PDA

View Full Version : Bengals release Sam Adams

CTA513
05-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Bengals release Adams

By GEOFF HOBSON
May 14, 2007

Posted: 2:30 p.m.

Just 13 months after signing three-time Pro Bowler Sam Adams to anchor their run defense, the Bengals terminated his contract Monday to make way for younger defensive tackles.

The move comes the same day they announced signing Kenderick Allen, a fifth-year player with the Packers in 2006, two weeks after they drafted Oregon’s Matt Toeaina in the sixth round, and three weeks after they signed Denver’s Michael Myers in free agency. The move also basically assures second-year man Domata Peko starts next to John Thornton in the middle of the Bengals 4-3.

The move doesn’t appear to be made for salary-cap reasons, given that the Bengals figure to save only $700,000 by cutting Adams one year into his three–year deal. He was scheduled to make $1.5 million, but the acceleration of his $1.2 million signing bonus takes up $800,000.

Adams, who turns 34 next month, started all 16 games last season. But after he spent the spring and much of training camp off the field with the strength and conditioning staff, he injured a knee in his only preseason appearance and ended up as part of a tackle rotation that saw the emergence of Peko and required arthroscopic surgery after the season.

Before arthroscopic surgery following the season, Adams finished with 25 tackles, two sacks, and a pass defensed compared to Peko’s 49 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and a forced fumble.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6047

OesterPoster
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, darn it. There goes my selection in the "Next Bengal to Get Arrested" pool.

;)

rotnoid
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, darn it. There goes my selection in the "Next Bengal to Get Arrested" pool.

;)

Don't count yourself out yet. Maybe these two stories are related.
Pro Football Talk Rumor Mill (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

ANOTHER BENGAL ARREST COMING?

A source in Cincy has tipped us off to a situation that, if not soon rectified, could result in the arrest of yet another member of the local football team/home for wayward men.

Per the source, a player rented a car in late March for one week. He has yet to bring it back. He hasn't called to extend the rental.

The bill is currently over $3,000, and eventually the car will be reported as stolen.

Stay tuned.

Reds Freak
05-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Wow, didn't see that one coming. They were collecting a lot of depth on the front line, albeit mediocre depth. I wonder what this means for the stability of the JungleKats??;)

BoydsOfSummer
05-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I released a bunch of Sam Adams during the Reds "game
" yesterday.

Summer Ale...mmm...