PDA

View Full Version : Junior tops Vernon Wells in dealing with a heckler

MasonBuzz3
05-14-2007, 02:28 PM
didnt see this mentioned anywhere on here.
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=40172915&blogID=263990044

Degenerate39
05-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Can you copy and paste that? Myspace is blocked on school computers.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-14-2007, 02:34 PM
That's definitely a step up from the Wells baseball :laugh:

HumnHilghtFreel
05-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Here it is

Last night at the Dodger game we sat right next to Cincinatti's dugout, 4th row box. They are by far the best seats I've had for a game. We were getting eye contact from all the players when I decided I would give the Dodgers an extra edge...I was going to try and get in Ken Griffey Jr's head a little bit. He had to walk right by us to get to the dugout and I just couldn't help myself. So I started with the basics: YOU SUCK..SHOULDN'T YOU BE ON THE D.L...TOO OLD FOR CENTER....that kind of stuff. Well, by the 2nd inning he was looking right at me giving me the looks. When he walks in from the 6th inning he decided he had enough and came over to talk some smack. He called me some fat references which was hilarious and then he told me I couldnt touch the threads on his jock...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/fat20/griffsjock.jpg

I then told him to show me what he's got, that he talks a big game and then I told him to limp back to the dugout where he belongs and I even said some things about his Mom. I told him I might be fat, but I could still play center field:) It was an incredible exchange to say the least. After the 6th inning he walks out and stops to talk to me holding a brown paper bag in his hand. He motions to throw it to me and I told him no, I know that trick. He laughs and says catch it, so I put up my hands and he tosses it over. He wouldn't leave until I opened it and when I finally did, the whole place erupted with laughter. Griffey throws me his jock...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/fat20/mattjock.jpg

bounty37h
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Thats frickin awesome, way to go JR, lots of ways to handle that idiot, you picked the best!!!!

Sean_CaseyRules
05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Definately the best that I've ever seen or heard of!

Johnny Footstool
05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm kind of puzzled that this guy felt so good about A) being a jerk in public, and B) getting put in his place.

But it was pretty funny!

hebroncougar
05-14-2007, 03:39 PM
And making fun of someone's mom who has been sick is pretty cool.

Degenerate39
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
That guy is the world's biggest ass

TC81190
05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Notice the man in the Mariners jersey in the 2nd pic clapping.

Jharb74
05-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Well if that's from someones myspace blog it must be true!!

klw
05-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Gee nice to see the kids sitting next to him who got to experience all of this. Way to give the home team the edge. I'm sure that is what caused the sweep.

jimbo
05-14-2007, 04:39 PM
LOL, now that is just damn funny. Way to go Junior. :thumbup:

thatcoolguy_22
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Notice the man in the Mariners jersey in the 2nd pic clapping.

yeah I know he brought a glove to the game...:laugh:

DannyB
05-14-2007, 06:11 PM
The game I watched had the Reds in the whites

Jerry Narron
05-14-2007, 07:25 PM
That first picture of Junior looks photoshopped to me.

vaticanplum
05-14-2007, 07:36 PM

But they let you tool around on redszone all day? ;)

Great story. One of the things I love about Junior is that he's human. And awesome.

SunDeck
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
...my boy was a huge fan of his in Seattle

This guy has a kid?
Somewhere in LA, there is a boy with a very bleak future.

Reds Fanatic
05-14-2007, 07:49 PM
This is from C. Trent's blog:

Griffey on the jock affair: 'can't a guy be fan friendly?'

It totally did happen - griffey said he asked someone to get the biggest jock they could find - it was a xxl and had never been worn. Griffey didn't write anything on it

gm
05-14-2007, 07:59 PM
griffey said he asked someone to get the biggest jock they could find - it was a xxl and had never been worn

Left over gear from Calvin Pickering?

Grounds_Crew
05-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Haha...I must say...I've never seen Junior go to those extremes...but I've seen him deal with ignorant fans many times. I always enjoyed it, haha.

BoydsOfSummer
05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
I've never understood the heckling bit. Just don't get it. It totally peeves me off if therte are one/some near me at a game. They don't like hearing "shut the blank up" either.

TeamBoone
05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
The game I watched had the Reds in the whites

Then you were watching the wrong game... they only wear white at home; they were in L.A.

I like how Jr responded, but I don't in any way think the heckling guy was cool. I really want to swear here, but I wont... I hate when fans treat players like that, especially when it gets so personal as to bring their family members into the mix. It's totally uncalled for. I don't think they'd like it if a family member was verbally abused, especially one who has been diagnosed with a potentially terminal illness.

But! Way to go Jr.

Redleg75
05-14-2007, 11:04 PM
What's Jr. doing engaging with a heckling fan for while his team -- the one that he a supposed leader on -- is crumbling around him. I don't really get the humor anyway. Please no "well you must not have a sense of humor" responses. It's unproffesional -- he should try getting a little hot and a wee bit more intense. Perhaps that would rub off on the bums. We'll never win with him on this team.

Matt700wlw
05-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Wow.

:rolleyes:

Yup, Junior's the reason this team is losing.

RedEye
05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I think you're overreacting. Junior's sense of humor is probably one of the only things this team has going for it right now.

Gunner44
05-14-2007, 11:19 PM
keeping the team lose is part of your job as a team leader

Razor Shines
05-14-2007, 11:20 PM
What's Jr. doing engaging with a heckling fan for while his team -- the one that he a supposed leader on -- is crumbling around him. I don't really get the humor anyway. Please no "well you must not have a sense of humor" responses. It's unproffesional -- he should try getting a little hot and a wee bit more intense. Perhaps that would rub off on the bums. We'll never win with him on this team.

He is a little hot, he hit .400 last week.

But I know baseball players should scowl 24 hours a day when the team is in a slump, smiling is unprofesSional.

Natty Redlocks
05-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I've been really critical of Junior in the past but unless he's been pitching the eighth he is far from being this team's problem.

justincredible
05-14-2007, 11:21 PM
There's no fun in baseball.

Redleg75
05-14-2007, 11:35 PM
"He is a little hot, he hit .400 last week."

Yes Jr had good numbers last week -- we lost all but one. I guess attitude is not a problem on the team -- you all are right. We play smart aggressive baseball..we take pitches...get key hits...and have excellent leadership. I'd like to recind my post. Let's keep having fun and LOSING.

redsfan30
05-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Yep...Junior's the reason this team sucks.

:rolleyes:

Redleg75
05-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Yep..when Jr fails to act like a pro others don't either. As I said -- we'll never win with Griffey on the team. I'll be the first to eat those words but it ain't happening.

jimbo
05-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Yep..when Jr fails to act like a pro others don't either. As I said -- we'll never win with Griffey on the team. I'll be the first to eat those words but it ain't happening.

Everytime I think I've heard it all, all I have to do is come back here and it's always a good bet you will find garbage like this. Mind boggling. :rolleyes:

Grounds_Crew
05-14-2007, 11:46 PM
The same people that say things like, "athletes are people just like us" are the same people who seem to forget, that these guys indeed are "people just like us".

The playing field is his place of work, just like you might have an office, a delivery route, etc. So, I'm sure YOU could only take so much of "heckling", bashing, name calling (especially about your ill mother), etc. So, yes...he's human...he's at work. I'd get tired of hearing the same old crap too.

Until you can sit close enough...on a regular basis and hear what fans say to these guys, and how they treat them, then you are just shooting off at the mouth.

Add all of the heckling to the fact that you are a future hall of fame player on nearly the worst team in baseball. How would you feel....at work?

cincrazy
05-14-2007, 11:47 PM
My friend, that's an absurd comment. Let the scapegoating of Jr. begin. The guy is one of the few reasons this team isn't 0-38 heading into tonight's game. And he's the problem?

George Anderson
05-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Lighten Up Francis!!

nate
05-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Yet again, we see the correlation between losses and SpI (smiles per inning).

MLB
YEAR: 2007
SORT BY: LOSSES, SPI

TEAM L SPI
K.C. 26 4.5
WASH 25 4.1
CINC 24 3.9

As you can clearly see, the Reds are rubbing right up against 4 SpIs...its almost as if we never traded Sean Casey! That Royals team, even with Jason "hardnose" LaRue is in some serious trouble. A 4.5 SpI team is not a winning team as evidenced by some extremely smile heavy, late 70's Atlanta teams with "Happy" Dave Bristol at the helm. From 1975 to 1981, the Braves managed a whopping 4.9 SpI! Listen to Darrel Chaney in his own words:

"Man, we had such a good time sitting on the bench, especially when Brian Asselstine was there. We would be sitting there making jokes about his last name, "Man, its hot, can I borrow some of your ASSELSTINE spray?" We laughed so hard at that one, IT ALMOST DIDN'T MATTER IF WE WON OR LOST."

Chaney career 0.98 SpI...a regular Isiah Thomas without the success.

Us serious Reds fans would call Girardi's no facial hair rule "a good start." I'd go as far as banning facial expressions altogether. Anyone who can't hack it gets sent to Louisville, DFA'ed or a Hannibal Lecter mask.

Razor Shines
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM

That's an easy prediction to make when Jr. is on a team that's apparently pretty bad. You're really going out on a limb there.

Blaming Jr. for this team's problems is absolutely silly, and I don't even need to say it, you're making yourself look foolish.

Unassisted
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
ESPN.com has picked up this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2870769).

Good thing the Reds were playing in LA when this happened. ESPN wouldn't have even known about this if it hadn't happened on one of the coasts. ;)

TeamBoone
05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Sounds like the "fan" is a decent guy. He even apologized about the "mother" remark.

This same story has appeared on various sports networks, not just ESPN (but I know what you're saying... they finally showed a team other than the Yankees this week).

May 15, 2007

Griffey's gesture wins Dodger fan's supportESPN.com news services

There are Ken Griffey Jr. fans and there are Ken Griffey Jr. supporters. The two worlds met at Dodger Stadium, when the Cincinnati Reds outfielder won over a heckler with a one-of-a-kind souvenier.

The fan, seated behind the Reds dugout, was riding Griffey all game long on Friday before Griffey turned the tables.

"We were getting eye contact from all the players when I decided I would give the Dodgers an extra edge," the fan, identified in the Cincinnati Post as Matt Schafer, 25, wrote on his MySpace page. "I was going to try and get in Ken Griffey Jr.'s head a little bit. He had to walk right by us to get to the dugout and I just couldn't help myself."

"So I started with the basics: 'you suck ... shouldn't you be on the D.L. ... too old for center ... that kind of stuff."

Griffey said he was happy to play along.

"He was just on me every time I came in," Griffey said. "Him being a little larger than normal, I just asked, 'Shouldn't you be wearing a support bra?' "

In the sixth inning, Griffey sent someone back to the Reds clubhouse to fetch the largest athletic supporter he could find. The accomplice wrote the number "3" and "JR" on the waistband, and Griffey put the supporter in a brown paper bag, rolled it up and tossed it to Schafer when he ran back onto the field.

Schafer, a musician from San Pedro, Calif., opened the bag, pulled out the athletic supporter and began twirling it on his finger, with stadium cameras broadcasting the man's reaction for posterity.

"He was like, 'Whoa!'" Griffey told the Cincnnati Enquirer. "I turned around before all that stuff happened, but I could hear that section just laughing. Then I turned around and just saw him twirling it in the air like a helicopter."

Schafer had been won over.

"When Griffey came back in, I told him I was sorry about what [I] said about his mom and that I wanted to make up," he wrote on his MySpace page. "He shot me a grin. When he came out in the 8th [inning] he shot me another smile and I told him he still has the greatest swing in baseball. I hope he heard me, I think he did. I love Griffey."

In an e-mail interview with The Cincinnati Post, Schafer said he couldn't believe his story got so big, so fast.

"Griffey was so much fun that night. I know he was having fun with me too and it was all done in good taste. He is an incredible player with spectacular character," Schafer said via e-mail, according to the Post. "I hope we can laugh about that sometime again together. Maybe he will sign the now infamous jock for me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2870769

gm
05-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Parting shot from Junior: "I'm sure it would fit him around the waist," Griffey said of the jock strap, which he called the biggest he'd ever seen. "But I'm not sure he could fill out the front."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AE/20070515/SPT05/705150336/

Maldez
05-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I dunno. Looks bogus to me.

BaseballBum
05-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Wow, how awesome. Sure showed that guy.

keeganbrick
05-16-2007, 01:12 AM

Lol, yea Jr is horrible and the main reason for this team's demise.

MrCinatit
05-16-2007, 07:28 AM
I liked the story.

Never have been a fan of hecklers myself. Hecklers most of the times end up being the biggest idiots in the ballpark.
Though I do snicker sometimes sitting next to a fan who was giving Tim Crews a yelling when he was a Dodger. Ironically, the guy was a Dodger's fan - but hated Crews with a passion.

BoxingRed
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I liked the story.

Never have been a fan of hecklers myself. Hecklers most of the times end up being the biggest idiots in the ballpark.
Though I do snicker sometimes sitting next to a fan who was giving Tim Crews a yelling when he was a Dodger. Ironically, the guy was a Dodger's fan - but hated Crews with a passion.

Does it count as heckling when I shouted, "You suck Mays" at Joe Mays during the Reds-Braves game last season or was I just overstating the obvious? I mean a fan can only take so much.:D