to base it on.

I am basing that on him being released unceremoniously. That doesn't just happen without some other reason. I hope I am wrong about that.

cincinnati chili
05-14-2007, 12:12 AM
This is his fourth straight bad season, and he wasn't really trustworthy as a starter even in the years when he was "good."

He's not going to recapture his old magic, cuz there was never any magic.