PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

Newman4
05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey, apparently along with many other posters, I have lost my status as an ORG poster. Some may be angry at this and be disappointed, but I'd rather be in the Sun Deck myself. I find that the dialogue is much more candid and more like what you would find at the park. Different people and many different opinions. Anyone else rather be in the Sun Deck?

Degenerate39
05-21-2007, 01:48 PM
I would rather have access to both forums but I can live with the Sun Deck if I must. I'll miss the Game Threads though so I guess I'll have to go to the chat during the games to discuss what's going on.

TeamSelig
05-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I HATE not being able to post on both forums.... I don't like being able to read stuff and not be able to give my opinion.

TeamBoone
05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I HATE not being able to post on both forums.... I don't like being able to read stuff and not be able to give my opinion.

Me too. It's hard for me to read something that I disagree with and not have the right to refute it (in ANY forum).

I think I may have to NOT read the Sun Deck forum, as I know it's going to become frustrating.

I do think there should be a game thread in each forum.

Sea Ray
05-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Me too. It's hard for me to read something that I disagree with and not have the right to refute it (in ANY forum).

I think I may have to NOT read the Sun Deck forum, as I know it's going to become frustrating.

If you can't reply there's no sense in even entering the forum.

Heath
05-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm waiting for Natty Redlocks to compose a song called 'Sun Deck" to the tune of Gordon Lightfoot's 'Sundown'.

Of course, Natty's gonna have to dig up the file on Napster to do it......

:D

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by TeamSelig

There's no question it's completely strange too me. I have yet to even try to post, so I don't know where I am able to post. But I am not gonna like not having the ability to post my opinion on a thread. Oh well, we will see how it goes, my guess is not very well. But I sorta understand the logic behind making some type of move, I just don't feel this is the right one.

:confused:

Check that I must be ON DECK because I no longer have an Avatar. Hmmm, that really makes me wonder?

texasdave
05-21-2007, 05:09 PM
If you can't reply there's no sense in even entering the forum.

OTOH, if you don't enter the other forum how do you judge the quality of posts made by people who apply or get nominated for admission into ORG?

KYRed
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry if I'm not supposed to have details on this topic since I never had access to ORG, but did some sort of Survivor type voting off occur to send people down to only Sun Deck posting capabilites with this board change?

redsrule2500
05-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, it's too bad we can't reply in both forums...I'll miss Reds Live.

keeganbrick
05-21-2007, 05:48 PM
I dont understand what happened. It said for access the ORG you could go to user CP then go to groups or something and get approved if you met the criteria. So I did that made one post in ORG then got my privilages revoked again.

I dont really know why there cant be 2 game threads if we cant post in the ORG. The chat is alright but I would rather have the game thread available to post in. :(

TeamCasey
05-21-2007, 05:54 PM
There was a kink this morning.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1355047&postcount=31

NastyBoy
05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I am going to miss the all negative points from the elites... one person in particular saved some up in the off season just for me. He is a very thoughtful, nurturing person. I kind of liked having every one of my posts scrutinized by this hole.

keeganbrick
05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
There was a kink this morning.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1355047&postcount=31

Ok thanks, but I dont really know why they are calling it a "flaw" like I intended to cheat the system to get in the ORG. This "flaw" was stated in how you can gain access to the ORG.

"Members may also apply for access to The Old Red Guard via their User Control Panel under “Group Memberships”. If a user chooses to apply for Old Red Guard access instead of being nominated by an existing member, these users must be registered a minimum six months and have a minimum 200 posts."

In reading this I thought the applying consisted of being a member for 6 months and having at least 200 posts.

Maybe I just read your link wrong now that I go back and look at it again though. Just because Boss said he removed any members taking advantage of this flaw doesnt really consist of him saying I cheated the system. Sorry, just been a rough day overall.

Boss-Hog
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Ok thanks, but I dont really know why they are calling it a "flaw" like I intended to cheat the system to get in the ORG. This "flaw" was stated in how you can gain access to the ORG.

"Members may also apply for access to The Old Red Guard via their User Control Panel under “Group Memberships”. If a user chooses to apply for Old Red Guard access instead of being nominated by an existing member, these users must be registered a minimum six months and have a minimum 200 posts."

In reading this I thought the applying consisted of being a member for 6 months and having at least 200 posts.

Maybe I just read your link wrong now that I go back and look at it again though. Just because Boss said he removed any members taking advantage of this flaw doesnt really consist of him saying I cheated the system. Sorry, just been a rough day overall.
It was a flaw in that users could join the ORG group without application/voting ( not that they were purposely trying to do that). I know that you didn't try to cheat the system - based on the provided vB documentation, I was expecting all users who applied to be placed into a queue pending moderator approval. Instead, however, once someone tried to join the group, they were immediately part of the group. I'm working right now on finding out how to get it to function the way we intended.

peterose00
05-21-2007, 06:48 PM
It doesn't bother me much because I am a fairly new poster myself -- I wouldn't have qualified for the elite status under any measurement. I do find it amusing that the "elite" forum is called Old Red Guard -- and proudly proclaims that this area was named after a prominent deceased poster.

We all post in an area called "Sun Deck" -- named after the cheap seats, an open, unroofed porch or platform extending from the nicer part of the stadium.

Should we have a big "L" stamped on our foreheads as well?

The fact is that while that may have been the "Freudian slip" kind of thought process behind this move, it usually works in the exact opposite way. Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are mostly likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

For the converse of "elitism" see "anti-elitism," "populism," and the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an elite individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity.

At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes, though inaccurately, known as the "social elite."

The term elitism is also sometimes misused to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This debased form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

Natty Redlocks
05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm waiting for Natty Redlocks to compose a song called 'Sun Deck" to the tune of Gordon Lightfoot's 'Sundown'.

Of course, Natty's gonna have to dig up the file on Napster to do it......

:D

Never heard of it.

Actually I was thinking more the Beach Boys:

"Everybody's now lurkin'.........Lurkin' ORG....."

vaticanplum
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
It doesn't bother me much because I am a fairly new poster myself -- I wouldn't have qualified for the elite status under any measurement. I do find it amusing that the "elite" forum is called Old Red Guard -- and proudly proclaims that this area was named after a prominent deceased poster.

We all post in an area called "Sun Deck" -- named after the cheap seats, an open, unroofed porch or platform extending from the nicer part of the stadium.

The fact is that while that may have been the "Freudian slip" kind of thought process behind this move, it usually works in the exact opposite way. Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are mostly likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

For the converse of "elitism" see "anti-elitism," "populism," and the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an elite individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity.

At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes, though inaccurately, known as the "social elite."

The term elitism is also sometimes misused to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This debased form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

I just tried to give this post rep :laugh:

This will all take some getting used to.

wheels
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Have you sat in the Sun Deck?

First, they aren't the "Cheap Seats". Ticket prices are in the 18-20 dollar range.

The Sun Deck is named for a very popular area of Crosely Field, and the area in the new park is modeled after that.

In the Sun Deck Area, fans can walk around freely, and hang out under the power stacks. It comes in handy on those 90 degree days because of the cooling mist that sprays you, but doesn't quite get you wet.

I sit there every chance I get, and I'll bet that view from atop the batter's eye is spectacular.

The way I see it, The Sun Deck is a pretty cool name. Hardly meant to deride or chastize.

TC81190
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
I am going to miss the all negative points from the elites... one person in particular saved some up in the off season just for me. He is a very thoughtful, nurturing person. I kind of liked having every one of my posts scrutinized by this hole.

Seriously.

If I decided to stick around, I think I would've been glad to use the Sun Deck. Y'know, so I could post that I like Ryan Freel and not have somebody (or somebody x 23) tell me I'm wrong and immediatley shove "Mathemetic Metric Irrelevant to the Game of Baseball # 5,688" down my throat to back him up, followed by 28 posts quoting his containing some snarky remark about what I said and everyone patting themselves on the back.

Sorry I didn't conform guys. :rolleyes:

KittyDuran
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM

The term elitism is also sometimes misused to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This debased form of elitism may be described as discrimination.I echo what VP said... where is that rep button? Now see, this is a well thought out post (I might not agree with everything said but it was worded in a way that stated your case). :beerme:

KittyDuran
05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
To those in the Sun Deck... you might be interested to know that a few of us in the ORG wanted to be "left behind" (so to speak) on whatever Reds Live! would become to not only post there but to mentor those to get into ORG. Even tho' I was a ORG member from the beginning, I posted more on Reds Live! because I wanted everyone to respond to my post - esp. when I was giving away extra promotions.

Just be grateful that Boss and GIK didn't take to heart my suggestion two years ago when ORG and Reds Live! were split... I told them to trash the place - it was their baby and they wouldn't make everyone happy no matter what they do - why bother with the headaches? [I'm also saying that now, FWTW... :(]

DannyB
05-21-2007, 09:31 PM
WOW this is really gonna mess me up..........;)

REDREAD
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I'll miss talking a lot of you guys now that we are segregated.

macro
05-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Elitism is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite — a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are mostly likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern. Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of the elite.

...and for those wishing to read the remainder of this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism

peterose00
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
...and for those wishing to read the remainder of this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism

Someone is said to be suffering from tall poppy syndrome when his or her assumption of a higher economic, social or political position attracts criticism, being perceived as presumptuous, attention seeking or without merit. The process can be linked with anti-intellectualism, especially with public criticism by the media or community leaders of particular academics or members of the intelligentsia.

The term originates from accounts in Aristotle's Politics (Book 5, Chapter 10) and Livy's History of Rome, Book I. Aristotle wrote: "Periander advised Thrasybulus by cutting off the tops of the tallest ears of corn, meaning that he must always put out of the way the citizens who overtop the rest." In Livy's account, the Roman tyrant, Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, received a messenger from his son Sextus asking what he should do next in Gabii, since he had become all-powerful there. Rather than answering the messenger, Tarquinius went into his garden, took a stick, and symbolically swept it across his garden, thus cutting off the heads of the tallest poppies that were growing there. The messenger, tired of waiting for an answer, returned to Gabii and told Sextus what happened, who realised that his father wished him to put to death all the most eminent people of Gabii, which he then did.

A kind of reverse snobbery, this syndrome may have originated in Australasia as a rejection of the British class system.[1] Immigrants to Australia and New Zealand often adopted an egalitarian attitude, viewing people as admirable for what they themselves could do and rejecting the notion that some people are "naturally" superior to their peers by right of birth.

This phenomenon is often interpreted by foreign observers as a resentment of others' success[citation needed]. Those who subscribe, however, see themselves as attacking targets which take themselves too seriously or flaunt their success without due humility.[citation needed] Apparent cases of tall poppy syndrome can often be explained as resentment not of success but of snobbery and arrogance; many Australasians have achieved success and wealth without attracting such hostility

peterose00
05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I'll miss talking a lot of you guys now that we are segregated.

Segregation means separation.

It may refer to:

Racial segregation, separation according to race

Religious segregation, separation according to religious affiliation

Sex segregation, separation according to gender

REDSZONE Segregation, seperation according to how a handful of others view your opinions about the Reds -- they would just as soon act as if an opinion different from their own simply does not exist:mooner::mooner::mooner:

Geographical segregation, separation of groups from a large population into different areas.

Security segregation, the separation of assets belonging to customers from the assets of the financial institution holding them

Dracodave
05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
REDSZONE Segregation, seperation according to how a handful of others view your opinions about the Reds -- they would just as soon act as if an opinion different from their own simply does not exist:mooner::mooner::mooner:

Or you're opinion simply doesn't matter as much as theirs does, but you are a "mess" and not "worthy of meaningfull and intelligent posts" that can "enlighten the populus" over how many times in the season Dunn picks his nose instead of running to left field.

peterose00
05-21-2007, 10:52 PM
:thumbdown
Or you're opinion simply doesn't matter as much as theirs does, but you are a "mess" and not "worthy of meaningfull and intelligent posts" that can "enlighten the populus" over how many times in the season Dunn picks his nose instead of running to left field.

Dunn never runs in Left Field, so that one is easy. Ooopps, that one comment will keep me in the Sun Deck for another few months....:laugh:

The people who decided this was a good idea have got to be a real barrel of laughs to be around......NOT

Dracodave
05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
AHHH!!! I've doubled posted....Oh noes no ORG memebership for me et el!!!!!!!!!!

RBA
05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

peterose00
05-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Have you sat in the Sun Deck?

First, they aren't the "Cheap Seats". Ticket prices are in the 18-20 dollar range.

The Sun Deck is named for a very popular area of Crosely Field, and the area in the new park is modeled after that.

In the Sun Deck Area, fans can walk around freely, and hang out under the power stacks. It comes in handy on those 90 degree days because of the cooling mist that sprays you, but doesn't quite get you wet.

I sit there every chance I get, and I'll bet that view from atop the batter's eye is spectacular.

The way I see it, The Sun Deck is a pretty cool name. Hardly meant to deride or chastize.

No, only at REDSZONE do I sit in the Sun Deck...:laugh:

Let me tell you this, those seats (the Sun Deck) are always cheaper -- and guess why, they aren't as good as the field box seats or seats anywhere else in the entire stadium. I can't believe I have to explain that to someone.

Knock yourself out sitting in the sun deck in real life. I'll be sitting in the filed box seats about ten rows up from the batter's box. Everytime, everywhere -- except at REDSZONE...:laugh:

peterose00
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Boss-Hog
05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Let's get this thread back on topic, please.

wheels
05-21-2007, 11:23 PM
No, only at REDSZONE do I sit in the Sun Deck...:laugh:

Let me tell you this, those seats (the Sun Deck) are always cheaper -- and guess why, they aren't as good as the field box seats or seats anywhere else in the entire stadium. I can't believe I have to explain that to someone.

Knock yourself out sitting in the sun deck in real life. I'll be sitting in the filed box seats about ten rows up from the batter's box. Everytime, everywhere -- except at REDSZONE...:laugh:

Case in point.

peterose00
05-21-2007, 11:27 PM
To those in the Sun Deck... you might be interested to know that a few of us in the ORG wanted to be "left behind" (so to speak) on whatever Reds Live! would become to not only post there but to mentor those to get into ORG. Even tho' I was a ORG member from the beginning, I posted more on Reds Live! because I wanted everyone to respond to my post - esp. when I was giving away extra promotions.

Just be grateful that Boss and GIK didn't take to heart my suggestion two years ago when ORG and Reds Live! were split... I told them to trash the place - it was their baby and they wouldn't make everyone happy no matter what they do - why bother with the headaches? [I'm also saying that now, FWTW... :(]

Why do I feel ike Albert Brooks in "Defending Your Life" -- just another "little brain" back here in the Sun Deck.

I bet BossHog uses 53% of his brain up there in The Old Red Guard.

TeamSelig
05-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Can SunDeck members have our own moderators???? Would that be possible?

I don't think its fair to have big brain ORG members moderating our messy posts.

TeamBoone
05-22-2007, 01:15 AM
You know, TeamSelig, I felt a bit sorry for you in the beginning. I'm not crazy about some of the changes either, but.... enough is enough! You're waaaaay overdoing it.

I have NEVER put anyone on my Ignore List... but I'm getting ready to press the button.

TeamSelig
05-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Not that it would effect me at all, but I'll apologize and keep you from having to do it. Sorry, I am just a little angry that my favorite forum ever has been dismantled and basically ruined. As much as I've ranted about not liking the changes, I've held back alot. It just cracks me up how some can become so elitest on here, when in all reality, it is simply a message forum for Reds fans to talk about random occurences throughout the season and seasons end. I know the whole saying --- you don't like it, don't come here anymore. I guess thats what its all coming to.

sonny
05-22-2007, 01:45 AM
I still don't see the big deal. We STILL get to post about the Cincinnati Reds, still get to chat, still get to debate with each other, still get to talk about non-baseball related stuff.

I was not in ORG status before the change and I am not now. No big deal. Now lets play some ball!

Johnny Footstool
05-22-2007, 01:57 AM
Just today, I saw a thread in the Sun Deck that I wanted to join in on. I couldn't. It was an interesting discussion, too.

Heath
05-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Just today, I saw a thread in the Sun Deck that I wanted to join in on. I couldn't. It was an interesting discussion, too.

Then add it towards a new thread at ORG.

Johnny Footstool
05-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Then add it towards a new thread at ORG.

Copy and paste an entire discussion, then don't discuss the topic with the people whose opinions interested me in the first place? That's no answer.

TeamBoone
05-22-2007, 02:40 AM

Me too... it's a shame.

Heath
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Copy and paste an entire discussion, then don't discuss the topic with the people whose opinions interested me in the first place? That's no answer.

No, just start a part of the conversation where you think it's interesting and make an new thread in ORG.

That's all.

RichRed
05-23-2007, 10:54 AM

"Sun Deck, you better take care
If I find you been postin' 'bout how Dunn don't care..."

I'm no lyricist like Natty but I had to take a shot since I love that song.

rotnoid
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I keep coming back to Sundeck Hero to the tune of Jukebox Hero by Foreigner, but Gordon Lightfoot's cool too.

gonelong
05-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Ask not what Redszone can do for you - ask what you can do for Redszone.

GL

Natty Redlocks
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Speak loudly and carry an enormous grudge

Sea Ray
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I echo what VP said... where is that rep button? Now see, this is a well thought out post (I might not agree with everything said but it was worded in a way that stated your case). :beerme:

Good riddens to the Rep system. Every post should not be subject to a popularity contest...

AmarilloRed
06-19-2007, 01:23 AM
You make the best of the circumstances you are in. I have applied for ORG status, but I do not know whether I will be approved. I will make quality posts on Sun Deck if I am not, and I will make positive posts on the Old Red Guard if I am. I have never had ORG status, and am unsure if I ever will, but you do your best in the forum you are in.

redsfanmia
06-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Good riddens to the Rep system. Every post should not be subject to a popularity contest...

But isnt every post collectivley still a popularity contest? The people stuck in the sun deck are still being judged on every post in order to get promoted to the big boy board.

AmarilloRed
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I think the reputation system was flawed and am glad it is gone.I think it is proper that game threads are only on The Old Red Guard, although I never post on game threads. I do wonder if it was a mistake to seperate the two posting forums, and only allow you to post on one. We'll see if the new changes work out. I rather enjoy posting on The Sun Deck.

DTCromer
06-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure which forum I'd rather be in. The Sun Deck seems to have a bunch of 14-year-olds who can barely spell their name and make some of the worst posts I've ever seen.

The ORG has pretty good posters who uses pythagorean theorem and a lot of seemingly useless baseball stats to prove to me Adam Dunn is a good defensive outfielder. It seems the posters in the Sun Deck are younger and don't understand the game as much as the ORG does. But the ORG has posters who are completely shortsighted who are negative about every little thing a person, especially WK, has done.

Overall, I like how you have separated the good from bad. But having to vote on a poster is ludicrous to get into the ORG. The reputation system is still in place and I feel like I have to agree with a lot of "important" people on this board or research those same old meaningless baseball stats for 3 hours before I can be considered a "good" poster.

Personally, I thought common sense would rule but it appears that has gone by the wayside.

Screwball
06-26-2007, 05:29 PM
seemingly useless baseball stats to prove to me Adam Dunn is a good defensive outfielder.

:eek: I wasn't aware those existed.

As for the whole debate, I guess the main problem I have is that once you get to ORG, you can no longer post in the Sun Deck. I mean, I very much understand not letting those in the Sun Deck to post in ORG, and to a lesser extent the Game Thread. But I don't quite get barring posters (who have proven themselves to add quality posts with relevant/ineteresting information) from posting in any topic in the Sun Deck. Basically, I feel as though it should be as it was, where someone with ORG status can post anywhere; however, without first earning that privelege you can only post in designated areas. I really do feel like I'm missing out on some potentially very educational converstaions with intelligent posters because of this, and the same will continue should I ever make it to ORG status (due to the inability to post in the Sun Deck).

Other than that, I really don't see a problem with any of the changes.

Ltlabner
06-26-2007, 05:49 PM
But having to vote on a poster is ludicrous to get into the ORG. The reputation system is still in place and I feel like I have to agree with a lot of "important" people on this board or research those same old meaningless baseball stats for 3 hours before I can be considered a "good" poster.

Your perception is not reality. ORG consists of people from across a wide specturm of experiences and ways of both understanding and enjoying the sport of baseball. More to the point, there's been people voted into ORG who don't always agree with everybody. There's been people voted in who bring a new or different angle to the conversation. There was plenty of discussion focused directly on the idea of avoiding "group think" from developing.

Boss and GIK have graciously allowed us to police what is their board. That is generous in my opinion. They could have just as easily said, "these folks are in, these are out, and there will be no changes ever". Instead they gave members of RZ a role in creating the community we call all spend countless hours enjoying.

nate
06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
But the ORG has posters who are completely shortsighted who are negative about every little thing a person, especially WK, has done.

There's not really a dearth of that in the Sun Deck.

BLEEDS
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM

You're right, just every post(er).

Go suck-up to Fantasy Baseball Stat Geeks who can post 1,000 posts a day and think that makes them "elite". Just means you don't have a job or a life.

I got one feedback since I've been here, and it was to not "disguise" my cursing.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RedEye
06-27-2007, 10:39 PM
You're right, just every post(er).

Go suck-up to Fantasy Baseball Stat Geeks who can post 1,000 posts a day and think that makes them "elite". Just means you don't have a job or a life.

I got one feedback since I've been here, and it was to not "disguise" my cursing.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

And what a four months it has been, eh? ;)

Seriously though, I was also pretty annoyed by the changes. I thought I was a good contributor and I had already made the ORG via the rep points system. I didn't understand why I got what I perceived as a demotion.

I was perhaps right to be a bit shocked, but I was wrong to be annoyed. Boss and GIK run this board in their own spare time out of their own pockets. They graciously allow the rest of us to profit from their hard work without requiring us to donate a red cent. Similar boards like Sons of Sam Horn have become commercialized and require dues for people to even have access. That makes RedsZone and others like it a rare breed. I am not aware of many other free MLB fan boards that have both the organizational rigor and the standards that RedsZone does. We have a special thing going on here, and we should work to help Boss and GIK make it better. Sometimes, that means trying to understand standards that aren't immediately self-evident.

Believe me, if you play by the rules and enjoy yourself here, nothing is stopping you from joining the ORG very soon.

BLEEDS
06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Believe me, if you play by the rules and enjoy yourself here, nothing is stopping you from joining the ORG very soon.

GREAT!!! Then, my life will be complete! I can die a happy man!!

I've been on MANY Boards, including SteelerNation, that are run the EXACT SAME WAY - by a couple dudes in their spare time. Guess what - it looks EXACTLY LIKE THIS SITE, except for a few advertizements. Donation is OPTIONAL, and there's no Freakin' Elitist BS Zone you have to "APPLY" for.

Other than that, I see your point.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RedEye
06-27-2007, 11:40 PM

I've been on MANY Boards, including SteelerNation, that are run the EXACT SAME WAY - by a couple dudes in their spare time. Guess what - it looks EXACTLY LIKE THIS SITE, except for a few advertizements. Donation is OPTIONAL, and there's no Freakin' Elitist BS Zone you have to "APPLY" for.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Thanks for the sarcastic response to my good faith effort at commiseration.

Look, I'm not questioning your membership on other boards. I never assumed you were a novice, although posting on other boards by no means makes you qualified to immediately jump to the ORG. The fact that you just joined in February and have 41 posts suggests that you are relatively new by any measure. It takes awhile to understand how things work, and IMO that is for the best.

In my experience, the quality of posts on RedsZone (or at least on the ORG) tends to be higher than the quality on other sports boards I've been on. That's a product of the vision of Boss, GIK, and others. That's what attracted me to this site initially, and that's what keeps me coming back. As I understand it, they wanted to try something different, to try for a Reds community that could be held to a higher standard of analysis and politeness than your run-of-the-mill sports board.

If that's not something you aspire to, then so be it, but calling it an "Elitest BS Zone" is not constructive for anyone. If you don't like it, feel free to post elsewhere. No one is stopping you.

AmarilloRed
06-28-2007, 01:15 AM
We have a lot of inexperienced posters on The Sun Deck who tend to post from their heart-there is nothing wrong with that, but it sometimes affects their posts. I would assume as long as you are civil to your fellow posters and try to have a good, reasonable discussion of Reds issues, you will join ORG. I will survive if my application is rejected-I will simply continue to post and enjoy the forum I am in.

RedEye
06-28-2007, 01:29 AM
We have a lot of inexperienced posters on The Sun Deck who tend to post from their heart-there is nothing wrong with that, but it sometimes affects their posts. I would assume as long as you are civil to your fellow posters and try to have a good, reasonable discussion of Reds issues, you will join ORG. I will survive if my application is rejected-I will simply continue to post and enjoy the forum I am in.

That's been my experience. I understand that it can hurt to feel like you are on the "outside" of some superficial boundary, but I've also come around to appreciate the philosophy behind the changes.

RedFanAlways1966
06-28-2007, 08:00 AM
"Mirror, mirror on the wall... why did this happen? What? I am looking at the reason?!!?" Imagine that.

PEACE.

Reds Freak
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
No one is required to be here, there are numerous Reds forums out there if one doesn't like the way this forum is ran. Although I don't necessarily fully understand the purpose of the changes, this is the way it is. (Or as WK likes to put it, it is what it is...;)) The great thing about the internet is that if one isn't a fan of the forum, he or she is completely free to create their own site and run it any way they would like. So in the mean time, you might as well try to make quality posts that contribute to the board and enjoy it while you can..

wheels
07-07-2007, 07:58 AM

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Big Steeler fan, eh?

Why am I not surprised by that?

jojo
07-07-2007, 02:14 PM
The ORG has pretty good posters who uses pythagorean theorem and a lot of seemingly useless baseball stats to prove to me Adam Dunn is a good defensive outfielder. It seems the posters in the Sun Deck are younger and don't understand the game as much as the ORG does. But the ORG has posters who are completely shortsighted who are negative about every little thing a person, especially WK, has done.

Yes, but the hot tubs and five star service on the ORG are to die for....

Seriously, I don't think anyone has argued that Dunn is good defensively. Some argue that PBP data indicate Dunn's defense dramatically mitigates his value while the other camp argues that while Dunn is bad defensively, the impact that his poor glove has on his value is dramatically overstated.

Concerning a general comment on the typical ORG member's perspective, i'd say the ORG is a very diverse place that may have some prolific posters but really doesn't have a prevailing viewpoint.

Overall, I like how you have separated the good from bad. But having to vote on a poster is ludicrous to get into the ORG. The reputation system is still in place and I feel like I have to agree with a lot of "important" people on this board or research those same old meaningless baseball stats for 3 hours before I can be considered a "good" poster

IMHO, neither stats nor the eyes tell the whole story and only through reconciling both can the whole truth be revealed in alot of cases. There seems to be alot of room in that equation for the opinions of old schoolers, statheads and just general baseball fans who don't think of themselves as either. It's each member's unique viewpoint and their ability to express it respectfully that is credited as valuable.

This is a content driven environment. While I can't speak for other ORG members, I personally don't evaluate other posters by consdering whether they agree with me or not. I'm drawn more to other posters that have opinions and an ability to explain/justify why they think the way they do while displaying a willingness to debate their beliefs without becoming defensive. I can most likely learn something from just about everyone who posts here at redszone. Besides the fact that debating/discussing baseball is fun (at least for me), I almost always come away being smarter. That's a neat thing. In the end, the criteria I use when voting is simply this: does the person in question consistently display a willingness to participate in/further a discussion while having something to say?

WMR
07-07-2007, 08:42 PM

PEACE

-BLEEDS

:lol:

Wheels, took the words right out of my mouth.

Never would have pegged this guy for a Squealer fan. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(training camp starts in almost two weeks, btw!)

BLEEDS
07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Big Steeler fan, eh?

Grew up in Cincinnati in the 70's. Born wearing Steeler PJ's.

Just because I knew Good Baseball, doesn't mean I had to deal with bad Football in the same city.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

wheels
07-13-2007, 07:16 PM
:lol:

Wheels, took the words right out of my mouth.

Never would have pegged this guy for a Squealer fan. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(training camp starts in almost two weeks, btw!)

Yup, and the Steelers are in a real bad way.

Can't wait.

deltachi8
07-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Big Steeler fan, eh?

So am i by the way...just sayin'