PDA

View Full Version : Application for Old Red Guard Access Now Works

Boss-Hog
05-21-2007, 08:18 PM
All,

You can now request to join the Old Red Guard forum directly from your User CP (under Miscellaneous | Group Memberships). Please note that the minimum requirements for application are six months of membership and 200 posts. Additionally, each user can only be voted upon once every three months, so if you are not voted in, you will have to wait another three months so that sufficient time passes before you can apply again. The minimum requirements for an ORG member to nominate you are three months of membership and 100 posts.

Voting runs for 72 hours and you will be contacted if at least 75% of a minimum of 50 total ORG votes approve your application or nomination. If possible, we will do our best to provide users with a reason as to why they did not make the vote (but only if this information is obvious from the discussion thread).

If someone has already nominated you for ORG access, your application will be ignored. All nominations take precedent over applications. Finally, applications are processed on a first come, first served basis, and as of right now, we're not allowing more than five concurrent candidates at a time. If you have any questions, please let me know.

reds44
05-21-2007, 08:20 PM
6 months.

Here's to hoping I get in the first time.

2001MUgrad
05-21-2007, 08:21 PM
The Post Quick Reply works too.

Technology. WOW!!

Boss-Hog
05-21-2007, 09:51 PM
I went through and processed several people who applied starting with the earliest. Voting lasts for 72 hours, so after these are done, I'll post the next group of users in the appropriate forum.

reds44
05-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I went through and processed several people who applied starting with the earliest. Voting lasts for 72 hours, so after these are done, I'll post the next group of users in the appropriate forum.
Where did you post these? Are those who applied able to see it?

Boss-Hog
05-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Where did you post these? Are those who applied able to see it?
No, this is in a separate forum.

WVPacman
05-21-2007, 11:33 PM
All,

You can now request to join the Old Red Guard forum directly from your User CP (under Miscellaneous | Group Memberships). Please note that the minimum requirements for application are six months of membership and 200 posts. Additionally, each use can only be voted upon once every six months, so if you are not voted in, you will have to wait another six months so that sufficient time passes before you can apply again. The minimum requirements for an ORG member to nominate you are three months of membership and 100 posts.

If someone has already nominated you for ORG access, your application will be ignored. Voting runs for 72 hours and you will be contacted only if at least 75% of a minimum of 50 total ORG votes approve your application or nomination. Finally, applications and nominations are on a first come, first served basis, and as of right now, we're not allowing more than five concurrent candidates at a time. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Is The Application membership free????

Boss-Hog
05-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Is The Application membership free????
Yes

RedEye
05-23-2007, 12:38 AM
When the voting process is over, will we be able to see how we did? If we don't get in, will we be able to get feedback as too why people voted against us?

WVPacman
05-23-2007, 12:46 AM
When the voting process is over, will we be able to see how we did? If we don't get in, will we be able to get feedback as too why people voted against us?

So they are voting on everybody at the sametime or just the ones that got nomanated??

RedEye
05-23-2007, 12:54 AM
So they are voting on everybody at the sametime or just the ones that got nomanated??

Not sure. I thought I read somewhere that they could vote on 5 members at a time... but I might be wrong. I applied yesterday, but have not been notified as to whether I am currently undergoing "upgrade review" for the ORG. It's kind of nerve wracking... as an academic, I never expected to have to go through a tenure process on my internet baseball forum! :eek:

Still, I applaud the change. It's a bold revision, but one that might pay big dividends for the site quality in the future. Although I didn't join the site in time to benefit from the early years of posting after the Griffey trade, I understand why older members may have been discouraged by the upswell of chaos and trash talking in both the ORG and RL.

My only frustration is that as an unwitting product of the "new" (more snarky and confrontational than desired) RedsZone circa 2006, I may have stepped on some toes that I didn't intend to... oh well, I suppose there's always the chance to reapply after six months if I don't get in right away.

WVPacman
05-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Yeah I applied yesterday also and I hav'nt heard nothing either. This makes my second time going threw this so if I make it then I make it and if I don't then I don't.

I made it to the big leagues once!!!:laugh:

Razor Shines
05-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Not sure. I thought I read somewhere that they could vote on 5 members at a time... but I might be wrong. I applied yesterday, but have not been notified as to whether I am currently undergoing "upgrade review" for the ORG. It's kind of nerve wracking... as an academic, I never expected to have to go through a tenure process on my internet baseball forum! :eek:

Still, I applaud the change. It's a bold revision, but one that might pay big dividends for the site quality in the future. Although I didn't join the site in time to benefit from the early years of posting after the Griffey trade, I understand why older members may have been discouraged by the upswell of chaos and trash talking in both the ORG and RL.

My only frustration is that as an unwitting product of the "new" (more snarky and confrontational than desired) RedsZone circa 2006, I may have stepped on some toes that I didn't intend to... oh well, I suppose there's always the chance to reapply after six months if I don't get in right away.

It was posted somewhere that we won't know anything unless we are voted into the ORG. I do know that they are only voting on 5 at a time and I think those 5 are up for 72 hours. So since there are probably a lot of people who have applied it could be a while before some of us are even voted on. I mean if I was the let's say 20th person to apply it would be 9 days before I was even up for vote. And I'd have to guess that there are far more than 20 that have applied already. I have no actual info on this stuff, it's just the way I understand it and how I've tried to figure it out for myself. I could be way off.

WVPacman
05-23-2007, 01:10 AM
It was posted somewhere that we won't know anything unless we are voted into the ORG. I do know that they are only voting on 5 at a time and I think those 5 are up for 72 hours. So since there are probably a lot of people who have applied it could be a while before some of us are even voted on. I mean if I was the let's say 20th person to apply it would be 9 days before I was even up for vote. And I'd have to guess that there are far more than 20 that have applied already. I have no actual info on this stuff, it's just the way I understand it and how I've tried to figure it out for myself. I could be way off.

Yep Razor,I say you are right!!;)

HumnHilghtFreel
05-23-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm assuming that if you are voted in, you'll then be able to see the forum where the polling is conducted and thus be able to see how you fared.

paintmered
05-23-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm assuming that if you are voted in, you'll then be able to see the forum where the polling is conducted and thus be able to see how you fared.

Nope. The threads are soft deleted upon the expiration of the poll.

Boss-Hog
05-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Additionally, based on member feedback, we've modified it a bit so that if a member is voted on and does not get in, an admin or moderator will contact him or her shortly afterwards to provide a brief summary of the reason(s) and what the user can do to improve his or her chances in the future.

RedEye
05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Additionally, based on member feedback, we've modified it a bit so that if a member is voted on and does not get in, an admin or moderator will contact him or her shortly afterwards to provide a brief summary of the reason(s) and what the user can do to improve his or her chances in the future.

That's a fantastic idea. It seems only fair that if you are being negatively judged by others, you should at least be able to know what you can do to improve your work.

Natty Redlocks
05-23-2007, 07:10 AM
That's a fantastic idea. It seems only fair that if you are being negatively judged by others, you should at least be able to know what you can do to improve your work.

I don't know that it's "fair" to expect the site administrators to do as much work as they already do, let alone even more, to get people info that is readily available if you look for it.

For example, I can read a couple threads in ORG and know exactly why I didn't make the cut. It's for serious, intelligent baseball discussion and I'm more of a clown. Anyone who wants in just needs to read and learn from the ORG and be more like them; it's pretty simple.

Only thing I'm worried about now is that all the bellyaching will convince them to just shut down the Sun Deck completely and enjoy their forum the way they like it in peace.

Boss-Hog
05-23-2007, 07:16 AM
For example, I can read a couple threads in ORG and know exactly why I didn't make the cut. It's for serious, intelligent baseball discussion and I'm more of a clown. Anyone who wants in just needs to read and learn from the ORG and be more like them; it's pretty simple.

It's not really accurate to say ORG is for serious discussion only and any water cooler talk is prohibited. If everyone thought and posted exactly alike, it would be a very boring forum.

Redsland
05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
This is a good summary of the state of things at the moment.

Boss-Hog
05-23-2007, 02:18 PM
As Redsland said, that's a very good summation of where we're at as far as nominations and applications.

Natty Redlocks
05-23-2007, 02:25 PM
It's not really accurate to say ORG is for serious discussion only and any water cooler talk is prohibited. If everyone thought and posted exactly alike, it would be a very boring forum.

Okay. Sorry. Still, it's not like you guys are secretive about what you're looking for: thoughtful, interesting posts, absence of unpleasantness, sense of community. And now you've made it very clear which posters should be emulated and which shouldn't; I can't imagine anyone thinking personal feedback for each wannabe is reasonable to expect.

Joseph
05-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Okay. Sorry. Still, it's not like you guys are secretive about what you're looking for: thoughtful, interesting posts, absence of unpleasantness, sense of community. And now you've made it very clear which posters should be emulated and which shouldn't; I can't imagine anyone thinking personal feedback for each wannabe is reasonable to expect.

The reason is primarily because many who apply will think they meet the criteria, else they would not bother applying, so if they are declined it would be welcome to tell them what the reason was.

RedEye
05-23-2007, 03:20 PM
My apologies if this is self-evident from some other part of the site I haven't been able to find, but how many members are now in the ORG? That is, how many posters were excised in the recent paradigm shift and how many still remain in the select group? Just curious...

Redsland
05-23-2007, 03:31 PM
ORG currently has 240 members, according to GIK. Last week the number was closer to 450.

RedEye
05-23-2007, 05:07 PM
ORG currently has 240 members, according to GIK. Last week the number was closer to 450.

Thanks, Redsland.

So that means there are roughly 200 of us who got demoted in the turnover to the new system. The reason I was wondering is that I'm assuming a good number of those 200 were either nominated or applied for reinstatement quite quickly afterwards... which means it's going to be quite awhile before my case is even voted on.

*Le Sigh*

I guess I'll just go back to the Sun Deck. Gotta wear shades for that! :cool:

Red Leader
05-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Redsland.

So that means there are roughly 200 of us who got demoted in the turnover to the new system. The reason I was wondering is that I'm assuming a good number of those 200 were either nominated or applied for reinstatement quite quickly afterwards... which means it's going to be quite awhile before my case is even voted on.

*Le Sigh*

Hang in there, man. I'll be reading your posts in the SunDeck for the time being.

Ron Madden
05-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Redsland.

*Le Sigh*

I kinda doubt 200 members were demoted from ORG. Could it be that many of that 200 are no longer active members?

Boss-Hog
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Okay. Sorry. Still, it's not like you guys are secretive about what you're looking for: thoughtful, interesting posts, absence of unpleasantness, sense of community.

That sums it up nicely. :)

Boss-Hog
05-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I kinda doubt 200 members were demoted from ORG. Could it be that many of that 200 are no longer active members?
Possibly, but the numbers Redsland presented are correct. I couldn't tell you how many of those roughly ~450 members were active at the time.

BaseballBum
05-23-2007, 11:26 PM
The only thing I can think of that is more pathetic than making thousands of posts on a message board is applying for the “privilege” to make thousands of posts on a message board.

zombie-a-go-go
05-24-2007, 07:53 AM
The only thing I can think of that is more pathetic than making thousands of posts on a message board is applying for the “privilege” to make thousands of posts on a message board.

If that's pathetic, what do you call a complaint about having to apply for the privilege? :laugh:

AmarilloRed
06-13-2007, 01:04 AM
How can you tell how long you have been a member, I think I joined in December 2006, so I am not sure if I have been here 6 months. In any case, I have only 190 posts.

Boss-Hog
06-13-2007, 06:40 AM
How can you tell how long you have been a member, I think I joined in December 2006, so I am not sure if I have been here 6 months. In any case, I have only 190 posts.
You joined 12/7/2006.

RedsManRick
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM

The only thing I can think of that is more pathetic than applying for the “privilege” to make thousands of posts on a message board is complaining about having to apply for the "privledge" to make thousands of posts on a message board.

Good communities of all kinds require management to be sustained and thrive. Nobody is forced to participate, but everybody is required to follow the rules should they choose to join up.

AmarilloRed
06-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, I have made my application to be considered for inclusion to the Old Red Guard. I may not make it this time, since I made some mistakes when I was first posting. I am not one who would join to post on game threads, but to have reasonable discussions about players. I like The Sun Deck, but emotion seems to run high on it. In any case, I hope my application received favorably at some time in the future.

Cicero
06-26-2007, 06:16 PM
I applied but then realized I do not have the required number of posts yet. Is there any way to unapply? I have been with the site for years but am more of a reader than a talker. You can learn a lot by being quiet.