PDA

View Full Version : Eddie G Update!

ITHIKABAND
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Eddie pitched a hitless inning Monday for the Bats and previously pitched two scoreless innings for The dragons in the last two weeks. Im guessing he'll be back up in the next two or three weeks and we need him! Im very excited, this guy brings us a bonified closer and puts Weathers in the setup role where he belongs. If the Reds can keep stringing together wins we may be able to turn this ship around! Now all we need is to warm up the bats...

StrikeIndicator
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I watched the game, he did not look that sharp and looked like he was comfortable on the mound but did not throw hard

He walked the first batter, 2nd grounded to 3 and they turned a real sweet dp to set up the last guy who struck out.

He did not look nearly as sharp or chrisp with his delivery as Stone did in the 9th

ITHIKABAND
06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Hopefully that changes, we need this guy in a bad way..

podgejeff_
06-13-2007, 12:35 PM
No kidding there.

Reds BP with Everyday Eddie >> than Reds bullpen without.

AmarilloRed
06-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Eddie did a fabulous job as the closer last year. It will helps us tremendously if he is healthy now.

redsfanfalcon
06-13-2007, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't be so fast as to thrust him right into the closer's role. That's usually when they get blasted (a pitcher coming back from rehab) or get hurt again trying to impress. Have him set up for 2-3 weeks, then if it looks good, put him back as the closer.

JLB5
06-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't be so fast as to thrust him right into the closer's role. That's usually when they get blasted (a pitcher coming back from rehab) or get hurt again trying to impress. Have him set up for 2-3 weeks, then if it looks good, put him back as the closer.

He can pitch in the 8th. They need more help there than the closer spot.

captainmorgan07
06-13-2007, 05:33 PM
i will feel so much better with weathers in the 8th and everyday eddie in the 9th

redsfanfalcon
06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
He can pitch in the 8th. They need more help there than the closer spot.

At first until he proves he can pitch up here again, then I would say put Stormy in the 8th and Eddie in the 9th.

UC_Ken
06-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Does anyone else remember Eddie as being extremely lucky last year? He got the job done but he always seemed to put a couple guys on before he shut the door. I think he was pitching hurt but I don't agree that he has to go straight back to the closer's role when healthy. Especially considering if we don't get back into contention we can inflate Weather's save numbers and trade him to a contender looking for a set up guy.

kxblue
06-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Weathers has been great, why should we move him out of the closer role?

Let Eddie setup and prove he is ready.

T7-niner
06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Let Eddie stay down on reassignment until some resemblance of velocity comes back.

He can't come up here throwing in the mid-80's. He'll get murdered, and in a big way. I know people will say, "but, he has great movement." and "he knows how to pitch" and something about a "bulldog mentality."

Well, how did that work out for Paul Wilson?

I'd gladly eat some crow on this, but I just don't see it happening.

boognish
06-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Anyone have some specific news regarding velocity, or the number/% of breaking balls thrown?

I am just asking because Guardado's slider will likely be the last thing to come after his surgery.

mole44
06-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Anyone else think Eddie is done? At his age, with that injury, I just can't seem him coming back and doing well...

reds44
06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Anyone else think Eddie is done? At his age, with that injury, I just can't seem him coming back and doing well...
I'm not going to lie, I'm scared to death he is going to come back and get rocked. He wasn't exactly tearing it up last year before coming here either. I'm more scared then excited.

And btw, he'll go back to back and pitch for Louisville tomorrow night. He's getting close to coming back.

nw_ohio_fan
06-14-2007, 12:59 AM
I am afraid he is done. However maybe he is what the young bullpen needs. I know that when Todd Jones came to Detroit he helped a ton. Eddie may be a bigger help then we all think, he could be a huge leader in the clubhouse.

JLB5
06-14-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm not counting him out just yet. I haven't heard/seen any specifics on his velocity or movement other than the poster who said he saw him and his stuff didn't look as good as Ricky Stone. There are just some guys who can get by with marginal stuff who have those other factors. Todd Jones, David Wells, Greg Maddux are all guys who don't have the greatest stuff anymore but know how to pitch. Eddie is going to have to be that type of pitcher to have any success. I remember watching John Tudor at the end of his career throwing nothing but junk and still almost winning a Cy Young in '85. Rod Beck and Doug Jones had some great success at the end or games and there were times I don't think either could break a pane of glass. Some guys just get it done.

Bill James has postulated that it is best to use your best relief pitcher in the 7th inning or tied or 1 run games, because that is when many games are lost. He basically advocated a closer-by-committee, but as the Red Sox demonstrated, it didn't work well in practice. However, thinking about this and watching Weathers and Todd Jones and their success has got me thinking about this subject. James was onto something that the closer doesn't need to be your "best" pitcher. The Tigers have a great approach, using their guys with "electric stuff" in the 7th and 8th to bridge them to the 9th. The closer needs to be the most consistent reliever and a guy who can handle the mental aspect of that inning. Anyone who's been there will tell you it is different pitching in the 9th than the 8th.

Armando Benitez is a great example of a guy who probably would be better suited to serve the setup role in front of a vet closer who is consistent. Benitez has all the "stuff" in the world, but not the consistency to hold that job on the back end. Pitching in the 7th or 8th, the manager is going to have a better opportunity to give him the hook if he's having one of his off nights. Not that the last part of this discussion has anything to do with Everyday Eddie, but just some thoughts that have been rattling around in my brain couple weeks.

ITHIKABAND
06-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Per WLW the other day Tom was questioning Fay and Fay said we'd most likely see Eddie in Seatle on the 22nd. Its all about Eddie having a few outings two nights in a row then they'll be confident he cn comeback and his projected date is the 22nd. they also said he's throwing in the high 80's but they think that will come up 1 to 2 mph by the time he gets back up. They also said he's lookedd solid so far..

ITHIKABAND
06-16-2007, 01:37 PM
He's also got two innings now with no runs, 4 in his rehab total with no runs scored. I think Eddie is gonna surprise all of you! Think about it If we have Eddie closing the 9th Stormy closes the 8th then the rest of the guys take care of the middle ininngs its gonna work and really help the bullpen situation. Mark my words naysayers, Eddie will turn this bullpen around..

AmarilloRed
06-16-2007, 03:37 PM
He is coming back from injury, but it sounds like he's doing pretty well. Eddie did get himself in jams last year, but he also worked himself out of them. He was the only one last year who really did a good job in the closer role. I would have him work the 8th when he first comes back,and if he does well, I would put him in the closer's role. He is one reliever who likes pressure situations.

cincrazy
06-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't want to see Eddie pitch another inning for the Reds. Let him go, maybe a contender will take a chance on him, and he can help. But on this team, he's useless. This team is clearly developing for next season, an any inning that Guardado takes from a young guy trying to learn is a shame.

I love Guardado, he's a bulldog, and he has a lot of heart, but I'm afraid I just don't see the point in carrying him on this roster. The Reds must do what's in the best interests of the franchise, and throwing an old RP out there who is coming off major surgery in what is clearly a year where we are trying to find out what we have for next year is not in the best interests of the team.

mbgrayson
06-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Fast Eddie was supposed to pitch tonight(Saturday 6/16) for the Bats so he could go two games in a row, but did not pitch.

I wonder if he was tired or what??

durl
06-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't want to see Eddie pitch another inning for the Reds. Let him go, maybe a contender will take a chance on him, and he can help. But on this team, he's useless. This team is clearly developing for next season, an any inning that Guardado takes from a young guy trying to learn is a shame.

Do we have a young closer that's ready for the big leagues? I thought we were a bit lacking in that department.

AmarilloRed
06-17-2007, 12:38 AM
What has he done to not have the closer's role? He got injured last year, and has not done anything to lose the role when he comes back from the injury. I don't see any competition from anyone on this team. Weathers has been a good stopgap, but he will help this team more in the 8th inning.

mbgrayson
06-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Sunday in Rochester, not so good....

Eddie pitched the 9th with the Bats holding a 9-3 lead...not a save situation.

First batter (Feiner, a catcher with a .097 average) hit his first homer of the year to left. Span flew out to center. Casilla doubled to right. Eddie walked Tolbert on five pitches. Moses then singled to left, scoring Casilla. Eddie then was pulled from the game. Jason Kershner got the last two batters.

Fast Eddie threw 19 pitches, ten of them for strikes. Gave up two earned runs and three hits, one walk, and got one out. Maybe not ready just yet....

ITHIKABAND
06-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Ouch lets hope thats not the norm

Jr's Boy
06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=mbgrayson;1387289]Sunday in Rochester, not so good....

Eddie pitched the 9th with the Bats holding a 9-3 lead...not a save situation.

Is it just me ,or do closer's not thrive when put in non save situations?

JLB5
06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Is it just me ,or do closer's not thrive when put in non save situations?

Even more so when on rehab assignment.

mbgrayson
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Monday night in Buffalo: Eddie in in the bottom of the 8th to protect a one run lead.

First batter Andy Marte hits a line drive single to center. Next batter Mike Rose hits a sac bunt back to Eddie; one out. Brad Snyder lines out to left; two outs. Jonathan VanEvery flies out to deep left. Eddie throws ten pitches, 7 for strikes.

Still not exactly an over-powering inning, but no runs. (Bats win 6-5 after Stone throws a scoreless 9th).

JLB5
06-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Monday night in Buffalo: Eddie in in the bottom of the 8th to protect a one run lead.

First batter Andy Marte hits a line drive single to center. Next batter Mike Rose hits a sac bunt back to Eddie; one out. Brad Snyder lines out to left; two outs. Jonathan VanEvery flies out to deep left. Eddie throws ten pitches, 7 for strikes.

Still not exactly an over-powering inning, but no runs. (Bats win 6-5 after Stone throws a scoreless 9th).

I think it was Welsh last night that I heard saying they'd like to see him have some longer outings. He's getting through his innings too quickly. Pitch efficiency isn't always a good thing. ;) I think he'll be up Friday with Gosling going back down.

bounty37h
06-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Eddie had also said he isnt going full velocity, more wokring on his control, and needs to focus more on goign through the motions, said his velocity will hopefully come back around as he continues to work and feel comfortable, and then also work on his repertoire.