PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Some game... / 2 Hits in 12 Innings / Harang complete game?

MartyFan
05-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Aaron Harang pitched some game last night, eh?

9 innings...7 K's....1 R...not bad.

Sad that Weathers had to pitch 3 innings...Sad that Wells allowed 7 hits and the team only scored one run on him...5 LOB...but the Pads had 5 LOB as well.

Nonetheless, the good guys won!

Bobcat J
05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Interesting note from last night's game. A team hasn't been held to just two hits in 12 innings in over 20 years.

From Elias via ESPN

The Padres were held to just two hits in 12 innings in their 2-1 loss to the Reds. You have to go back more than 20 years to find the last major league team to be held to so few hits in a game that lasted at least 12 innings. On Aug. 26, 1986, the Expos were held to two hits in a 12-inning, 1-0 loss in San Francisco.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2871938

justincredible
05-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Harang pitched outstanding. If it weren't for the 8th inning curse the Reds seem to have he more than likely would have had a complete game shut out. Harang also usually benefits from a ton of run support, unfortunately they couldn't get him the W last night.

Griffey4MVP
05-16-2007, 11:10 AM
did harang get credit for a complete game last night even though no win?

Puffy
05-16-2007, 11:11 AM
no

coachw513
05-16-2007, 11:43 AM
For all the abuse heaped on him directly (and indirectly due to his simply occupying the title "relief pitcher") Weathers has had a really good year and continues to be the most consistent option down there...my blood pressure is at a "bullpen low" when he pitches...that being said, it probably still is in the "might need medication" range :D

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2007, 11:51 AM
He didn't finish the game, so no.

George Anderson
05-16-2007, 11:52 AM
did harang get credit for a complete game last night even though no win?

Whether you win or not has nothing to do if its a complete game.

LincolnparkRed
05-16-2007, 11:56 AM
He might get a nice pat on the back and an extra beer in the clubhouse from Jerry for sparing the bullpen through 9 but since he didn't go all 12 he can't get a complete game

texasdave
05-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Whether you win or not has nothing to do if its a complete game.

At the same time, you cannot pitch a complete game without getting either a win or a loss. So the two events are connected.

George Anderson
05-16-2007, 12:01 PM
At the same time, you cannot pitch a complete game without getting either a win or a loss. So the two events are connected.

Is it still a complete game if you pitch nine innings and are taken out, but the game goes into extra innings?

texasdave
05-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Is it still a complete game if you pitch nine innings and are taken out, but the game goes into extra innings?

No.

BCubb2003
05-16-2007, 12:03 PM

No. He didn't complete the game.

Red Leader
05-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Nope. Have to pitch all innings your team plays.

Hoosier Red
05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
On the flip side you do get a complete game if you pitch say 5 innings and the rest are rained out.

Puffy
05-16-2007, 12:27 PM
On the flip side you do get a complete game if you pitch say 5 innings and the rest are rained out.

yes

Degenerate39
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Nope unfortunetly because he did a masterful job last night. Except for the balk. Other than that he was back to his old self.

Red Leader
05-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Not to take anything away from Harang's performance last night, because he threw real well and I was really happy with his performance, but he ALWAYS seems to pitch well in his hometown of San Diego.

PuffyPig
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Harang pitched fine last night (as he has most of the year), but at the end of the day, the big difference was pitching in the big park (likely 2 HR's saved) and actually getting very good BABIP luck last night (which he was long overdue for).

His K's and walk were actually worse than usual.

Far East
05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Pleased to see Narron not trying to fix what was not broken.

Stuck with Aaron as long as possible, stuck with Weathers as long as possible.

I dread to see relief R-R/L-L matchups one after another after another when the original guy was doing just fine.

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Nope unfortunetly because he did a masterful job last night. Except for the balk. Other than that he was back to his old self.

He looked all discombobulated during that windup. I'm actually glad he balked, because if he would have thrown an actual pitch, it would have been an 88-mph floater down the middle. I think the balk helped him pause and refocus.

Screwball
05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
He looked all discombobulated during that windup. I'm actually glad he balked, because if he would have thrown an actual pitch, it would have been an 88-mph floater down the middle. I think the balk helped him pause and refocus.

Agreed, I was thinking that too. I have a question also: if the "pitch" he attempted to throw right after he balked had been crushed for a homer, it wouldn't have counted, right?

Matt700wlw
05-16-2007, 07:30 PM
I guess Harang's not hurt :)

Matt700wlw
05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Pleased to see Narron not trying to fix what was not broken.

Stuck with Aaron as long as possible, stuck with Weathers as long as possible.

I dread to see relief R-R/L-L matchups one after another after another when the original guy was doing just fine.

I think somebody in the dugout got smart and took away his book and hid it somewhere safe.

Danny Serafini
05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
The homer would count. From rule 8.05:

PENALTY: The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/pitcher_8.jsp

reds44
05-16-2007, 07:33 PM
The homer would count. From rule 8.05:

PENALTY: The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/pitcher_8.jsp
So hypothetically, lets say it's a 3-1 count with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Harang trips, balk, but still throws the pitch and it's a ball.

Does rule 8.05 mean that it's just a walk to load the bases and the runner does not score?

UC_Ken
05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
So hypothetically, lets say it's a 3-1 count with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Harang trips, balk, but still throws the pitch and it's a ball.

Does rule 8.05 mean that it's just a walk to load the bases and the runner does not score?

According to the rule all runners must advance so the only way the balk doesn't count is if the guy is forced home to score.