PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else as happy as me to see the Griffey home run board back up again?

uks2h
06-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I've been awaiting this for quite some time now.

This is such a historic time in baseball. Sosa and Griffey closing in on 600 as Bonds breaks Aaron's career record. If all 3 things happen, is there any other year so much has happened in the home run category as far as the career record goes?

camisadelgolf
06-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure. That brings up a good point, though. These are three, very historical moments, and the homerun hype is arguably lower than ever. It's very interesting.

UC_Ken
06-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Yes, and I think they should have had a board up since he was chasing 500. I'd actually like to see a board of the top 10 somewhere so you can see where he stands and who he'll track down next. I think a lot of the 8-12 year olds who go to the games never saw the great Griffey who played in Seattle and seeing the all time HR board would help them understand how special he is.

Chi-Town Red
06-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I have no problem with it
hope he gets to 660(Mays)
before he leaves the Reds

cincrazy
06-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Griffey reaching 600 this season would be a blessing for MLB. In a year where guys like Sosa and Bonds, who are suspected to have cheated to reach this point, it would be great for a guy like Griffey to also reach an important milestone, showing that it CAN be done the right way. I hesitate in saying this, because every time I utter this phrase, disaster strikes. However, ladies and gentlemen: The Kid is back.

harangatang
06-11-2007, 12:04 AM
A steroid free player reaching the 600 home run plateau is a great thing for baseball. The best thing is that it's happening in a Reds uniform.

robmadden1
06-11-2007, 12:08 AM
I found it funny when he hit 578 and the person that put the numbers up did not put them in the right order and it read 575 lol. Everyone started chanting 578 untill they held up the 8 and changed the 4 to a 8 lol.

rotnoid
06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Yes, and I think they should have had a board up since he was chasing 500. I'd actually like to see a board of the top 10 somewhere so you can see where he stands and who he'll track down next. I think a lot of the 8-12 year olds who go to the games never saw the great Griffey who played in Seattle and seeing the all time HR board would help them understand how special he is.

They had that at old Busch when McGwire was climbing the list. It was pretty cool to see them change the order as he moved up. It would be even sweeter to see it for a clean player in a Reds uni.

UC_Ken
06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I have to admit St. Louis is where I got that idea from. Don't know why it was a good idea there and isn't a good idea here.

rotnoid
06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
It might simply be a matter of available space. St. Louis had that whole upper deck area next to the flags of the retired numbers. There really aren't that many areas that big that are empty at GABP. The only place I can even imagine something like that going is where the Vern Ruhle tribute is now.

44Magnum
06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I hope they have to take it down due to Jr. being traded. That along with a trade of Dunn would make me very happy.

fisch11
06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
The countdown is always something nice for fans to get excited about. When he is healthy and on his game, homeruns always come in bunches for Jr. He brings excitement to the game, and reminds fans that through all the steroid speculation in baseball today, that there is a right way to play the game. It also calms me with all of the annual swirling trade rumors revolving Jr. as well. Griffey won't be dealt because he puts fans in the seats at times like this. He is having the best year since he became a Red, next to his comback player of the year season two years ago.

Also, at the Indians game Saturday I almost flipped when the stadium staff put 575 up after Jr.'s 578th homerun! I got a good laugh out of it but I was like, "He's never gonna reach 600 at that pace!"

bounty37h
06-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I hope they have to take it down due to Jr. being traded. That along with a trade of Dunn would make me very happy.

I hope that desire is to see Griffey have an opportunity at a winner, and not a dig at Ken. If it is a dig, I hope you go with him wherever, and dont come back.

UC_Ken
06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Only trade Griffey if he asks for it. With his age and only having a couple years left we won't get any conerstone prospects in return. I'd rather watch him finish his HOF career right here than trade him for some middle of the road prospects, he's the #1 thing that keeps me tuning in every night this season.

Now if he comes to you and says he wants the opportunity to win a championship somewhere else they owe it to him and the game to get it done.