PDA

View Full Version : Quick observation

HumnHilghtFreel
05-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the amount of posting activity seems to be way down since the change. At least in the SunDeck area, I haven't paid much attention to ORG other than browsing a few threads.

Are that many people upset over it? Is it just because they've lost hope in the team? :dunno:

Dracodave
05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Are that many people upset over it? Is it just because they've lost hope in the team? :dunno:

I have to believe its alittle bit of both. I also have to say people aren't upset over the change, mainly over how some people are stating the reason's for it. They turned it pretty personal, like it was a small hand-full of people when it was problems and events over a span of time, some older members and alot of newer members.

Oh well eh?

Float on.

jimbo
05-24-2007, 10:39 PM
The Sun Deck has deteriorated quite a bit since the change. The number that is viewing the forum at any one time has been pretty low. Just not the forum it was.

Dracodave
05-24-2007, 11:21 PM
The Sun Deck has deteriorated quite a bit since the change. The number that is viewing the forum at any one time has been pretty low. Just not the forum it was.

Maybe they've scared off the rif-raf? :laugh: Oh wait I'm still here!

And the quality of posting has gotten worse with the constant "Dunn sucks" post's again. This is getting old on an all new level.

RFS62
05-24-2007, 11:45 PM
If it's not the forum it once was, it seems to me to be a real opportunity to stand out. If a poster got lost in the crowd before, now he/she should be able to be noticed much more easily.

That's one of the main reasons for the split.

remdog
05-24-2007, 11:51 PM
If it's not the forum it once was, it seems to me to be a real opportunity to stand out. If a poster got lost in the crowd before, now he/she should be able to be noticed much more easily.

That's one of the main reasons for the split.

Very few like talking to the wall. ;)

Rem

WVPacman
05-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I know I happened to glance on the number of posters on the two reds boards last night.They were 44 posters on ORG and only 9 on sun deck!!! Right now theres 57 on ORG and only 16 on SD,so yes it looks like alot as left.Me,Dave,Jimbo,and HumnHilghtFreel will hold down the fort thow;)

Caveat Emperor
05-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Me,Dave,Jimbo,and HumnHilghtFreel will hold down the fort thow;)

Make it rain, Pac. ;)

savafan
05-25-2007, 02:31 AM

For the record, it's been a trend for quite a while now, even before the changes, that there were usually 2 to 3 times as many people viewing ORG than were viewing RedsLive.

kyred14
05-25-2007, 02:37 AM
The reason there is always more viewing ORG is the guests. Like right now there are 23 viewing ORG, 3 members and 20 guests. While there are only 4 viewing SD, they are all members. I don't post much b/c there's nothing to say. We suck.

rotnoid
05-25-2007, 06:34 AM
For the record, it's been a trend for quite a while now, even before the changes, that there were usually 2 to 3 times as many people viewing ORG than were viewing RedsLive.

I've been noticing that too, but the disparity has gotten much wider since the change (though I don't have stats to back that up). I wonder, and correct me if I'm wrong) if it has something to do with ORG members not being able to post in the SD. Why read if you can't respond? Don't get me wrong, I completely understand Boss and GIK's wish/belief that the ORG is Redszone. It makes perfect sense to me, but I think if this trend continues we're not likely to see many nominations once the initial surge goes away.

I'll also echo the sentiments of others that the quality on the SD has taken a downward turn lately, but that could be because it's just so much more easy to see the bad without all the good. I think a lot of good posters that didn't have ORG access before are staying away until they can cool off (though I don't completely understand why they're so angry in the first place). I'm going to stick it out and see what happens. If nothing else, I'll have a giggle sorting through the pile of you suck, he sucks, we all suck posts.

macro
05-25-2007, 08:07 AM
In a sense, the SD is a "new" Reds message board. Unfortunately, entering the third month of a season isn't the optimal time to start up a baseball board, especially when the team that is the subject of said board is performing like the Reds. Unless the team picks it up a few notches, the SD may remain relatively quiet for the next few months, but you can bet that things will get very lively around the first Monday in April 2008. And hey, quiet isn't always bad. Some of my favorite conversations on this board have taken place in years past in the middle of the winter, when you could find parking at the door here about any day of the week.

dfs
05-25-2007, 10:24 AM
I'll also echo the sentiments of others that the quality on the SD has taken a downward turn lately, but that could be because it's just so much more easy to see the bad without all the good. I think a lot of good posters that didn't have ORG access before are staying away until they can cool off

That may be, but the sundeck has also lost several ORG members who primarily posted in RL. That's by design.

Rightly or wrongly (and from the mods pov it's wrongly) I don't spend near the time reading the sundeck that I did in RL, simply because I'm not allowed to contribute there.

TeamBoone
05-25-2007, 11:06 AM
That may be, but the sundeck has also lost several ORG members who primarily posted in RL. That's by design.

Rightly or wrongly (and from the mods pov it's wrongly) I don't spend near the time reading the sundeck that I did in RL, simply because I'm not allowed to contribute there.

This is a huge point. I fall into the same category, except that I still read SD every time I sign into RZ, but as I'm no longer able to post, I'm not in there as long.

I think there are a whole lot of good posters in SD and I find myself ready to do a "quick reply" only to have my memory jogged that I can't. Creature of habit, much like reaching for the stick shift and clutch after switching to an automatic transmission when buying a new car.

KittyDuran
05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
This is a huge point. I fall into the same category, except that I still read SD every time I sign into RZ, but as I'm no longer able to post, I'm not in there as long.

I think there are a whole lot of good posters in SD and I find myself ready to do a "quick reply" only to have my memory jogged that I can't. Creature of habit, much like reaching for the stick shift and clutch after switching to an automatic transmission when buying a new car.***Sigh*** same here...:(

Yachtzee
05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
***Sigh*** same here...:(

Me too.

remdog
05-25-2007, 12:04 PM

My situation also although, since this realignment is only a few days old, that could change. We'll see.

Rem

Natty Redlocks
05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Don't worry; things'll pick up when I post my rock opera about Junior.

That was a joke, I swear.

pedro
05-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Don't worry; things'll pick up when I post my rock opera about Junior.

That was a joke, I swear.

Is it going to be called ''Torn Quad-raphenia'' ?

Danny Serafini
05-25-2007, 12:46 PM
You scared me, I read that quickly and thought you were going to post a Hip-Hopera about him. :eek:

TeamCasey
05-25-2007, 12:52 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Natty Redlocks
05-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Is it going to be called ''Torn Quad-raphenia'' ?:notworthy

Yachtzee
05-25-2007, 01:29 PM

He could borrow from "Tommy" as well...

"...with a bad quad and hamstring, he still plays a mean baseball...
He was a Baseball Wizard, he could have been 'The King.'
He was a Baseball Wizard with such an awesome swing."

TeamCasey
05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
It'll be in my head all day now.

pedro
05-25-2007, 01:34 PM
My hamstrings's gonna be cut slim and checked
by doctor going by the name Kremcheck
I drive a big ole Escalade with my hair cut neat
I wrap my legs up tight in the wind and sleet.

westofyou
05-25-2007, 01:39 PM
You were under the impression
That when you were walking forward
You'd end up further onward
But things ain't quite that simple.

Caveat Emperor
05-25-2007, 03:08 PM
My hamstrings's gonna be cut slim and checked
by doctor going by the name Kremcheck
I drive a big ole Escalade with my hair cut neat
I wrap my legs up tight in the wind and sleet.

The last name's Griffey, the call me the kid
Try to buy this talent on ebay and I'll top your bid
I used to play center but they switched me to right
now I missplay fly balls every day and night
But OBP's down with me and sweet swings, I got one
I'm a killer at the plate and my bat is my shotgun

I was told I'd be the best since before I could spell
But the only two letters that I needed were the D and L
Though I make phat bank and keep the balance meticulous
Everyone says my contract is borderline ridiculous
So I let the haters hate and the talk shows go talk
Just don't get on my nerves or I'll toss you my jock

WVPacman
05-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Make it rain, Pac. ;)

I will until I get voted into the big leagues once again.Im close I just know it!!!
:)

coachw513
05-27-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't post much b/c there's nothing to say. We suck.

For me personally the changes to the site have come at the worst possible time...my job has entered a 6 week hi-intensity phase which limits my ability to post and interact, so I fear a "lack of daily posting" to be a deterrent as others vote on me if I apply (so I've chosen to wait, don't know if that's a good choice or not)...

Next, the team is simply awful and what exactly can I say that will change that???...I've made my opinion well-known that I try to avoid particularly vitriolic threads and topics due to my desire for rooting for the Reds to be a positive release in my life...not a lot of positives going on right now (though I am positive that right now the Reds really are bad! :rolleyes:)

And saying this to offend no one (but I'm sure I'll be unable to do so) but the majority of threads I enjoyed participating in were ORG threads which seemingly offered great statistical/strategical debate (often that I disagreed with but participation in was interesting)...and there's a heck of a big difference between "playing in the game" and simply "buying tickets"....

Every day of the year since I became internet-saavy in the 90's I follow the Reds from my peninsular hideout in Florida by clicking on the Enquirer, Post and DDN....once I found RZ a year ago it's the 4th place I go on a daily basis and that will never change...

But this has been a lousy week with the changes on the site and maybe the worst homestand in the history of the franchise...Iwonder what the RZ would've been like during the '82 season??? :eek:

redsfaninbsg
05-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I rarely post, however I love redszone. I donated money to the site a long time ago back when I was in high school actually. I posted mainly in the ORG, my reputation (whenever that started) stayed at 200. I never posted enough to cause problems, just threw my .02 in whenever I had something to say. Now, after donating money I'm not even allowed to post anymore and there are very few people in the Sun Deck to talk to and if somebody from the ORG feels like responding they cant. So, whats the point? I'll still use this site for information and post occassionaly but I wont be donating any more money I can tell you that.

OldRightHander
05-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I have found myself guilty of not reading the SD as much either. I still go in there every day because there are some quality posters there who have some good things to say, but I'm also one of those who doesn't spend as much time in there as I did in RL due to not being able to reply. Anyway, I will still make a point of getting in there on a daily basis just to see if any of the folks there catch my eye enough for me to lobby for ORG inclusion.

jimbo
05-27-2007, 07:10 PM
I left cincinnati.com to get away from the kind of forum that the Sun Deck now is. I don't want to sound like a complainer, but it's just not much fun to have to wade through all of the crap to find the small handful of good posters still left. Just extremely disappointing, that's all. Sorry for the rant.

Redsland
05-27-2007, 08:30 PM
I have found myself guilty of not reading the SD as much either. I still go in there every day because there are some quality posters there who have some good things to say, but I'm also one of those who doesn't spend as much time in there as I did in RL due to not being able to reply. Anyway, I will still make a point of getting in there on a daily basis just to see if any of the folks there catch my eye enough for me to lobby for ORG inclusion.
Same here. I visit 2-3 times per day to see what's being said and by whom.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I've noticed now that I'm posting less, but reading about the same amount.

I think it's because I'm more of a reactive poster than a creative poster. I don't usually start threads myself, but like to throw in my 2 cents when a new thread pops up. And since there have been fewer people posting new material, I've been less active in turn.

WVPacman
05-28-2007, 12:49 AM
I left cincinnati.com to get away from the kind of forum that the Sun Deck now is. I don't want to sound like a complainer, but it's just not much fun to have to wade through all of the crap to find the small handful of good posters still left. Just extremely disappointing, that's all. Sorry for the rant.

Man,I thought I was making good quality posts to.
:laugh:

WVPacman
05-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Jimbo,I agree with what your saying about the board.Posters like me and you its harder for us to start a really good conversation in some of the threads.Theres not many that posts there anyways and you and I have to do it the hard way to show the ORG posters that we really are good quality posters that write good quality post's.

TeamBoone
05-28-2007, 02:01 PM
I still find lots of good discussion on SD, trouble is, I keep trying to hit that darn "Quick Reply" button! I think there's still a bunch of quality posters there and new one coming on all the time.

05-28-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm guilty of not reading SD much, but i don't read ORG too much either. Most of my Redszone time anymore is reading about Redszone in these threds.:cry:

TheWalls
05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Simply put, the biggest thing missing from the Sun Deck is the ORG posters who used to flavor the soup. Doesn't there have to be a place where both ORG members and non-members can both post?

I understand the desire for a controlled space for known quality posters, but what is the ORG prohibition on SD posting keeping out? or is that keeping in?

Be careful that the fence you build to keep something out doesn't become a cage holding you in...

paintmered
05-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Simply put, the biggest thing missing from the Sun Deck is the ORG posters who used to flavor the soup. Doesn't there have to be a place where both ORG members and non-members can both post?

I understand the desire for a controlled space for known quality posters, but what is the ORG prohibition on SD posting keeping out? or is that keeping in?

Be careful that the fence you build to keep something out doesn't become a cage holding you in...

I'd say this question has been asked at least 30 times and answered at least 40 already.

texasdave
05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd say this question has been asked at least 30 times and answered at least 40 already.

I don't understand. So you want us to ask it 10 more times to even things up? :p:

paintmered
05-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't understand. So you want us to ask it 10 more times to even things up? :p:

:runaway::runaway::runaway:

:laugh:

RFS62
05-29-2007, 04:21 PM

That's a question about a question. I believe it counts as two.

TheWalls
05-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Hint: It keeps being asked because we don't like/don't understand the answer.

dfs
05-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Hint: It keeps being asked because we don't like/don't understand the answer.

There were ORG posters that were so aggressive in posting in RL that new posters felt uncomfortable posting there and didn't post at all.

The mods felt that by consolodating ORG posters to a single forum, it would make that the "destination" or focus forum for the site.

Which part of the answer are you having trouble with?

I can't really respond to the second part of the answer. That's for the folks doing the work to decide.

Ltlabner
05-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I have continued to read SD about the same level as since the change (all of what, 2 weeks ago or something).

Oddly enough, I have not responded as much on ORG because now that a lot of the noise is removed. The quality of a post stands out in glaring contrast more now that when it previously was burried amoung loads of "Dunn sux" and "lol :D " type posts. Since I've been swamped at work latley, I generally want to put more thought into my responses so they offer something to the conversation. I've been chatty today, but over the past week or so I've been much more focused on making quality posts.

Seems to me, that is (partly) the exact intent of the changes. So from a personal level, I'd say, so far so good.

jimbo
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I have continued to read SD about the same level as since the change (all of what, 2 weeks ago or something).

Oddly enough, I have not responded as much on ORG because now that a lot of the noise is removed. The quality of a post stands out in glaring contrast more now that when it previously was burried amoung loads of "Dunn sux" and "lol :D " type posts. Since I've been swamped at work latley, I generally want to put more thought into my responses so they offer something to the conversation. I've been chatty today, but over the past week or so I've been much more focused on making quality posts.

Seems to me, that is (partly) the exact intent of the changes. So from a personal level, I'd say, so far so good.

I'm sure it looks that way if you are on the inside looking out, but I feel there are a good handful of posters who used to contribute in a positive and high quality manner who are now buried amongst those "Dunn sux" and "lol" type posts, that you mention, in the Sun Deck.

Red Leader
05-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm sure it looks that way if you are on the inside looking out, but I feel there are a good handful of posters who used to contribute in a positive and high quality manner who are now buried amongst those "Dunn sux" and "lol" type posts, that you mention, in the Sun Deck.

I'm sure it appears that way to you on the outside looking in, but let me assure you if you continue making quality posts and contributing to the site in general, it will be noticed.

I read SunDeck threads more than I ever did RedsLive posts.

Ltlabner
05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm sure it appears that way to you on the outside looking in, but let me assure you if you continue making quality posts and contributing to the site in general, it will be noticed.

I read SunDeck threads more than I ever did RedsLive posts.

Yep, same here.

Frankly, after reading SD posts daily for the past couple of weeks, quality posts and posters stand out that much more clearly from the "dunn sux" types.

Handofdeath
05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
I just find it odd that previous ORG members who had rep points out the wazoo now aren't allowed to post. What I find even more odd is that a certain Redszone member is a member of ORG now after having been banned for a considerable time. This does smack of elitism big time. But it's not my site. Run it the way you see fit.

Raisor
05-31-2007, 04:35 PM
I This does smack of elitism big time. .

And?

I heart the elite.

Except Puffy.

OldRightHander
06-02-2007, 02:38 PM
And?

I heart the elite.

Except Puffy.

But we still tolerate him because he's good for a laugh every now and then.

Gallen5862
06-02-2007, 10:47 PM
I still read the Sundeck. There are some good posters and posts there. You would be surprized how much Org members read the Sundeck looking for Prospects to add to the Org.

AmarilloRed
07-13-2007, 01:36 AM
We on the Sun Deck are all looking to be the next D.T. Cromer.:laugh:

Highlifeman21
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I still read the Sundeck. There are some good posters and posts there. You would be surprized how much Org members read the Sundeck looking for Prospects to add to the Org.

There don't seem to be many posters applying to enter the ORG, so we're stuck having to troll the SunDeck to continue to add to the quality of the ORG.

Something seems inherently wrong with that logic.

rotnoid
07-13-2007, 11:25 AM
There don't seem to be many posters applying to enter the ORG, so we're stuck having to troll the SunDeck to continue to add to the quality of the ORG.

Something seems inherently wrong with that logic.

I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't applied simply because I've not been registered for 6 months this go 'round. Get ready to vote come September.

AmarilloRed
07-14-2007, 02:23 AM

We also read The Old Red Guard looking for good ideas to start threads on. We come up with most of the ideas ourselves, but we are willing to copy good threads.:thumbup: