PDA

View Full Version : Saarloos optioned to Louisville

T7-niner
05-28-2007, 11:04 AM
From C Trent

'They need answers, but I don't feel like I'm the problem. I had three bad innings in 20 appearances. I don't think I'm the problem'

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Screwball
05-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow. And yet Stanton still has a job...

:bang:

durl
05-28-2007, 11:05 AM
No one single player is the problem right now. Nothing is clicking with this team.

pahster
05-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow. Saarloos is far from the Reds' worst problem.

mole44
05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
You gotta be kidding me, how much more does Krivsky have to screw up before BCast realizes hes not the man for the job

DannyB
05-28-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't think we will miss him. Eric Milton could have done what he did.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't think we will miss him. Eric Milton could have done what he did.

I doubt it. Saarloos was actually effective out of the 'pen and had a good outing his first start this year. He's basically being DFA'd for [B]one[B] bad game (albeit it was horrendous).

DannyB
05-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I doubt it. Saarloos was actually effective out of the 'pen and had a good outing his first start this year. He's basically being DFA'd for [B]one[B] bad game (albeit it was horrendous).

Yes, I know he was,I think its more of a scapegoat thing.
Not even Wayne would want to make himself look so bad by DFA ing all the players he needs to.

captainmorgan07
05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
im starting to think that louisville bullpen is gonna be better than the one thats actually up with the big club right now

hebroncougar
05-28-2007, 11:45 AM
I just don't get it. How much more can Castellini take??? Krivsky keeps jettisioning the mistakes he keeps making. I don't get it. The Reds continue to be a rudderless ship.

1 Tool Player
05-28-2007, 11:46 AM
im starting to think that louisville bullpen is gonna be better than the one thats actually up with the big club right now

I'm not so sure Chatanooga's isn't

Screwball
05-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I generally like Rosecrans, but he definitely missed the boat on this one earlier. Being optioned to Louisville is a FAR cry from being DFA'd. This move makes a lot more sense than he one I thought had happened.

TheWalls
05-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Saarlos has been grossly mismanaged this season. All spring training he prepares to start, he finishes a close second and he is moved to long relief, short relief, set up, closer (repeat), finally gets a chance to start and surprise, surprise his number of appearances, lack of set role and lack of prep to start have made him a more ineffective starter than in Spring Training.

He's got starter stuff, prefers that role and historically performed better in it. Send him down, let him start, bring him back if needed. I still think he can be an effective major league starter for the Reds.

reds44
05-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Livingston will be working out of the pen, they'll likely make another move for Friday's game at Colorado, the next time Saarloos' spot comes up. Saarloos said he's been told he will pitch out of the bullpen with the Bats.
Wait if Livingston isn't taking Saarloos' spot in the rotation who is? If Livingston is coming out of the pen they should have just called up McBeth.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 01:05 PM
He's got starter stuff, prefers that role and historically performed better in it. Send him down, let him start, bring him back if needed. I still think he can be an effective major league starter for the Reds.

Walls, I was with you until you got here. Historically he's been a much better reliever than starter...

In 71 GS, he has a 5.16 ERA, 1.55 WHIP, and a K/BB ratio of 1.21.
In 74 relief appearances, he has a 3.81 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, and a K/BB ratio of 1.54.

Clearly, he's been much more effective as a reliever throughout his career, and his performance this year so far justifies that. I just think that Narron needs to stop jerking him back and forth between middle reliever, set-up man, long guy, starter, etc. Either make him the 5th starter and take your lumps, place him in long relief, or use him as a middle reliever. He gives up too many walks to be a set-up/ high leverage guy, and it looks like right now his arm doesn't have the strength built up to sustain success in consecutive starts. It looks to me like he could be a 6th or 7th inning guy or a long reliever and be solid in that role, if only Jerry would keep him there.

boognish
05-28-2007, 07:36 PM
There are bigger fish for the fanbase to fry than kvetching over optioning the team's mop-up man (though Narron used him as an SP and eighth inning guy). I am more worried about the evaluators' decision that Livingston is more useful than anyone currently on the current roster, and that can be the big league coaching staff is not equipped to help Coffey command his fastball.

The revolving door of AAAA players in a vain attempt to catch lightning in a bottle is counter-productive, and relief pitchers who might actually have some upside should be considered, IMO. I'd like to see McBeth or Medlock, here, or sifting through other teams' scraps (St. Louis picked up Wellemeyer off of waivers just last week).

JLB5
05-28-2007, 07:44 PM
It seems to me that this was more of a move for the team than anything against Saarloos. He didn't get out of the 1st and the bullpen is spent after the past week. They needed to get another BP arm for a few days and KS had options. Seems like a good solution to me. KS gets a chance to go down and get some work and the team gets some relief for an overworked pen. That's good management in my book. Now if this leads to the return of Uncle Milty... :evil:

Dracodave
05-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Panic move on Waynes part. You have to admit that after todays injury to Freel, this team looks like it's on it's leg.

I really wish they would just either firesale or admit defeat already.

bounty37h
05-29-2007, 01:58 PM

I thought he was simply being sent down, not DFA'd?

rotnoid
05-29-2007, 02:06 PM
It seems to me that this was more of a move for the team than anything against Saarloos. He didn't get out of the 1st and the bullpen is spent after the past week. They needed to get another BP arm for a few days and KS had options. Seems like a good solution to me. KS gets a chance to go down and get some work and the team gets some relief for an overworked pen. That's good management in my book. Now if this leads to the return of Uncle Milty... :evil:

The only problem I have with that theory, is that Saarloos himself would have been avaiable over the next few days. He made it quite clear in post game interviews that he'd already told Narron he was available immediately. If the move was for the team and because they needed an arm, I don't think he's the one to go down (just based on availability). The only reason I can see to send him down is to stretch him out in AAA in hopes of bringing him back up as a starter later. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that tact, but it seems logical. As fifth starters go, we could do a lot worse. The problem is, anybody beyond Harang and Arroyo are all viewed in the same light.

eastkyred
05-29-2007, 02:44 PM

Just to expand on that a little...with the way the starting pitching has been going and Lohse in particular, I think Livingston was called up for fear of how Mondays start may go by Lohse. Livingston has already used an option, so on short notice, the potential of another long day by the bullpen makes Livingston an obvious choice to have on the roster for a few days until Santos is ready to pitch again or management can regain a little faith in the starters. Saarloos said he could pitch, but I would have rather had a little fresher arm considering what the bullpen had been through over the last week. I think in a few days Livingston will be sent back down and someone else will be activated to make a start when Saarloos' turn comes back up on Friday. The question is who? Also, at some point, there are going to have to be some moves made to be able to get Guardado, Bray, and Coffey(if he can work things out) back on the roster. Weathers isn't going anywhere unless there is a trade, Santos has pitched okay and is out of options, they seem to be reluctant to eat two years worth of Stanton's contract, Burton has to stay on the 25 man, I personally would like to see Cout and Salmon stay on the roster, and I think they want to give Maj a good look to see if he can return to form from 2 years ago. Where do the roster spots come from for Guardado, Bray, and Coffey if and when they are ready?

Screwball
05-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I thought he was simply being sent down, not DFA'd?

Yeah, I typed that when the only info out was Trent saying he had been DFA'd. I don't think he ever did explain how he confused "optioned to Louisville" with "Designated for Assignment".