PDA

View Full Version : Random Trade Idea

RedLegSuperStar
05-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Adam Dunn & PTBNL to Texas Rangers

Hank Blalock, Brandon McCarthy, & AJ Murray to Reds

Patrick Bateman
05-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Why bother putting a PTBNL in there? It's impossible to judge the actual value of that without a name. PTBNL's can be good sometimes.

That return isn't enough for Dunn IMO. Generally, trading quality for quantity is not a wise move. Offensively, Blaclock has stumbled towards being useless, and his defense is every bit as bad as Encarnacion's. Plus he's making some money. He has negative value at this point. If the Reds are trading Dunn to go for it in the future, then Blaclock is not a good target.

McCarthy is looking like trouble. He's struggled mightily so far, and due to his huge homerun tendencies, I would be very wary of putting him in GABP. He has good stuff, but I have my doubts whether he can be even an average starting pitcher, especially when his homerun rates are stretched out even further.

Murray has upside as a middle reliever. Nothing special there.

To be honest, if the Reds are going to deal Dunn, they need to get some potential difference makers at cheap rates. In Blalock you have a guy that isn't very good and isn't worth his already high salary, and with McCarthy you have mediocre pitcher upside. I just don't see how this trade moves the Reds forward. They don't become better now, and they don't get any pieces that really brightens the future. Not nearly enough upside here.

sonny
05-14-2007, 05:27 AM
Why bother putting a PTBNL in there? It's impossible to judge the actual value of that without a name. PTBNL's can be good sometimes.

That return isn't enough for Dunn IMO. Generally, trading quality for quantity is not a wise move. Offensively, Blaclock has stumbled towards being useless, and his defense is every bit as bad as Encarnacion's. Plus he's making some money. He has negative value at this point. If the Reds are trading Dunn to go for it in the future, then Blaclock is not a good target.

McCarthy is looking like trouble. He's struggled mightily so far, and due to his huge homerun tendencies, I would be very wary of putting him in GABP. He has good stuff, but I have my doubts whether he can be even an average starting pitcher, especially when his homerun rates are stretched out even further.

Murray has upside as a middle reliever. Nothing special there.

To be honest, if the Reds are going to deal Dunn, they need to get some potential difference makers at cheap rates. In Blalock you have a guy that isn't very good and isn't worth his already high salary, and with McCarthy you have mediocre pitcher upside. I just don't see how this trade moves the Reds forward. They don't become better now, and they don't get any pieces that really brightens the future. Not nearly enough upside here.

Yep, taking a step sideways IMO.