PDA

View Full Version : Something that really irks me about Jerry Narron

pokeyfan
06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
We could have a long laundry list i'm sure of, but i want to focus on one aspect of his philosophy....well let's up that to 3 aspects:

What do you guys/gals think of:
1) Him leaving a pitcher in to hit for himself, only yanking him in the next half inning when he gives up a hit (He did this with Belisle today, and he has done it alot in the past)?

2) Having BobBooneinitis. Otherwise known as the fear of using the same starting lineup 2 days in a row?

3) After Countlangus walks the first batter today, he left him in to face a Right handed hitter, which he walked. At this point, apparently the pitcher doesn't have a feel for his pitches or a hot hand, so why does he leave him in for a 3rd batter (which he ended up walking)? I feel that if he was like a successful manager who went with what was working, instead of what SHOULD work, then he would have more success.

I feel like these 3 things have been the downfall of Jerry Narron. They are things that frustrate me to no end.

Anyone have any thoughts on these 3 issues with Narron?

HumnHilghtFreel
06-03-2007, 10:07 PM
#3 is especially annoying for me. He seems to have no semblance of an idea of when a pitcher is off his game. Even if the guy gives you a big hint with 8 straight balls.

winker12
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Countlangus after he walked the first batter. He's in there to get the lefty out and he walks him, why let him face the righty? I had a few choice words after that! This is so frustrating.

hebroncougar
06-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Was there someone already warmed up to replace Countlangous?

ChatterRed
06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm the same way. I can tell right away whether or not a reliever or starter "has it". I would be doing the quick hook on relievers who come in and don't "have it". Narron thinks they'll work their way out of it and they never do.

Strikes Out Looking
06-04-2007, 08:11 AM
While you can't fault Narron for the way the relievers actually pitch, I don't think he could manage a great bullpen (BRM or 99 Reds) much better. As the Reds won't likely have a great bullpen during his tenure here, I'm not sure we'll ever know the answer to the question--is the problem Narron or the pitchers--or, as I believe, both.

bucksfan2
06-04-2007, 08:23 AM
While you can't fault Narron for the way the relievers actually pitch, I don't think he could manage a great bullpen (BRM or 99 Reds) much better. As the Reds won't likely have a great bullpen during his tenure here, I'm not sure we'll ever know the answer to the question--is the problem Narron or the pitchers--or, as I believe, both.

The pen is poor but I dont think it is as bad as they are pitching right now. I think the biggest thing with bull pens are putting your pitchers in a situation where they are comfortable. Too many times this year the reds saw Coffey and Stanton run out there in late inning situations over and over again when they failed to get results. We have seen many times with Countlangous that he is successful against lefties but struggles from time to time but Narron puts him in there for innings at times and he gets lit up. Relief pitchers are successful in situations they have comfort in. A pitcher who is pitching in a foreign situation doesn't do very good.

rotnoid
06-04-2007, 08:28 AM
#3 is especially annoying for me. He seems to have no semblance of an idea of when a pitcher is off his game. Even if the guy gives you a big hint with 8 straight balls.

I think this is the one that gets me the most too. The guy was a catcher for crying out loud. You'd think he would have some semblance of when a pitcher doesn't have his A game.

redsfan
06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
i can not stand how he tinkers with his lineup every game. How can a hitter get into any kind of rhythm or have confidence if he is hitting leadoff one game then 8th the next.

i am grateful he let his experiment with Dunn hitting second end.

rotnoid
06-04-2007, 09:05 AM

On the contrary, that's one of his successes. Dunn's numbers in the 2 hole have been much better than elsewhere in the lineup. He gets more to hit with 3-4-5 behind him and is not the GIDP threat that other guys (Phillips, for example) are in that hole.

Slyder
06-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Why?

His numbers are better hitting 2nd than basically everywhere else. Like others have said, hes an OBP machine people seeing Griffey behind him should get him more pitches to hit, and he's got servicable speed to where if a pitcher isnt paying attention Dunn will swip a base and get himself into scoring position for Griffey, Hamilton, Phillips, whoevers hitting 3-5.