PDA

View Full Version : If Griffey goes to Braves?

Jim Fazio
06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
If Griffey goes to the Braves, who should the Reds get in return?

Jr's Boy
06-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Where did this information come from?

pokeyfan
06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Rafael Soriano! He would be our closer for many many years, and one of the best in baseball.

jmble
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't think there is any rumors about Griffey to the Braves yet, but it is well known that Griffey has a no trade clause and that The Braves are one of the teams he would definitely waive his no trade clause for.

jmble
06-08-2007, 03:21 PM
To answer the question tough, I'd ask for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Braves would probably say no, but that's where I'd start.

I realize that we just drafted a catcher in the first round, but I'd say we have at least three or four years before he's even talked about as major league ready. I don't think I can stand having Ross, Moeller, Valentin for the next three to four years.

klw
06-08-2007, 05:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2896288
I think this is the starting point for the discussion.

KEN GRIFFEY JR./ADAM DUNN
We're not sure it's even possible to fall out of the NL Central race. But the Reds have given it a try, by losing 25 of their last 34 games. If that full gainer continues for another few weeks, then get ready for the birds of prey to start circling over these two guys. An official of one team that inquired about Griffey says Griffey has informed the Reds he won't oppose a trade "in the right scenario." But outside of the Braves, a club he has told friends for years he'd go to, it's tough to say what he'd consider "the right scenario." So most clubs we've canvassed think the Reds are more likely to move Dunn, who is kind of their version of Teixeira, minus the Boras factor. The difference is that while Dunn wouldn't be a free agent until 2009 if he stays in Cincinnati, a trade would void his 2008 option year, allow him to hit the market this winter and make him strictly a half-year rent-a-player. So the price tag can't be as steep as Teixeira's.

ED44
06-11-2007, 12:16 AM
To answer the question tough, I'd ask for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Braves would probably say no, but that's where I'd start.

I realize that we just drafted a catcher in the first round, but I'd say we have at least three or four years before he's even talked about as major league ready. I don't think I can stand having Ross, Moeller, Valentin for the next three to four years.

I think we both agree that Salty wouldn't come back our way, but with him now up in the majors and hitting the ball well, how about Brian McCann?

Not necessarlily for Jr, but in general. The Reds are in need of an upgrade behind the plate and McCann could be expendable. What would it take to potentialy pry him away?

jfleur87
06-11-2007, 12:30 AM
if junior goes to the Braves, I'll become a Braves fan, and that might be the worst thing that could happen

REDblooded
06-11-2007, 06:44 AM
I'd start with an offer of Griffey/Stubbs/Cuetto for Saltalamacchia/Soriano, and see what happens

HokieRed
06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Let's see: a 38 year old outfielder, a Low-A Ball .255 hitter, and a pitcher from high A for one of the top five rookie/prospects in baseball and a guy who looks like a lights-out closer. Do the Braves improve themselves with this trade even for this year? They need at least one starting pitcher, probably two, and if they give up Soriano, they need a reliever--and he's no ordinary reliever. If they make the trade REDblooded proposes (and I wish they would!), they become worse this year and for several years to come. Schuerholz does not have a history of making that kind of mistake.

jmble
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Good call Ed. I was so wrapped up in the thought of having Saltalamacchia that I forgot they have an all star in McCann with nowhere to play when Salt starts playing full time. My question, I know McCann is a decent hitter. How's his fielding? Is he a total package or a reincarnation of someone like Eddie Taubensee who is only in the lineup because of his bat....

Having said that, I don't think Griffey is going to be traded. I thought about this over the weekend, and Gregg Doyell just brought it up on his show this morning also. Would the Reds have put up the Griffey home run counter if they planned on trading him in the next month? I think he's going to be hitting number 600 as a red for better or worse.

If anyone is going, I think it's going to be Dunn.

REDblooded
06-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Stubbs is STILL a highly regarded prospect, and despite how you portray it, he does have good value. Cueto also has good value as a young pitcher with strong upside.

REDblooded
06-11-2007, 10:14 AM
and the thought of them moving McCann is doubtful after they wrapped him up with a contract extension this spring.

AdamDunn
06-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Griffey for Elvis Audrus or Joey Devine

1) Elvis has potential and is young. However, he's done jack squat in the minors.
2) Joey Devine is a closer in the minors. Could help out soon.

HokieRed
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Trading major leaguers for A ball prospects is how bad organizations are made.

Z-Fly
06-11-2007, 12:58 PM

got any proof?

keeganbrick
06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Griffey for Elvis Audrus or Joey Devine

1) Elvis has potential and is young. However, he's done jack squat in the minors.
2) Joey Devine is a closer in the minors. Could help out soon.

Yea, I see no way they would give up Salty or Soriano for Griffey. Andrus is still only like 18 though and could be the SS of the future. I def wouldnt mind this deal.

AmarilloRed
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I couldnt see us trading Griffey or Dunn unless we got a couple of major-league ready prospects.

mound_patrol
06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
The trading Jr. idea is tough for me. I think he's still a great hitter, but his defense is falling fast. He's also getting older and his tradeability is probably never going to be higher than it will be these next couple months. But with the Reds suckitude he's one of the few reasons fans will come out to the ballpark. So, do the Reds trade a fan favorite for the future, or do we hold onto griffey for the remainder of his contract to put fans in seats for his HR's. I think everyone knows which way the Reds go.

If the Reds do trade with the Braves it would be a huge boost if we could get one of their two catchers.

JLB5
06-11-2007, 02:10 PM
The Braves inked McCann to a LTC, so I doubt he is going anywhere. He's a little banged up right now, so Salty is getting some ABs. Thorman is struggling so Salty should also see plenty of time at 1B. I'd think with their commitment to McCann, they will consider offers for Salty but it will probably take more than the Reds are willing to give to pry him loose.

mole44
06-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Tell that to the Indians

thatcoolguy_22
06-11-2007, 04:46 PM
how about this:

griffey
Carlos Fisher
Todd Coffey

for

saltalamacchia
mike gonzalez

REDblooded
06-11-2007, 05:20 PM
You know, as much as I would hate to see the Reds move Votto, with the Braves needing first base help.

Votto
Griffey
cueto/fisher/lohse/dumatrait

for

Saltalamacchia
Soriano

is another deal I could see working

JLB5
06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
You know, as much as I would hate to see the Reds move Votto, with the Braves needing first base help.

Votto
Griffey

for

Saltalamacchia
Soriano

I don't think the Braves are going to give up Soriano or Mike Gonzalez. They realize the importance of a strong BP and that is why they dealt LaRoche for Gonzalez in the first place. If the Reds get pitching, it will be prospects. I think to get Salty they will probably have to give up Lohse and a maybe even a BP arm... a Stanton homecoming might be nice. Now if you can get a 3rd team like Boston involved, you might see the Reds get a stack of prospects with Andrew Jones going to Boston and Crisp to Atlanta. That could help ease some salary. I think the Braves would be more interested in a deal that involved Bronson and Griffey/Dunn. I think Salty's value is higher now than a few weeks ago and will continue to increase as he demonstrates the ability to hit big league pitching.

reds44
06-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Votto
Griffey

for

Saltalamacchia
Soriano

No way I do that deal. Loshe and Griffey for Saltalamacchia and maybe a prospect.

REDblooded
06-11-2007, 06:51 PM
So you wouldn't take a stud young catcher, and a stud young closer for Griffey, a solid prospect, and a good young pitcher, who we now have a healthy crop of in the minors?

Two of the most pivotal positions on a baseball team for 2 good bats who are defensive liabilities, and a replaceable arm? Interesting. Ecspecially when you consider that Dunn could potentially land you a young replacement at first.

REDblooded
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
to add to that, THAT deal would shore up the Reds two greatest weaknesses. How could you not pull the trigger on that?

Chi-Town Red
06-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Griffey can push for a trade if he so chooses
home run counter or not i think he wants a
ring and will welcome a trade to the right team

HokieRed
06-11-2007, 10:35 PM
What have the Indians won? Did I miss something?

fadetoblack2880
06-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Griffey for minor leaguers of any level would be another two years of "rebuilding". Trade Griffey for major league players. Griffey for McCann wouldn't be so bad as long as the Reds also get a reliever in return. Cincinnati needs a catcher that can hit at least .200 and they don't have that in Ross. Valentin, apparently, is too valuable off the bench and Moeller is no better than Ross.

HokieRed
06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Atlanta's #4 starter had a 5.31 ERA last I looked. They have no steady #5. Bullpen has been their weak spot for 15 years and they've finally got it shored up. IMHO, their first move is going to be for a starter and I do not see them trading anyone from their bullpen.

George Foster
06-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Griff for Kelly Johnson straight up, and we'll pay 1/2 of Griff's salary.:thumbup:

thatcoolguy_22
06-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Griff for Kelly Johnson straight up, and we'll pay 1/2 of Griff's salary.:thumbup:

I wouldn't do it. I would rather just have BP play 2nd and do a deal with griffey (us with this seasons entire salary) and lohse for saltalmaccia and a mid tier prospect. This would give the Braves a legitimate #4 SP and we will have our catcher for the next decade or so

captain11
06-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I know the trade rumors are starting to fly. I think the Reds need to look at getting a closer. We have guys like Hopper, Freel, and even a guy like Wise that have far more tools than Dunn, plus our bullpen is the main reason why we are where were at. A closer would allow Weathers to move to the 7th or 8th inning and would be a start in improving the worst part of this team.

bucksfan2
06-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I know the trade rumors are starting to fly. I think the Reds need to look at getting a closer. We have guys like Hopper, Freel, and even a guy like Wise that have far more tools than Dunn, plus our bullpen is the main reason why we are where were at. A closer would allow Weathers to move to the 7th or 8th inning and would be a start in improving the worst part of this team.

Hopper, Freel and Wise have more tools than Dunn????? Please explain.

bounty37h
06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Aaron, gotta be for Aaron!!

mound_patrol
06-12-2007, 02:16 PM

if you combine the three players they have more tools than Dunn. Well maybe. If all three players played the whole year they still couldnt combine to have as many Rbis or Hr's as Dunn.

keeganbrick
06-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Cmon man Wise is an absolute stud in AA, in AAA....not so much.

mound_patrol
06-12-2007, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=captain11;1381797]We have guys like Hopper, Freel, and even a guy like Wise that have far more tools than Dunn.QUOTE]

It's comments like this that totally ruin any point you are trying to make, no matter how good the rest of a post may be. This comment also screams that it is an opinion that is not based on actual facts. Everyone has opinions and that's fine, but don't throw out extreme things like that, that even the worst Dunn hater can't even agree on.