PDA

View Full Version : Dunn vs. Griffey

ChatterRed
06-11-2007, 09:52 PM
For all the defending of Dunn, here is the difference in the two of them.

In roughly the same amount of at bats, Dunn has 89 K's and Griffey has 29 K's. All other numbers are about equal except Junior has a far better batting average than Dunn.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. How do you like them apples? :mooner:

Crumbley
06-11-2007, 10:09 PM

In roughly the same amount of at bats, Dunn has 89 K's and Griffey has 29 K's. All other numbers are about equal except Junior has a far better batting average than Dunn.

Might as well close the forum down, no further discussion is needed. ChatterRed has owned us all.

Degenerate39
06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Who ever said Dunn was better than Griffey?

big boy
06-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Yeah...like what is the point and stuff?

HumnHilghtFreel
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Their IsoOBP's are almost the same though.

Dunn's comes in at .096 while Griffey's is at .101, both of which are pretty good.

mound_patrol
06-11-2007, 10:54 PM

What a mature post. Grow up buddy. This forum is for reds discussion, not this crap. No one is argueing that Griffey is a great player. When griffey is healthy he can swing it with anyone.

boognish
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Griffey's resurgence at age 37 has been remarkable. HumnHilghtFreel brought up the point of Isolated discipline, and I thought I'd chime in. Griffey's patience took a nosedive last season, and I was among those clamoring to move him out of the 3 hole. This season, he has turned it around in a big way:

2004: 348 PA .253/.351/.513 IsoD: .098 Iso: .260 PA/BB: 7.91 P/PA: 3.90
2005: 555 PA .301/.369/.576 IsoD: .068 Iso: .275 PA/BB: 10.28 P/PA: 3.79
2006: 472 PA .252/.316/.486 IsoD: .064 Iso: .234 PA/BB: 12.11 P/PA: 3.69
2007: 239 PA .284/.385/.552 IsoD: .099 Iso: .268 PA/BB: 6.83 P/PA: 4.03

Bottom line: Griffey has lost no power with age, and if he can continue the upturn in plate discipline, he should continue to be a productive middle of the order hitter as he ages...if he stays healthy.

captain11
06-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I will admit that I am the first to watch when Dunn comes to the plate because you never know when he is going to hit one to Kentucky, but the fact is he only is a one or two tool player. We either have to be willing to let him hit down in the sixth hole and hit his 40 HRs or we have to look to deal him for a longtime closer.

nate
06-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Griffey's resurgence at age 37 has been remarkable. HumnHilghtFreel brought up the point of Isolated discipline, and I thought I'd chime in. Griffey's patience took a nosedive last season, and I was among those clamoring to move him out of the 3 hole. This season, he has turned it around in a big way:

2004: 348 PA .253/.351/.513 IsoD: .098 Iso: .260 PA/BB: 7.91 P/PA: 3.90
2005: 555 PA .301/.369/.576 IsoD: .068 Iso: .275 PA/BB: 10.28 P/PA: 3.79
2006: 472 PA .252/.316/.486 IsoD: .064 Iso: .234 PA/BB: 12.11 P/PA: 3.69
2007: 239 PA .284/.385/.552 IsoD: .099 Iso: .268 PA/BB: 6.83 P/PA: 4.03

Bottom line: Griffey has lost no power with age, and if he can continue the upturn in plate discipline, he should continue to be a productive middle of the order hitter as he ages...if he stays healthy.

Nice stat work there. That _is_ quite a turn around.

nate
06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I will admit that I am the first to watch when Dunn comes to the plate because you never know when he is going to hit one to Kentucky, but the fact is he only is a one or two tool player. We either have to be willing to let him hit down in the sixth hole and hit his 40 HRs or we have to look to deal him for a longtime closer.

I said it in another thread but I'll say it again here. I don't think that's the argument to make because that one tool is pretty freakin' good.

I think the argument to make is that the tool costs the Reds too much of their budget. We've got the world's greatest hammer but our saw blade is dull, our last drill bit broke and we're out of screws.

AmarilloRed
06-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I have seen a lot of threads suggesting one or both of these players should be traded immediately. I hate to start another similar thread, but no one in the reds lineup has shown similar production. We have seen Hamilton's BA drop from .300 to .250, and he has not shown much power since April. A lot of people thought Encarcion would hit 30 hr, but he has fallen flat on his face. My point is that we simply cannot replace their presence in the lineup. Unless we can get major-league ready prospects who are capable of hitting 30 hrs and batting .270, any and all threads about trading either of these players should cease. We will need both of these players in the short-term. We have no outfielders in our minor-league system who will be ready to take over in less than 2-3 years. I would be interested to hear any ideas on how I'm wrong in this, but for now I don't see how we could replace them in the lineup.Dunn will probably have his option picked up, and with the way Griffey is playing, he could play out his contract and have the option picked up by the Reds at a bargain price.

44Magnum
06-12-2007, 01:52 PM
I say move them both if we can. They help to form the worst defensive outfield in baseball history.

11larkin11
06-12-2007, 02:21 PM
And if they are moved we will have the worst lineup in baseball history.

Degenerate39
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
I say move them both if we can. They help to form the worst defensive outfield in baseball history.

So you'd rather have the worst Offense in basebal history than the worst defenseive outfield?

durl
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I believe it's still too early to say that EE and Hamilton will not be very productive players for the Reds.

Encarnacion has shown power and, after his brief stay in Louisville, has begun to get his BA back up to where it should be. His hitting has never been in question even during his time in Cincy; his fielding (throwing, actually) is his weak spot.

For Hamilton, if he were hitting .250 all year most people would still be talking about how good that would be for a guy who's been out of baseball as long as he has. And those two assists he had this past week (throwing runners out at 1B and at home) show his tremendous value as a fielder. He has TONS of potential and I believe we should be very patient with him.

As for Griffey and Dunn, both have strengths and weaknesses, all of which have been described ad nauseam. Personally, I believe we keep Griffey. He's one of our most productive hitters. As for Dunn, I'd be fine either way. I like the homers, but the strikeouts and lack of production with RISP is disheartening.

AmarilloRed
06-13-2007, 12:38 AM
I would not trade either of them until you can replace their production. No one on the Reds is matching their production, and we have to get someone who will replace their production or this will be 100 times worse thhan the Kearns trade last year. If either of them is traded, it will be clear the Reds are doing a fire sale and in full rebuilding mode.

Gary Redus
06-13-2007, 12:04 PM
You have to consider moving both of them along with Loshe, Weathers, and Stanton.

AmarilloRed
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
The only one I would consider moving is Stanton.I would resign Lohse,and let Griffey play out his contract, and pick up his option. Dunn will have his option picked up, and I might consider trading Dunn next year if we can get proper value for him. Otherwise, Dunn should be signed to a 2-3 year deal. It will be that long before we have prospects come from the minors to replace him. On the other hand, if we use some of Miltons money to sign a Left Fielder in the offseason, it is possible Dunn will not have the option picked up.

eastkyred
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
The only one I would consider moving is Stanton.I would resign Lohse,and let Griffey play out his contract, and pick up his option. Dunn will have his option picked up, and I might consider trading Dunn next year if we can get proper value for him. Otherwise, Dunn should be signed to a 2-3 year deal. It will be that long before we have prospects come from the minors to replace him. On the other hand, if we use some of Miltons money to sign a Left Fielder in the offseason, it is possible Dunn will not have the option picked up.

Milton's money is already spent on current player salary increases for '08. What kind of team are the Reds going to have for the next few years if we do nothing but try to trade Stanton? Are our prospects going to push this team over the hump and make us a championship contender? Why keep a team that is the worst in the NL and just hope they have better luck next year?

AmarilloRed
06-14-2007, 01:38 PM
It is also a team that almost won the division last year. We will not finish as the last in the NL. In our division, we could finish in 2nd easily and maybe win the division. Our starting pitching is pretty good, and our relief pitching is improving.What kind of team will he have if we trade away Griffey and Dunn for marginal prospects?