PDA

View Full Version : Junior..will history remember him as a Red?

FlyingPig
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
He did a lot of great things as a Mariner..

But he hit home run number 500 as a Red, will probably pass 600 as a Red and there's a chance he will end his career as a Red.

When Griffey becomes part of baseball's history, his Hall of Fame portraits will probably have him wearing a Seattle Mariner's cap..

If he somehow manages to see some playoff years with Cincinnati before he calls it quits...(if the planets line up and if he stays a Red)..do you think his cap might bear the C of his hometown instead of the S of his young years?

Razor Shines
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
He did a lot of great things as a Mariner..

But he hit home run number 500 as a Red, will probably pass 600 as a Red and there's a chance he will end his career as a Red.

When Griffey becomes part of baseball's history, his Hall of Fame portraits will probably have him wearing a Seattle Mariner's cap..

If he somehow manages to see some playoff years with Cincinnati before he calls it quits...(if the planets line up and if he stays a Red)..do you think his cap might bear the C of his hometown instead of the S of his young years?

I think right now he'd be wearing a M's cap. But if somehow the Reds get in the playoffs and he plays well in the next couple of years then perhaps he might wear a Reds cap in the HOF.

I really don't care that much which hat he wears, he'll be one of my favorite players either way.

Ludwig Reds Fan
05-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking Mariners as well.

Look what he did there, and look what he has done here.

His performance as a Red wouldn't get him on The Simpsons, I'll put it that way.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I think his years in Cinci have tarnished his legacy a little bit. For the average baseball fan, they'll look back on his years here and think of one thing: a declining player that couldn't stay healthy.

I think most likely he'll go into the Hall as a Mariner, but you never know.

JLB5
05-22-2007, 06:11 PM
I think his years in Cinci have tarnished his legacy a little bit. For the average baseball fan, they'll look back on his years here and think of one thing: a declining player that couldn't stay healthy.

I think most likely he'll go into the Hall as a Mariner, but you never know.

I would have pegged Winfield as a Yankee. The HOF considers the player's wishes but makes the final call. I think Gary Carter would have picked the Mets. So, unless Jr. puts up some amazing numbers with the Reds over the next 5 years, it will be an M's hat.

sonny
05-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I would think MLB would want fans to remember Griffey as the Kid who was always smiling after robbing homeruns and hitting them at a 50 a year clip

But that just me, I could be wrong...

UC_Ken
05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Junior will be a Mariner. The time spent on each team will be close but the things accomplished in Seattle will dwarf whatever he does in Cincinnati.

The only thing that could change this would be if Junior were to be a main component of a Reds World Championship team.

WVPacman
05-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I really hope he is remembered more when he played at Seatle b/c he was truly the best to play the game.Todays era thow ALWAYS wants to look at the bad things that a player has done.It seems like they love nothing more than to talk about how bad that player is o0r has been in the past seven years... Even thow he was once the best to ever play the game.

So yes I think he will be remembered as a red which is sad b/c Griffey deserves better.

Dracodave
05-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Hats are meaningless, what is meaningfull is that this team helps keep him healthy to add to a HOF career. Thats all I have to say. Either a M's hat or the beloved C, as long as Jr is in the HOF. I care not what hat.

bucksfan2
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
I think he may be closer to wearing a reds cap than many believe. He will hit all his important hr's as a red. #400, 500, and 600 probably will be hit as a red. I am sure he enjoys his time here more than people think as well. There was a reason he wanted out of Seattle and I would think that if jr had a chance he would want to go in as a red. I also think because of the type of person Jr. is the HOF would be more than likely to do what Jr. wishes. This isn't like Wade Boggs saying he hates Boston and doesn't want to go in the hall wearing a Red Sox hat.

Degenerate39
05-22-2007, 08:23 PM
He'll be remembered as a Mariner. I hope he goes to Cooperstown wearing a Reds cap though.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I am on the wagon of thinking that it depends on what he does in the coming years here, if there are more years here in store for us. If he can stay healthy and hit #600 here, he MIGHT go in as a Red. But if we do win a Championship here with him, he will DEFINATELY go in as a Redleg!

Ahhhorsepoo
05-23-2007, 12:04 AM
He got his 10 Gold Gloves in Seattle.. nuff said..

jimbo
05-23-2007, 12:34 AM
He got his 10 Gold Gloves in Seattle.. nuff said..

Agreed. I don't think there is any chance whatsoever Griffey goes into the Hall wearing a Reds hat, short of maybe winning a World Series with the Reds. And that doesn't look very likely at the time.

fearofpopvol1
05-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Yeah, the HOF decides ultimately. If Grif finishes in Cincy and does so strongly, it may make a difference because the tenure would then be fairly even with Seattle. His accomplishments though? No question, Seattle was where he made his mark.

GoGoWhiteSox
05-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I don't think there is any chance whatsoever Griffey goes into the Hall wearing a Reds hat, short of maybe winning a World Series with the Reds. And that doesn't look very likely at the time.
I agree completely. I want to remember the young Griffey, not the old one. This one isn't even close.

Now if you want a tough call, what team does his former teammate Randy Johnson go in with, Arizona or Seattle?:confused:

ABEsolutely
05-23-2007, 07:19 AM
What's the chances his hat will be backward? I'm hoping for backward so I can just imagine a C is on the other side..

redlegs2370
05-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Let me ask this question. Will Griffey be inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame and or have is number retired? If the answer is no, then it is obvious he would wear a M's cap in Cooperstown. If your numbers or accomplishments aren't good enough to be in your own teams HOF then why would you be represented with that club in Baseball Hall of Fame.

If yes then I can see where you could debate it.