PDA

View Full Version : Are Gamethreads allowed in the Sun Deck?

captainmorgan07
05-21-2007, 03:42 PM
This questions is mostly for the mods but are gamethreads allowed in the sun deck or are we strictly just allowed to read the other game thread or can we have our own to discuss things

klw
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
If they were you could post something like this:

Reds vs. Nationals, 5-21

REDS
Freel, 3b
Hopper, cf
Griffey, rf
Phillips, 2b
Dunn, lf
Gonzalez, ss
Hatteberg, 1b
Ross, c
Arroyo, rhp

NATIONALS
Lopez, 2b
Guzman, ss
Zimmerman, 3b
Young, 1b
Kearns, rf
Schneider, c
Logan, cf
Langerhans, lf
Speigner, rhp

but per the announcement it asks that game threads only be in game threads and if non-ORG wish to participate that they do so through chat.

The Game Threads forum is now a sub-set of The Old Red Guard. Only those with posting access there will have the ability to post within the game threads. However, all members have access to chat in real-time within the site’s FlashChat program. We ask that you do not start game threads in any forum other than the designated area; we have given this considerable thought and that is the decision we have made.

captainmorgan07
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
If ther were you could post something like this:

Reds vs. Nationals, 5-21

REDS
Freel, 3b
Hopper, cf
Griffey, rf
Phillips, 2b
Dunn, lf
Gonzalez, ss
Hatteberg, 1b
Ross, c
Arroyo, rhp

NATIONALS
Lopez, 2b
Guzman, ss
Zimmerman, 3b
Young, 1b
Kearns, rf
Schneider, c
Logan, cf
Langerhans, lf
Speigner, rhp

but per the announcement it asks that game threads only be in game threads and if non-ORG wish to participate that they do so through chat.

that would answer the question sorry didn't read the whole announcement all the way through

GIK
05-21-2007, 03:49 PM
They're not allowed, no. Please use the chat room for in-game discussion. Thanks.

klw
05-21-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm assuming that the reason for the decision is that when two game threads were allowed the one in Reds Live tended to be by far the larger but a mess. With dueling threads the smaller often withered. I will be curious to lurk and see how the new, restricted ones turn out- whether it cures what has been perceived to ail the game threads of late.

captainmorgan07
05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
They're not allowed, no. Please use the chat room for in-game discussion. Thanks.

thank you didn't mean to start any trouble

BuckeyeRed27
05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Is there a particular reason why we couldn't haved a game thread here?

Chat doesn't always work on my computer (I get some weird error message) so I just quit using it.

I don't make a lot of posts in the game thread because I don't see a lot of games given my location but I do like to make some contributions there from time to time.

Bob Winters
05-21-2007, 04:45 PM
You can comment on Rosecrans's blog ... that's usually funny stuff

redram
05-21-2007, 06:27 PM

Chat doesn't always work on my computer (I get some weird error message) so I just quit using it.

I don't make a lot of posts in the game thread because I don't see a lot of games given my location but I do like to make some contributions there from time to time.

I agree. I to do not post much but from time to time enjoyed posting in the Game threads. Since ORG posters cannot post here anyway, it should not take away from the Main Thread. Just saying.......

TC81190
05-21-2007, 07:39 PM

To put it simply, we're not in the Redszone 10.

redsfanmia
05-21-2007, 07:56 PM
We are not worthy.

NatiRedGals
05-21-2007, 08:02 PM
This is boring now..

redsupport
05-21-2007, 08:08 PM
when the team is struggling the censors sharpen their pencil. I guess there is no humor in fielding the most inept organization in the big leagues

thatcoolguy_22
05-21-2007, 10:09 PM
after an exhaustive effort to reduce game threads from reaching over 500 posts a night all "lesser beings" were removed from the chance of posting. However tonight there was still well over 400 posts. Onto what actually did work from the new rules; we lost around 100 members. Good Job guys :thumbup:

cheers mate :bang:

butlerbulldogs
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I am not a huge gamethread guy, but i did some googling and found redsinsider.com tonight and they had a game thread running that anyone could post in regardless of status on the page, so if you miss the game threads that might be an option for ya...goodluck

here is the address: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=262#S=262&F=2079

Dracodave
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
after an exhaustive effort to reduce game threads from reaching over 500 posts a night all "lesser beings" were removed from the chance of posting. However tonight there was still well over 400 posts. Onto what actually did work from the new rules; we lost around 100 members. Good Job guys :thumbup:

cheers mate :bang:

And you're bound to lose more with some of the attitudes we're getting from people over the change.

WMR
05-21-2007, 10:32 PM
As Chris Rock would say, "There's NO SEX IN THE CHAMPAGNE ROOM."

errr, no gamethreads in the sun deck.

peterose00
05-21-2007, 11:35 PM

Game threads are not for "Little Brains" -- GIK uses 48% of his brain up in The Old Red Guard. BossHog uses 53% of his brain. :evil: I've got 9 days in Judgement City to determine if I get to go on or have to stay sitting in the Sun Deck. Tonight I am going over to the Past Lives Pavillion.

TeamSelig
05-22-2007, 12:41 AM
lol no game threads allowed? why not?

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but the chat feature on this board SUCKS... Just throwing that out there.

RedsMan3203
05-22-2007, 12:44 AM
On a side note.... C. Trent Rosecrans blog comments went up nearly 100 posts tonight.... Wonder if the change at RZ had anything to do with that.

Ltlabner
05-22-2007, 09:19 AM
lol no game threads allowed? why not?

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but the chat feature on this board SUCKS... Just throwing that out there.

As a chat semi-regular, I'm currious. What is it about the chat feature that you do not find up to snuff?

WMR
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Well, there's this one guy under the moniker "Ltlabner" who just makes the whole experience really unpleasant. Oh whoops!! ;)

rotnoid
05-22-2007, 09:25 AM
As a chat semi-regular, I'm currious. What is it about the chat feature that you do not find up to snuff?

I was wondering the same thing. Aside from the poor text color choices of some, it's in many ways better than the game thread, IMO. The atmosphere is lighter and it flows better. But that's just me.

BRM
05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Well, there's this one guy under the moniker "Ltlabner" who just makes the whole experience really unpleasant. Oh whoops!! ;)

Yeah, I had to stop visiting chat because of that guy. He's so mouthy. :p:

Ltlabner
05-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Yeah, I had to stop visiting chat because of that guy. He's so mouthy. :p:

I agree totally! Frankly, I can't stand the guy either. And since we are airing our dirty laundry, his breath stinks.

Besides that, he's a stickler for correct spellings. Drives us all nuts with it.

:laugh:

TeamSelig
05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
It lags a little, some people get booted alot, the screen and colors are really odd, no one seems to ever chat about anything, and I've never seen more then 5 people in there

paintmered
05-22-2007, 01:58 PM
It lags a little, some people get booted alot, the screen and colors are really odd, no one seems to ever chat about anything, and I've never seen more then 5 people in there

Maybe there's some room for improvement with the applet. I do know the background colors can be changed. I had to play around with it a bit to find something I liked.

Ltlabner
05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

It is finiky with different browers and will cause regular boot outs. GAC has trouble with it often, I've only had one bad night (and that was when I was in a hotel, so who knows what sort of goofy hardware/software they have).

The fonts are changable, not sure about the screen color (background is blue). Yes, you definatley have to tinker with the fonts to get them to look right.

Depends on the game, the night and time as to how many people are in chat. Last night I ducked in durring the top of the 3rd and there was 1 other person. By the time I had to leave (right before Javy's homer) there were about 12-15 people. Boring game = less chatters and chat action (and we tend to drift off subject). Exciting game = more chatters and more chat action.

I've never found that "no one ever seems to chat about anything". Again, depends on the game. But usually there's lots of comments on the game at hand. Not sure what you are expecting (and maybe I'm biased since I enjoy the chat room).

What sort of chat activity are you looking for besides commentary on the game at hand, and general goofing around about various situations in the game?

Shaggy Sanchez
05-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Depends on the game, the night and time as to how many people are in chat. Last night I ducked in durring the top of the 3rd and there was 1 other person. By the time I had to leave (right before Javy's homer) there were about 12-15 people. Boring game = less chatters and chat action (and we tend to drift off subject). Exciting game = more chatters and more chat action.

I've never found that "no one ever seems to chat about anything". Again, depends on the game. But usually there's lots of comments on the game at hand. Not sure what you are expecting (and maybe I'm biased since I enjoy the chat room).

What sort of chat activity are you looking for besides commentary on the game at hand, and general goofing around about various situations in the game?

I could care less either way as I didn't really post in the game threads that much and I don't go to the chat but something you said really stuck with me. Isn't what you just described the reason that people had issues with the game threads? "Boring game = less chatters and chat action (and we tend to drift off subject), general goofing around about various situations in the game." So if all of the people that did these things in the game threads now come to the chat as it is their only option and get off topic and clutter the chat will it then be off limits to certain people.

TeamSelig
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Good point SS

Ltlabner
05-22-2007, 03:02 PM
So if all of the people that did these things in the game threads now come to the chat as it is their only option and get off topic and clutter the chat will it then be off limits to certain people.

Chat is a much different animal than the game thread. I really can't describe whether it's the format, the people, or that GAC is such a wonderfull human being. But for some reason it's just...different. So IMO it's harder to "clutter" or get too far off topic to the point of distraction.

Of course the nature of chat will change if suddenly 40 people are in there every night for the entire game. Will that be good or bad? Hard to say since that's never really happened before (at least in the year I've been here).

But chat seems to work better with more people, so it's an experiment worth trying out, IMO.

texasdave
05-22-2007, 03:05 PM
I thought the game threads stayed more on point when there was someone doing play-by-play. Just sayin.

Bob Winters
05-22-2007, 05:33 PM
On a side note.... C. Trent Rosecrans blog comments went up nearly 100 posts tonight.... Wonder if the change at RZ had anything to do with that.

In a simple answer, yes. Rosecrans' blog is kind of like the John Stewart to Redszone's Brian Williams.

pedro
05-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I think it would be nice if Reds Live were allowed to have a gamethread.

Dracodave
05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
In the interest of fairness.. I think Sun Deck should have a game thread, and if it gets out of hand, it should be closed. However, if what you guys have said is true and we are "getting better" with our post's then it wont get closed.

LawFive
05-23-2007, 07:27 PM
7:26 PM on a game night, bottom 1st. Chat users: 1 (me, who has since left). Game Thread viewers: 34.

paintmered
05-23-2007, 07:33 PM
7:26 PM on a game night, bottom 1st. Chat users: 1 (me, who has since left). Game Thread viewers: 34.

There's three in there now if you'd like to join us.

Ltlabner
05-23-2007, 07:34 PM

The number of folks in chat always grows as the game wears on.

Dracodave
05-24-2007, 08:44 PM
The number of folks in chat always grows as the game wears on.

On in the case of a lose..dwindles...

captainmorgan07
05-24-2007, 09:14 PM
they complained bout game threads before and they have 9 pages and it's about dead as anything in there no activity and hardly any play by play

KronoRed
05-24-2007, 10:15 PM
they complained bout game threads before and they have 9 pages and it's about dead as anything in there no activity and hardly any play by play

I'm gonna blame the team on this one.

captainmorgan07
05-24-2007, 10:24 PM

that could be it 2

reds44
05-25-2007, 12:19 AM
I'd be in there.

:bang: