PDA

View Full Version : Astros Game 1 Thoughts

reds44
05-29-2007, 10:57 PM
W 2-1

Great outing by Matt Belisle. 7.2 IP, 1 R, W
Stormy made it interesting, but got the save.
Dunn with a sac fly.
Hatte with the GW RBI.
Gonzalez stubleded on the DP, but turned it.

2 Ws in a row, and a good pitching matchup tomorrow. A winning streak maybe?

HumnHilghtFreel
05-29-2007, 10:59 PM
I'll take an ugly win every time from here on out if I have to.

Weathers definitely has a thing for making me sweat bullets when he's closing games out

jimbo
05-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Weathers definitely has a thing for making me sweat bullets when he's closing games out

Phillips didn't exactly help him though. I can't be too tough on Weathers. He's done a pretty good job considering he is being used in a role that is not suited for him.

reds44
05-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Forgot to mention Norris Hopper. 3-4 tonight. Nice job filling in for Freel..

Cant Touch This
05-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah, that air-tight defense up the middle certainy looked sure-handed in the ninth inning. Granted that was a tough play for BP, but I expect him to make it. Gonzales shoud have turned that without batting an eye. I don't blame Stormy for anyone's sweat bullets tonight.

Weathers pitched around Loretta to get the force. I thought he pitched wisely to Berkman given his dominance of Reds pitching, although a walk was not really the desired outcome. Weathers "called his shot" before delivering ihs first pitch to Lee. You could see him mouthing "Double play. Double play." Maybe he was praying...

HumnHilghtFreel
05-29-2007, 11:09 PM

He even misplayed a ball by being overaggressive and got caught stealing, you'da thunk it was Ryan out there;)

TC81190
05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
David Weathers better send me a damn check for the blood pressure pills I'll inevitably have to start taking every time he enters a game.

jimbo
05-29-2007, 11:12 PM

I'm starting to like this kid, although these guys playing CF need to be a little more careful when deciding to dive for flyballs. When a CF decides to dive for a ball he's coming in on, he better be darn sure he's going to get it, especially with runners on base. Glad he didn't give up and got back quick enough to throw out the runner at home, but if he had held up and caught it on the hop the runner would not have scored.

TC81190
05-29-2007, 11:12 PM
He even misplayed a ball by being overaggressive and got caught stealing, you'da thunk it was Ryan out there;)

We should make that our new thing. We don't have a SS legacy anymore. We could have a "journeyman-OF-turned-hustler-utilityman" legacy. That is, if N-Hop can start strollin' as much as Freel does (uh...BB that is.)

jimbo
05-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Glad he didn't give up and got back quick enough to throw out the runner at home, but if he had held up and caught it on the hop the runner would not have scored.

I take that back, Biggio was on second so he probably would have scored anyway. But it doesn't change the fact that Hopper has to be more selective when diving for balls coming in while playing CF.

Screwball
05-29-2007, 11:22 PM

I thought it was a hit and run that Hatt messed up on?

NorrisHopper30
05-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I didn't get caught stealing, Hatteberg was supposed to hit the ball for a hit and run. That's why I was looking towards Hatte while running.

Oh well, he made up for it a few pitches later.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
I thought it was a hit and run that Hatt messed up on?

I didn't see the play, but I was being sarcastic anyway.

Topcat
05-30-2007, 01:21 AM
I didn't get caught stealing, Hatteberg was supposed to hit the ball for a hit and run. That's why I was looking towards Hatte while running.

Oh well, he made up for it a few pitches later.

Is this cheesy routine run it's course by you yet ?

BurgervilleBuck
05-30-2007, 09:09 AM
It was the defense that closed the game, not Weathers.

eastkyred
05-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Gonzales shoud have turned that without batting an eye.

That was a tough play by Gonzo. Did you see how far he went to his left to come up with that ball? It was hit fairly sharp up the middle and he was at DP depth. Great play by Gonzo.

Moosie52
05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
The defense and the funk Houston is in. They've lost 9 in a row.

bucksfan2
05-30-2007, 10:38 AM
That was a tough play by Gonzo. Did you see how far he went to his left to come up with that ball? It was hit fairly sharp up the middle and he was at DP depth. Great play by Gonzo.

Actually the play Gonzo made was a damn good one. If you looked at it he basically made sure he got his body in front of the ball to keep it in the infield first. He know that he had Lee running who may be the slowest player in all of baseball. I only caught the end of the game but it seemed like a nice game for the reds to win. One that management thought the reds would win more of this year.

kaldaniels
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Actually the play Gonzo made was a damn good one. If you looked at it he basically made sure he got his body in front of the ball to keep it in the infield first. He know that he had Lee running who may be the slowest player in all of baseball. I only caught the end of the game but it seemed like a nice game for the reds to win. One that management thought the reds would win more of this year.

Nice play by Gonzo....a very tough ball to get to and make the turn. He stumbled a tick, but regardless made the play. However...wow is Lee slow. I thought for sure the game was tied.

hebroncougar
05-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Just a huge, huge game by Belisle. Now it's Harang and Arroyo's turn. Let's get it done and get out of the cellar.

TheWalls
05-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Ryan who? You make the most of that chance Norris! Freel's a better utility man anyway.