PDA

View Full Version : Burton and Salmon

WVPacman
05-26-2007, 11:49 PM
These two young guys have the patential to be outstanding setup guys or closers for us.For them to reach their goals thow, both have to find another pitch that they can throw to keep the batters off balance at the plate.The last two games both have gotten hammered giving up homeruns b/c 90% of their pitchs are fastballs and the batters know that and are jumping out of their shoes swinging so hard.

Im telling you all they need is another pitch and our setup guy and closers will be set for along time.Major League teams needs hard throwers in their bullpen compete in the bigs.Now I know we are'nt competing for anything as of now BUT I feel these two youngsters could help both our bullpen and the reds team.I feel these two pitchers could help us get back on the right track in the future and would greatly help our bullpen and reds team for the future.

Dracodave
05-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Salmon has a very good splitter, Burton has that slider/cutter that tops out at 93 with EXCELLENT movement.

Why aren't they using it? Ross has a habit lately of calling fastball after fastball, as if he's convienced the Reds pitchers only have one decent working pitch. I've noticed it a ton with Harrang this year, on days where it's pretty much all fastballs...he gets murdered.

WVPacman
05-27-2007, 12:40 AM
I don't know if its Ross's fault or not but if they have other pitchs then they should'nt think twice about throwing them.They have all the talent in the world and they are'nt afraid to go after the batters.Just think how much easier it would be for them to get batters out if they would throw their other pitchs?? It would be scary!!!!

reds44
05-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Burton can throw a decent secondary, but I am nowhere near as optimistic about Salmon. He's 27, so he is not exactly young so I don't see him developing another working pitch. IMO, McBeth is a better option then Salmon, if not both of them.

WVPacman
05-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Burton can throw a decent secondary, but I am nowhere near as optimistic about Salmon. He's 27, so he is not exactly young so I don't see him developing another working pitch. IMO, McBeth is a better option then Salmon, if not both of them.

Yeah I see what your saying but I feel we have to give him a chance b/c hes a very hard thrower and thats exactly what I feel the bullpen needs.If Majeski keeps doing good this year then if they bring Mcbeth up then I think those four is enough to make our bullpen better. Oh and can't forget about Coffey,I think sending him down to louisville is all he needed to get him back on track.

Dracodave
05-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh and can't forget about Coffey,I think sending him down to louisville is all he needed to get him back on track.

Confidence builder, and getting a manager that knows how to manager his pitchers does wonders too. :laugh:

WVPacman
05-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Confidence builder, and getting a manager that knows how to manager his pitchers does wonders too. :laugh:

EXACTLY!!! Narron has difently overused Coffey. Its no wonder why Coffey was giving up bombs here recently.I mean yes some of the mistakes was Coffeys fault but anybody in their right mind would know that you can't throw a pitcher out there four straight games or five games out of seven.
:thumbdown

jnwohio
05-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Oh and can't forget about Coffey,I think sending him down to louisville is all he needed to get him back on track.

Going down to Louisville isn't going to help Coffey that much unless he learns another pitch he can use for his out pitch. Brantley ( and others) seem to think that would a be slider with which he could get called strikes without getting bombed and alternately be able to induce swinging strikes by starting it in the zone and breaking it out of the zone.

Dracodave
05-27-2007, 01:26 AM
EXACTLY!!! Narron has difently overused Coffey. Its no wonder why Coffey was giving up bombs here recently.I mean yes some of the mistakes was Coffeys fault but anybody in their right mind would know that you can't throw a pitcher out there four straight games or five games out of seven.
:thumbdown

Coutlangus pitched almost 6 innings in five straight days and at the end of that run gave up the Grand Salami..

Further proof in point.

WVPacman
05-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Coutlangus pitched almost 6 innings in five straight days and at the end of that run gave up the Grand Salami..

Further proof in point.

Yep I know what your saying bud,Narron is'nt helping our bullpen whoas at all.As a matter of fact alot of of the blame should be placed on him.Who knows if another guy was handling the bullpen options our bullpen may get better.

Dracodave
05-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Going down to Louisville isn't going to help Coffey that much unless he learns another pitch he can use for his out pitch. Brantley ( and others) seem to think that would a be slider with which he could get called strikes without getting bombed and alternately be able to induce swinging strikes by starting it in the zone and breaking it out of the zone.

Coffey had a good slider last year as well as a decent curve. Once again, this team is stuck throwing fastballs and change ups..repeatively. No need for other pitchers. As Dick Pole has said "This is the major leagues and we love our change ups."

Unless your change is Cole Hamels-esque..relay on your full arsenal of pitches.

Slyder
05-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Salmon has a very good splitter, Burton has that slider/cutter that tops out at 93 with EXCELLENT movement.

Why aren't they using it? Ross has a habit lately of calling fastball after fastball, as if he's convienced the Reds pitchers only have one decent working pitch. I've noticed it a ton with Harrang this year, on days where it's pretty much all fastballs...he gets murdered.

Is a 93 mph cutter that much different than a mid/upper 90s fastball in batter's timing? Maybe they need to get a little bit of work in with Bronson and maybe mix it up to where when needed they could 'take something off the pitch' and have the cutter go 87 instead of always going 90+ with everything.

Betterread
05-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Why aren't they using it? Ross has a habit lately of calling fastball after fastball, as if he's convienced the Reds pitchers , only have one decent working pitch. I've noticed it a ton with Harrang this year, on days where it's pretty much all fastballs...he gets murdered.

I've seen Salmon throw a good, but inconsistent slider as his breaking pitch. I haven't seen Burton's 93 mph cutter - that would be a sick pitch if he threw it consistently. That would be like Rivera in his prime.