PDA

View Full Version : Homer to start Friday

BearcatShane
06-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Like 6 innings, 3 hits, 1 walk, and no runs wll he finally get the call? Krivsky or anyone really couldn't use the control excuse anymore. I think Saturday June 16th is a good target date to get Bailey his first start.

Degenerate39
06-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I doubt we'll get to see him until July or August

BearcatShane
06-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I doubt we'll get to see him until July or August

I really do doubt that. What more does he have to prove at the AAA level? As long as he maintainsn decent control. If you call him up now it doesn't count vs his service time either.

keeganbrick
06-02-2007, 04:32 PM
arbitration clock........

BearcatShane
06-02-2007, 05:33 PM
arbitration clock........

I thought I read somewhere that if we brought him up now it wouldn't go against his arbitration clock.

redsfanmia
06-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Lets let him prove himself in the minors until he hurts himself and Doc Hollywood has to fix him.

keeganbrick
06-02-2007, 08:24 PM
If he is brought up before July 1st or somewhere right around that date I think he would be a Super 2 come 09.

hebroncougar
06-02-2007, 09:09 PM
6 innings 7 hits, 3 BB 8 K's, 4 ER tonight. Is that good enough?

robmadden1
06-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Marty thinks what Homer did today is good enough to have him come up next Saturday.

reds44
06-02-2007, 10:38 PM
So, was looking at the game notes, and the Reds have Thursday's starter as TBA. Because of the way the rotation worked with the off day and the demotion of Livingston, I think we all assumed that would be a spot for Kyle Lohse, today's starter. But they could give Belisle the extra rest. If they called up someone from Louisville, today's starter is one H. Bailey. Of course, I could be reading waaaaaay too much into this. Just some conjecture. And that's all that is, mind you. But interesting nonetheless.

Homer gave up a homer and three runs in the first, so maybe we did get ahead of ourselves. It's 3-3 in the third in Durham.

Great point by Trent. IF Homer pitched Thursday, he would be going on his normal rest.

BearcatShane
06-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Homer Bailey will make his debut Saturday.

Doro
06-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Stats are one thing..... was he hitting his spots? You can get away with mistake pitches at the AAA level but at the major league level mistakes end up 450 feet away. This isnt a baseball sim.

BearcatShane
06-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Stats are one thing..... was he hitting his spots? You can get away with mistake pitches at the AAA level but at the major league level mistakes end up 450 feet away. This isnt a baseball sim.

We'll find out Saturday.

reds44
06-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Or not.

POSTGAME: Jerry said Thursday would probably be Lohse, and then Homer, Dumatrait or Santos on Saturday. I'd put my money on Homer. Looks like a home game I'm gonna have to go to. Thanks Homer.

So much for that idea. Guess Trent was wrong.

I just don't want to see Santos or Dumatrait starting.

BearcatShane
06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
It should be a great night for the baseball fans in Cincinnati. I'll be a witness.

justincredible
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm hoping he starts on Saturday. I have 4th row Diamond seats for that game. I do NOT want to sit there for Victor Santos!

mole44
06-02-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm hoping he starts on Saturday. I have 4th row Diamond seats for that game. I do NOT want to sit there for Victor Santos!

Don't feel bad, I sat there last year when Joe Mays got the start. Luckily we won, but I forget how since I do not remember the last 6 innings

BearcatShane
06-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Don't feel bad, I sat there last year when Joe Mays got the start. Luckily we won, but I forget how since I do not remember the last 6 innings

I remeber that game. I'm pretty sure we lost. You might be thinking of the night before when Elizardo go rocked but we won on the Dunn Grand Slam.

nw_ohio_fan
06-03-2007, 12:16 AM
That was the talk on WLW Tonight about Homer. I think/hope it will be Saturday. I would be disappointed if they leave him down again this year.

harangatang
06-03-2007, 12:38 AM
If the Reds treat Homer like Detroit treated Bonderman a few years ago I'll be OK with it. On the other hand if the Reds treat Homer like they have treated EdE than it may not be a good move.

WVPacman
06-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Guys to be honest I think he needs atleast another five to six starts just to get him more ready.Moving up to the majors is a BIG STEP and if he isn't ready and comes up here and gets hammered then that would destroy his confidence.Don't get me wrong I think he should be up here but they have to take time and pick the right time to bring him up.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2007, 01:00 AM
I'd like to see the nod go to Dumatrait. He hasn't gotten a major league start and at least deserves one. If Homer had dominated tonight, I would've said maybe. However, the fact that he struggled tells me he should have a few more starts at Louisville. I'd still like to see those 2nd and 3rd pitches develop a bit more.

BearcatShane
06-03-2007, 01:32 AM
I'd like to see the nod go to Dumatrait. He hasn't gotten a major league start and at least deserves one. If Homer had dominated tonight, I would've said maybe. However, the fact that he struggled tells me he should have a few more starts at Louisville. I'd still like to see those 2nd and 3rd pitches develop a bit more.

It would not be fair to Homer for Dumatrait to get a shot before him. Homer has out pitched Dumatrait by far.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2007, 02:55 AM
It would not be fair to Homer for Dumatrait to get a shot before him. Homer has out pitched Dumatrait by far.

Homer has outpitched Dumatrait this year, but I think I speak for most when I say I'd like to see him at least get 1 shot at the major league level to see how he performs. Plus, it's not like Dumatrait has pitched awful or something.

hebroncougar
06-03-2007, 08:05 AM

I agree. I really hope management wasn't REALLY thinking..........if he pitches well in this one start, we'll bring him up, or if he doesn't we won't. It really should be about the composite piece that is Homer Bailey. His BB/K ratio has improved tremendously since coming off his brief DL stint, and that is a great sign, but it has only been 3 starts.

ChatterRed
06-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Marge'sMullet
06-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Wait until mid July so he can't be a super 2. It only make sense. Small market teams like the REDS have to take more in concern.

Even if he's brought up in mid July he should get 10-15 starts which is enough to build on for 08.

StrikeIndicator
06-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Here is Homer's line from yesterday

Louisville
Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Bailey (W, 6-1) 6.0 7 4 4 3 8 1 2.31

I agree with those who are in favor of letting him mature with the Bats.

IMHO he needs to be able to dominateat that level for an extended period of time before he gets exposed to MLB

BearcatShane
06-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Homer has outpitched Dumatrait this year, but I think I speak for most when I say I'd like to see him at least get 1 shot at the major league level to see how he performs. Plus, it's not like Dumatrait has pitched awful or something.

I'm not saying don't give Dumatrait a chance, but give Homer a chance first.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not saying don't give Dumatrait a chance, but give Homer a chance first.

And if he falters, then what? Are you going to send him back down if he gets shelled?

Dumatrait should get the call-up first. See what he can do so that you can allow Bailey to continue his development. Once he's up, he needs to stay up. If that means his debut has to be set back, so be it.

BearcatShane
06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
And if he falters, then what? Are you going to send him back down if he gets shelled?

Dumatrait should get the call-up first. See what he can do so that you can allow Bailey to continue his development. Once he's up, he needs to stay up. If that means his debut has to be set back, so be it.

If he gets shelled so be it. Keep him up here the rest of the year and let him learn. I don't expect him to dominate right off the bat. As for Dumatrait, give him the call when they trade Lohse or someone gets hurt.

Jefferson24
06-03-2007, 01:27 PM

I've got seats too, not good ones but there seats! Section 531 row f, I think. Bring him up! Just get it over and be done with it once and for all.

reds44
06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Jerry Narron said Kyle Lohse will start Thursday.

"Saturday is TBA," Narron said. "And it's TBA, not TBD."

What all that means is Homer Bailey is starting.

TBA stands for "to be announced;" TBD stands for "to be decided."

The Reds obviously have decided to pitch Bailey, the 21-year-old right-hander. Bailey pitched Saturday night for Triple-A Louisville. He won to push his record to 6-1. He allowed four runs on seven hits over six innings. It was his worst outing of the year.

So why not announce it? "I don't know what the rules are," Narron said. "Can you announce it if he's not on the roster?"

Saturday's game is against Cleveland at Great American Ball Park. The game was part of the "Power Packs," so it probably had a strong presale.

-Fay

He's starting Saturday boys.

kbrake
06-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Already had plans to go, a buddy turns 21 this week and we are going to the game and then out to celebrate. Now with this news, I cant wait for Saturday.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-03-2007, 01:57 PM
-Fay

He's starting Saturday boys.

That Indians lineup should definitely be a good test for him.

nate
06-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Looks like he will (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/06/homer-it-is.asp).

NorrisHopper30
06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Saturday?
Lohse starts Thursday.

nate
06-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Saturday?
Lohse starts Thursday.

Ugh, I kept telling myself "Thursday" and my finger went on strike and typed "Saturday." Damn hand unions!

Fixed now!

Reds4Life
06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Ugh, I kept telling myself "Thursday" and my finger went on strike and typed "Saturday." Damn hand unions!

Fixed now!

You typed Thursday, I changed it to Saturday, which is the correct day Bailey will start.

Degenerate39
06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I have to take the ACT Saturday! What time is the game on?

HokieRed
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Is anybody besides me troubled that this hardly looks like a baseball decision at all, but a kind of frantic, pathetic attempt by K and N to save their jobs? I can't think of a worse scenario for Homer to come up in.

boognish
06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Is anybody besides me troubled that this hardly looks like a baseball decision at all, but a kind of frantic, pathetic attempt by K and N to save their jobs? I can't think of a worse scenario for Homer to come up in.

Not picking on you, Hokie, but I've seen this a bunch on the board, and wanted to ask: who should be starting in your opinion? Dumatrait pretty much pitched his was out of a callup in may (ERA close to 7 for the month). As long as he is kept on a pitch count everything should be fine, as Narron has proven time and again he does not value protecting the team's arms, instead "managing every game like game 7 of the World Series" to quote Chris Welsh.

They need to keep him up for good, regardless of the first start results, and work on the secondary pitch command at the big league level as opposed to AAA. I tend to take the approach that pitchers only have so many pitches in their arms, so why use those up in the minors?

keeganbrick
06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I have to take the ACT Saturday! What time is the game on?

Im guessing not at 9-11am.;)

noskill27
06-03-2007, 08:25 PM
This worries the heck out of me. Homer's walking WAY too many hitters in AAA. I'd like to see him work on that and come up when he's ready instead of coming up because a manager is worried about his job....

Degenerate39
06-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Im guessing not at 9-11am.;)

I have to drive an hour to get to the school I'm going to take it at and an hour back. I read the ACT takes about 4 hours. So thats 6 hours.

HokieRed
06-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Livingston could easily be starting this game if the front office had had the sense not to send him down. I'm not against the bringing of McBeth up, though it seems hard to understand why you'd do this if he's not going to be used. But Livingston should have been kept after the other night and they should have sent down or DFA'd one of the several relievers who obviously will not be with the ballclub more than another month or so if they wanted to bring up McBeth.

bounty37h
06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I was at Saturdays game in Durham, and as much as I love the future this kid has for us, I was not overly impressed wiht his game that night, spots looked a little off, and got hit hard a few times, but man, he sure can bring it and will be a forcew to deal with soon!!!!

RedsNeck
06-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Homer will be fine regardless of what happens this year. I can think of at least 3 other pitchers that struggled when they came up at age 21 that are a little better than ok now named Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz. Now is the perfect time to groom Bailey for bigger things in 2008'.

bearcatfan24
06-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Is homer really starting sat. vs. cleveland

dsmith421
06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I have to say that I don't understand either the timing or the reasoning behind this move.

From Bailey's perspective, all signs from AAA have been that his fastball is there but he has struggled to locate at times and has been working on developing plus offspeed stuff. I see no good reason to interrupt this development to provide help to a team well on its way to a last place, 95 loss season.

From the Reds point of view, if you call Bailey up now and he becomes the pitcher you believe he will be, then he is arbitration-eligible for the 2010 season rather than 2011. That could be the difference of $3-5M for 2011, money that (as we have seen) could be used to shore up the worst bench and bullpen in baseball. If Bailey is not ready, then he's going to get slaughtered, which doesn't help either the team or his own confidence.

The only justification I can come up with for this move is that Castellini wants Homer up for the big gates and to inject some excitement into the team. May I suggest to Mr. Castellini that if he truly wants Cincinnatians united behind the Reds he might wish to hire a competent GM. Krivsky this year has put together one of the single worst constructed rosters I've ever seen. The Reds continually go with failures like Stanton and Majewski in an attempt to justify their mistakes while marginalizing and stunting our own youngsters.

Bringing up Bailey is a bald-faced attempt to rook the fans once again. Please, stop with the short-sighted quick fixes and make some real changes to this club's bankrupt organizational philosophy.

reds44
06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Just got in from Denver.

Spoke to Homer Bailey on the way from the airport. He has not been told anything definitive. I ended our conversation with: "Guess, I'll see you this weekend."

"I hope you're right," he said.

There will be a Bailey story in the paper tomorrow and online at some point tonight.

-Fay

robmadden1
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/SPT04/706050318/-1/CINCI

keeganbrick
06-05-2007, 11:48 AM
:luvu::birthday::jump::welcome::KoolAid::roll::roc kband::denorfia::denorfia::denorfia:

Degenerate39
06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Wait I thought he was starting Saturday.

rotnoid
06-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Homer Bailey and a Bronson Arroyo mullet hat on the same night? What more can a guy ask for?

keeganbrick
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Homer Bailey and a Bronson Arroyo mullet hat on the same night? What more can a guy ask for?

Tickets to the game............

Fil3232
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I have to say that I don't understand either the timing or the reasoning behind this move.

From Bailey's perspective, all signs from AAA have been that his fastball is there but he has struggled to locate at times and has been working on developing plus offspeed stuff. I see no good reason to interrupt this development to provide help to a team well on its way to a last place, 95 loss season.

From the Reds point of view, if you call Bailey up now and he becomes the pitcher you believe he will be, then he is arbitration-eligible for the 2010 season rather than 2011. That could be the difference of $3-5M for 2011, money that (as we have seen) could be used to shore up the worst bench and bullpen in baseball. If Bailey is not ready, then he's going to get slaughtered, which doesn't help either the team or his own confidence.

The only justification I can come up with for this move is that Castellini wants Homer up for the big gates and to inject some excitement into the team. May I suggest to Mr. Castellini that if he truly wants Cincinnatians united behind the Reds he might wish to hire a competent GM. Krivsky this year has put together one of the single worst constructed rosters I've ever seen. The Reds continually go with failures like Stanton and Majewski in an attempt to justify their mistakes while marginalizing and stunting our own youngsters.

Bringing up Bailey is a bald-faced attempt to rook the fans once again. Please, stop with the short-sighted quick fixes and make some real changes to this club's bankrupt organizational philosophy.

Very nice post. I agree with everything you say.

Reds Freak
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Crap, I have tickets for Saturday's game and have a graduation Friday night. :bang: I'll tell you one thing, whether or not you agree with the decision, everyone will be tuned into that game.

One thing that might be getting overlooked here is Bailey's internal fortitude and attitude. From everything that I have heard about the guy he is extremely down to earth and grounded. I remember in spring training when he got hit around a little bit he didn't panic; he told reporters that he's glad that he got hit hard because it lets him know what he has to work on. The kid seems more mature than his age and I think this should be considered before comparing him to guys like Ryan Wagner...

markymark69
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
It's about time. Let's face it, this season can't get any worse. Let's see what he can do.

robmadden1
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I wonder if they will keep homer in the #4 spot all the time or if this is just a one time deal?

Degenerate39
06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I wonder if they will keep homer in the #4 spot all the time or if this is just a one time deal?

He'll probably be moved up a spot after the all-star break that's my guess anyway

Caseyfan21
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Crap, I have tickets for Saturday's game and have a graduation Friday night. :bang: I'll tell you one thing, whether or not you agree with the decision, everyone will be tuned into that game.

One thing that might be getting overlooked here is Bailey's internal fortitude and attitude. From everything that I have heard about the guy he is extremely down to earth and grounded. I remember in spring training when he got hit around a little bit he didn't panic; he told reporters that he's glad that he got hit hard because it lets him know what he has to work on. The kid seems more mature than his age and I think this should be considered before comparing him to guys like Ryan Wagner...

I'm the exact opposite. My sister graduates Saturday night so I'm home for the weekend. Well, with this change, now I'm just going straight to Cincinnati to meet up with friends and go to the game Friday night. It should work pretty well since this is the weekend right after school ends (for quarter schools) so it's probably the only weekend all of my good friends will be in town.

I don't think anyone can say Homer is ready or not ready. I think we'll get a better idea by the sixth inning Friday night but still no one will be able to say anything until after he gets a few starts in the majors. I do think with the season going the way it is, that this could possibly inject a little life into the team and especially the fan base. If Homer gets shelled then he will have something to take back to Louisville to work on. If he does great then he gets another chance until he proves otherwise.

This won't be like Brien Reith where we leave him out there to get shelled for 10 starts and it kills his confidence for the rest of his career. I don't think anyone in the FO will allow that to happen (:pray:). If he has a couple bad starts send him back down and let him work on things.

This isn't the end of the world for either side. He's certainly not here to stay unless he proves he is worthy.

bounty37h
06-05-2007, 12:45 PM
-Fay

I just spoke with Homer last night, and he said he found out that morning (Monday) that he would be in Cincy this wekeend, said his dad actually called and told him, so dont know if he "knew" anything, or was just passing along speculation as we all are. He seemed to make it sound like it was pretty certain, as he said it in front of a few other players, and seemed pretty happy about it from his smile....

BoCcc2832
06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/06/05/bc.bbn.reds.bailey.ap/index.html

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Homer Bailey, the top pitching prospect in the Cincinnati Reds farm system, will make his major league debut Friday night against the Cleveland Indians, the Reds said Tuesday.

Bailey, the Reds' No. 1 pick in the June 2004 first-year player draft and the seventh pick overall, was the Reds minor league player of the year last season while at Class A Sarasota and Double-A Chattanooga.

He has been at Triple-A Louisville this season, his first at that level, and is 6-1 in 10 starts with a 2.31 earned run average and 51 strikeouts and 24 walks in 58 innings.

klw
06-05-2007, 01:38 PM
My guess is that Majewski goes back to Louisville. I would not be surprised if he is used in St. Louis to try to right his ship. If he struggles, he is back to AAA. If he is lights out then McBeth goes just because that is what McBeth gets to do.

rotnoid
06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
It's probably McBeth, Majewski, or Santos, barring a trade.

foltza
06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
unless majewski has options, it will be mcbeth. with saarloos down, santos has value in long relief, whether redszone likes it or not.

JLB5
06-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Just heard Ted Power on Lance McCallister's show. He said Bailey should do well. He said he was particularly impressed with his last start and how he bounced back after getting hit early. He said over his last few starts he has been using all his pitches in various situations. He also said his greatest attribute right now is his "stubbornness" and that he won't give in because he believes in his stuff. He said he's "never seen anyone like him." Power also stated that he does not hesitate to call him a "pitcher" and not a "thrower."

Sean_CaseyRules
06-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I would love to get tickets to this game! I was at the Cleveland game last year where we came back from 7-0 and won. Now to go see them again, but its Homer's first start? That would be awesome!

I(heart)Freel
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm getting giddy!

reds44
06-05-2007, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Homer+Bailey

Homer videos. Look how long his stride in compared to Hamels.

robmadden1
06-05-2007, 04:24 PM
I have tickets to Friday's game but will be late since I work till 7:30pm. I hate it because I wont get to sdee the start of the game.

steig
06-05-2007, 06:19 PM
The future is now, let's see what he can do and hopefully he will get a chance to stay with the club and learn throughout the season.

Chi-Town Red
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
finally, something to smile about in 2007

Degenerate39
06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
finally, something to smile about in 2007

Besides Josh Hamilton and Griffey Jr.

George Foster
06-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Will he start again on Wed, the 13th?....it's bobblehead night, and I'm going.

Degenerate39
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty excited for Homers start tonight. I hope he has a good game.

Homer Bailey
06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Wish me luck boys!

reds44
06-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Friday, June 8, 2007
Homer's entrance

Homer Bailey made his grand entrance. Photographers and videographers recorded his walk up the dugout steps to take batting practice.

Quite a moment, well, not really. He looked like he knows shat he's doing in BP. He only had eight at-bats for Louisville -- one hit, one strikeout, two RBI.

Jerry Narron planned to talk to him before the start. "It's not going to be a Knute Rockne speech," Narron said. "I'll tell him basically to work with (catcher David Ross)."

Narron expects Bailey to say he's not nervous.

"But, if he's not nervous and doesn't have a lot of adrenaline pumping, there's something worng with him," Narron said. "It's going to be interesting. I look forward to it."

Narron says the key for Bailey is simple.

"The best pitch in baseball is a well-located fastball," Narron said.

In other words, if the Bailey can locate the fastball, he's got a chance. If he doesn't, it could be a long, or rather short night.

-fay