PDA

View Full Version : Reds Should Cut Their Losses With Majewski

major harris
06-10-2007, 12:10 PM
:bang::bang::bang:

This guy doesn't have major league stuff. Injured or not...lets cut our losses or just endure losses. I am so distraught.

Degenerate39
06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I really don't blame him for that home run last night. I forget who the batter was but Majewski really did strike him out 3 times but the ump was blind as a bat.

captainmorgan07
06-10-2007, 12:14 PM
i agree with degenrate10. Those pitches were strikes or close enough to them i do no kno how delucci did not swing. Let's remember he's only a year removed from being injured give him time. You just can't throw the guy away after what we traded for him.

Lockdwn11
06-10-2007, 12:41 PM
:bang::bang::bang:

This guy doesn't have major league stuff. Injured or not...lets cut our losses or just endure losses. I am so distraught.

Majewski put up some good MLB # before comming to the Reds let see if he can get back to that.Like captainmorgan07 said he is still getting over his injury give him some time.

HokieRed
06-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't agree that he doesn't have major league stuff. I don't know quite what the problem is, but I did watch closely his first outing after he came back from Louisville. That inning he was throwing 94, what I think was probably a two-seam cut fastball, and moving it way in on right handers. That's major league stuff.

Chi-Town Red
06-10-2007, 01:40 PM
When i cringe when i see who's coming in from the bullpen
thats when we need to cut a guy loose. Of course that
wont happen because WK will make sure of it. Whatever
his stuff is or is not, can he get batters out? Thats all that
matters. The answer is NO

redsfanmia
06-10-2007, 01:44 PM
He will be ok, he is throwing harder than he did all of last year so its just a matter of location. Last night he was being squeezed and thats what caused the HR.

captainmorgan07
06-10-2007, 01:44 PM
well 2 nites ago he got big double play last nite he should of struck out delucci so i'd say he can get a few guys out

Homer Bailey
06-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Why cut him loose? It's not like we have that much coming up behind him, and its not like we have anything to play for this season. He was an expensive get, lets see if he pans out in the long run.

Chi-Town Red
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
well 2 nites ago he got big double play last nite he should of struck out delucci so i'd say he can get a few guys out
should have, could have, would have..the guy hit a 2 run bomb
Maj lost the game...yea they should have been strikes i agree,
but the end result was a 2 run game tying home run :bang:

SMcGavin
06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Why cut him loose? It's not like we have that much coming up behind him, and its not like we have anything to play for this season. He was an expensive get, lets see if he pans out in the long run.

Exactly. At this point 2007 is basically a trial season to find out who we can count on going into next year.

HokieRed
06-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Not sure I'd write off 2007 yet, as improbable as that sounds. This division is not very good, just like last year--something that made Krivsky and others think we had a chance, which, in fact, we did, even though the club was not very good. There are slow but steady signs of improvement in this team lately, and right now a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, Bailey, Belisle is pretty good. The bullpen too is getting a little better. The process is slow and painful but the improvement is real. I think you keep Majewski because he's got wicked stuff. It's just a matter of time with him, IMHO.

redsupport
06-10-2007, 05:56 PM
yeah just a matter of time, why in the next eon he should be fine

He got it!
06-10-2007, 06:01 PM
My confidence in McBeth on the mound > Majewski on the mound.

McBeth's confidence in himself to get MLB hitters out > than Majewski's self confidence.

Not to be negative, but it just looks like he is expecting to get tatooed out there. I have never seen a less confident pitcher on the mound as far as his demeanor.

NorrisHopper30
06-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I can't believe some of you guys...get rid of him because he just got back from an injury and he doesn't have major league stuff? Give him a few weeks, sheesh...always find a way to complain. Also he has been getting picked on by the umps last 2 games.

He had a sub 3 era in 04..that is major league material. =

redsupport
06-10-2007, 06:34 PM
good point, he is great, the rest of the league is envious of our natural resource in majewski

Chi-Town Red
06-10-2007, 07:08 PM
lets see if he can get a 1,2,3 inning without a walk or hit or run
might be awhile

StrikeIndicator
06-10-2007, 11:42 PM
i agree with degenrate10. Those pitches were strikes or close enough to them i do no kno how delucci did not swing. Let's remember he's only a year removed from being injured give him time. You just can't throw the guy away after what we traded for him.

Forget about what we traded, as Ted Kennedy has said many times over, that is water under the bridge, bridge? what bridge?

He had an injury that in its mild form takes less than 5 months to rehab and be back to normal.

He should be healed by now.
If he is not, then it is only a matter of time before his shoulder blows up and his is out for 6-9 months or forever.
More likely, this is as good as he is going to get. What you see is what you get, and it is not going to get the job done at this level of play.

I have had that injury, had it surgically repaired and endured the rigorous rehab.

I agree with those who say cut him loose. It may even put some teeth into the contention and filing that we got damaged goods in the trade. As long as he is being used in the ML rotation how can you squawk? If you release him and no one else picks him up, then :beerme:

AmarilloRed
06-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Lets not give up on him yet. It is possible he could turn thing around and become a quality pitcher for the Reds. 2007 will not be our year, so we should see how all our relievers perform over the year. If it becomes clear he has absolutely nothing left, we should release him. It takes a lot for a reliever to be released by a team as desperate for relief pitching as the Reds are.

JLB5
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Majewski definitely has major league stuff. He throws in the low 90's with movement. With his injury last season, he really hasn't thrown at the ML level in a year. He got very little work in the spring. He was just starting to build strength and come back to form when his sister died and he went almost another 2 weeks without throwing. He was supposed to stay in L'Ville until he was able to throw on back-to-back days... he never did. He was scheduled to do so, but they called him up instead. I'm not making excuses for the guy, but most players under those circumstances are going to be a bit rusty. In all fairness, Coffey should be holding his own and Majewski should have had a little more time at AAA to build his strength.

That Dellucci at bat the other night was rough. I won't say all three of those pitches were strikes, but the back door slider he threw was clearly a strike and a pretty wicked pitch. Dellucci fouled of a number of pitches in that AB too. I said to my wife it was really bad that he had to throw that many pitches to the same batter, because he was bound to hit one.

Cutting Majewski is just a plain bad idea. I wouldn't mind seeing him go in a package deal later this year. I think he can be fine once he gets his feet back under him, but the perception of "The Trade" will dog him as long as he is in this town (as if it's somehow his fault he got traded here).

RedsFanInMD
06-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Majewski seems to have been snake-bit since the trade. He's given up a number of base hits that narrowly missed being outs. It could be a situation in which it just wasn't meant to be for him in Cinci -- and he goes somewhere else and rejuvenates his career. Or, it could be that he pitches himself out of this mess and winds up being the pitcher that WK really thought he was trading to get. Considering what we gave up to get him, I would spend at least a little more time making sure that the latter is not the case before just getting rid of him.

I agree with someone who made the comment that his confidence appears shot. I think JN intensifies that by always bringing him into tight situations. Instead, I'd like to see how he performs for a while in non-pressure situations, where we are way ahead or way behind -- and see if this helps with the confidence situation. If he can get out of this run of bad luck and regain his swagger, then he could prove to be an important piece to the bullpen after all.

ChatterRed
06-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I agree. Give him time. He needs his confidence back. He has had a hard ride the past 12 months along with being injured. He's got the stuff. He just needs to grab command of it and find himself.

captainmorgan07
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
the last couple outings he's had good stuff he's just been getting squeezed alot by the umps. I'd rather have him in my bullpen than some of the other guys we have ran threw here through the years.

jhiller21
06-12-2007, 01:19 AM
At this point it's become an extended spring training. Let Majewski pitch 50-60 innings, and we'll see what we get next year. He's throwing 91-93 with pretty good movement, and a sharp breaking ball.

In this bullpen that's the second coming of christ. Give him the rest of the season in relief work, and we'll see where we stand in '08.

reds44
06-12-2007, 02:07 AM
He relied on good defense and a pitcher's park in Washington to make him what he was. We don't have a pitchers park, and we don't play good defense.

He puts way too many guys on base, and relies on luck to get out of it.

Even in his one good year in Washington when he posted a 2.93 ERA, he put 117 guys on base in 86 innings. That's not good.

In the end, he's not a very good reliever,and he's probably the Reds 2nd worst option out of the bullpen right now.

DTCromer
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
As I've said before, why are we giving Coffey 2 months and no one is giving GM 2-3 weeks?

I didn't realize people wanted him to fail this bad so they can say they were "right" about "The Trade."

DontCopyMe
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm all for giving him time, with the exception of trading him to get Kearns back. Then it would reduce the impact of "The trade" to Lopez for Bray... which I'm all for. But that would never happen.

Kradokk
06-14-2007, 03:09 PM
While realistically, it makes little sense to believe the Reds are trying to lose games, the use of Majewski has me kind of baffled. He has done nothing this season to prove that he has the ability to get 3 outs with 2 men on. I just dont understand the thinking behind it all. Either Narron is really THAT bad at bullpen management, or there is something else behind using majewski.

I realize that Majewski will always be the dog that people kick, regardless of his performance, because of his involvement in "the trade".

I would imagine the silver lining behind this is the hope that we can shelve him for a while, adding legitimacy to our "damaged" claim with Washington and hope the dice fall in our favor.

Redus
06-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Its time for Wayne to admit he was fleeced and drop majic. He plain out sucks.

StrikeIndicator
06-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I have been saying for weeks that the best thing to do is to DFA him. If you keep him in the pen and keep bringing him out ahead of rookies, then you are saying to the world that you think he can still pitch better than anything else you have.

I would say again, that it is time to cut him loose, but I'm afraid he will be on the rooster until Eddie G is called back up

I have just jumped on the "It's all Jerry's fault bandwagon

redsupport
06-14-2007, 04:38 PM
majewski is the man, can you imagine how many games the reds wouldhave won with donnelly or shields?

topsyt
06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
I think it has already been proven before today that he is damaged. His appearance today was-well-insanity!

NastyBoy
06-14-2007, 04:44 PM
This is like a really bad fantasy baseball trade by a first time fantasy owner.

fielder's choice
06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
We are definitely proving he sucks.

UPRedsFan
06-14-2007, 04:52 PM
5.2 innings, 16 hits!! and 10 ER!!

I'd say that's enough so Bowden can't dispute the damaged goods argument.

DFA him now. He's proven he can't be relied on. At this rate there's no way he'll help bring anything back in a trade. He doesn't figure into future plans. It's time to cut bait and bring Salmon back until Eddie's ready.

reds44
06-14-2007, 04:57 PM
The trade hasn't worked for either team. It's not just the Reds who are unahppy with the trade, I would bet. Lets look at the numbers of the main guys in the trade:

Felipe Lopez
2006 with Reds: .268/.355/.394, 23 SBs
Now, he went over to Wasnington last year and put up good numbers. However look what he is doing this year/

2007: .232./.284/.338
To be quiet honest with you, on a lot of team Lopez would have lost his starting job. He has been brutal this year:

Austin Kearns
2006 w/ Reds: .274/.350/.492
He was great underapreciated with the Reds in 2006. He was putting together a great year before the trade. He went over to Washington and put up decent numbers, but was nothing special.

2007: .256/.320/.390
A RF OPSing .710 is bad. The spacious RFK has limited his power, and he and Lopez have been dissapointed for the Nationals.

Gary Majewski
2006 w/ Nationals: 55.1 innings, 3.58 ERA. To be quite frank, RFK was hiding Majewski's flaws. He K'd 34, but walked 25. He put way too many guys on base and it has shown with the Reds.

06 w/Reds: 8.40 ERA
07: 15.88

Bill Bray
06 with Washington: 3.91 ERA
with Reds: 4.23 ERA

I still have alot of hope for Bill Bray. I think he can be a solid reliever when he comes back healthy.

Then, there is the X factor. Brendan Harris. What might have been if the Reds would have kept Harris? For those that don't know, Harris is hitting .313 for the Devil Rays. I think the complaints would be alot fewer if the Reds would have hung onto Harris.

Honestly, if Bray lives up to his potential and Thompson develops into his talent, the Reds could still get the better of this deal.

I wouldn't have done the trade at the time, and looking back I still wouldn't have done it, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Chi-Town Red
06-14-2007, 07:53 PM
5.2 innings pitched...15.88 ERA....
i cant even believe those numbers
speechless !!

cincrazy
06-14-2007, 09:13 PM
I would like to say something, and maybe it's been uttered so far on the board, and if so, I apologize, but:

Let's take it a little easy on Gary Majewski. Is the guy a good pitcher at this point? No. That's a fact. But I feel bad for the guy. His body language today at the game made me feel horrible, and I think the guy could really use some support, as opposed to getting piled on. He CARES, he just can't get it done. What can we do about that?

He's not the one that pulled the trigger on "the trade." He was hurt at the time of the trade, he can't help that either, he TOLD them he was hurt, for crying out loud. He goes out there and gives it his all, but he just doesn't have it anymore. That has to be the worst feeling in the world.

But most importantly, the guy just lost his sister. I couldn't imagine functioning if I lost any of my brother's, let alone being asked to return to work so soon after the fact. I can't imagine what the guy is going through mentally, the kind of demons he must be battling, and my heart goes out to him.

If he was pitching well, he'd be hailed as some kind of hero. But since he's not, he's useless garbage. Ladies and gentlemen, we are all human beings. Look a little deeper, and see how much this man is struggling professionally, but more importantly, personally. Gary, my heart goes out to you, and one day, I hope you return to the pitcher that you once were. Whether that's with the Reds or not is insignificant to me.

Good luck from me, and I hope many of the rest of you.

Cicero
06-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I did feel bad for him as he left the field today. He looked dejected. I knew when he came in we were in trouble. I blame Narron before I blame Majewski.

cincrazy
06-14-2007, 09:39 PM
He truly did look terrible. I've been to many games in my short 22 years, and I don't know if I've ever seen a player so down on himself. It was a look that seemed to go beyond the game of baseball, and being a fan of the Reds aside, I couldn't feel worse for the guy.

Kradokk
06-14-2007, 09:56 PM
I too feel bad for him, but that has nothing to do with his ability as a relief pitcher.

The blame at this point has to fall on Narron and WK. I must admit that Narron has limited options in the pen, and can only use what WK gives him. That said, in this bullpen, outside of Weathers, no one has been able to get it done consistently, and no one can expect Weathers to get 9 outs every night. I know there are 162 games, but this bullpen falls within the realm of insanity... doing the same thing over and over, while expecting a different result.

I really cannot say what I would do right now, were I in Narron's shoes.

ChatterRed
06-15-2007, 01:07 AM
I blame Narron for even thinking about putting him in that situation, MUCH LESS ACTUALLY DOING IT. What an idiot.

cincrazy
06-15-2007, 01:10 AM
What other options does Narron have? Victor Santos? Todd Coffey? Mike Stanton? Any option is a terrible option. I wish we could make this a reality tv show. Be the Reds manager for a month, and see if you can do any better with these options. I'm willing to bet you'd be hard pressed to win a single game with these player's at your disposal, my friend.

Chi-Town Red
06-15-2007, 07:57 AM
feel bad for him? i feel bad as fan, and the whole organization
should feel bad for putting such a terrible product on the field.
If i were a season ticket holder, i would want my money back!!!

T7-niner
06-15-2007, 08:16 AM
feel bad for him? i feel bad as fan, and the whole organization
should feel bad for putting such a terrible product on the field.
If i were a season ticket holder, i would want my money back!!!

Spoken like a true Reds fan.

fielder's choice
06-15-2007, 08:52 AM
What other options does Narron have? Victor Santos? Todd Coffey? Mike Stanton? Any option is a terrible option. I wish we could make this a reality tv show. Be the Reds manager for a month, and see if you can do any better with these options. I'm willing to bet you'd be hard pressed to win a single game with these player's at your disposal, my friend.

McBeth?? As bad as the pen is, anyone would have been a better choice. Majewski is easily the worst of the bunch.

cincrazy
06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
But if McBeth goes out there, then it's, "Oh Narron's an idiot, McBeth's arm is going to fall off, he uses him too much." It's a no-win situation for Narron. I don't agree with every move he's made, I've been hard on him at times, but there's no way I can fault him for yesterday's game.

AmarilloRed
06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I still hope Majewski can turn things around. I think the best thing for Narron to do is start Majewski off slowly, and put him in low-pressure situations. Once he get his confidence up some, then we can put him in important spots.

Jefferson24
09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Majewski just punched his ticket out of Cincy, thank goodness. No way he'll be back.

redsupport
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I cant comment on majewski because the thread gets censored, but Majewski might be the worst pitcher I can remember, and I can remember alot of bad Reds

ChatterRed
09-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Let him pitch in triple AAA until he finds himself next season. He was once a solid relief pitcher. Something has happened, and he needs time to figure it out. Better do it in the minors.

Jack Burton
09-27-2007, 10:08 PM
If we're gonna act like we want to beat the cubs, this guy better not pitch, under any circumstances.

Mutaman
09-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Let him pitch in triple AAA until he finds himself next season. He was once a solid relief pitcher. Something has happened, and he needs time to figure it out. Better do it in the minors.

Pedro Borbon was once a solid relief pitcher too. I'd rather take my chances with Pedro next year. Let Majewski find himself in some other organization.

StrikeIndicator
09-27-2007, 10:52 PM

the better idea is for Wayne to figure out what is wrong.

I will help him.
He cannot pitch at this level at this time in his life. We don't need to know the why, since we already have figured out the WHAT.
the WHY is immaterial.
:thumbdown
The only WHY that should be asked at this point is WHY Wayne did not DFA him the same day the Reds filed their greivance with the league alledging damaged goods.
:thumbdown

The Astro's (who this morning had a worse record than the Reds)
hit 600 against him tonight with an OBS of 666 (3 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk and one strike out) So, his 333 against lefties and 408 against righties is going to be even higher tomorrow. quick results
stats are now 333 and 420

For the last month he has averaged 2 earned runs for every K.

AmarilloRed
09-28-2007, 12:38 AM
This may be the end of the line for Majewski. There was a chance the Reds might keep him around, if he could have shown he had improved. I would imagine he would not be offered arbitration by the Reds, and that hurts because I earlier created a really nice thread about Majewski when he was playing well.