PDA

View Full Version : Things overheard in GABP...

CWRed
06-18-2007, 12:42 AM
So my brother and I took in a weekend series and I just wanted to comment on a few things I heard:

Where: In the bathroom.
Said: "How often do we have to see that guy strike out?"
Situation: This was yelled out by a guy in front of me. This after Dunn struck out to end an inning and possible scoring threat.
Details obviously ignored by said fan: Dunn already had 3 hits and 3 RBI's before this at bat. So by all means, crap on Dunn.
P.S. Also heard later in our hotel bar. "All we need to do is trade Griffey and Dunn and I think we'd be alright."

Where:1st base box seat.
Said: "Oh no. Todd Coffey? Oh my God, Coffey is the worst pitcher in the major leagues!"
Situation: By a guy a couple seats away. The Reds were doing their best impersonation of hippies on crack trying to play a baseball game and Coffey is being summoned from the pen to try to get the last couple of outs in the 8th to salvage an 11-4 loss.
Details obviously ignored by said fan: Coffey has a 3.06 ERA over the past 20 games (this was actually on the scoreboard for all to see). Now I'm no huge Coffey fan but he has showed he can be successful when he's allowed to be and not destroyed by Narron's constant mismanagement of the bullpen.

Where: 1st base box seat.
Said: "Man, the Rangers signed Sosa to a minor league contract? Hell, the Reds could have gotten him. Then they'd have Jr. and Sosa in the same outfield!"
Situation: Obviously the fan in front of me had just been struck by lightning and lost track of his senses.
Details obviously ignored by fan: Do I really have to talk about an outfield with these 2 guys in it?

So basically what I heard, except for my new, very intelligent RedZone friends, was a lot of booing of Dunn, indifference to EE, and this...when I couldn't take it any more: I yelled "Juan Castro is the worst player in the major leagues!" This after he made one of the most boneheaded, unnecessary plays I've ever seen; when he flipped the ball past Gonzo on a sure double play. So in response what did I hear? Crickets. But Adam Dunn gets booed?

Am I missing something here people? I think not. There are many problems with this team. Too many people bark up the wrong tree on who the culprits are.

And lastly because I can't help myself...Jerry Narron's first pinch hit options off the bench are, a majority of the time, Chad Moeller and Juan Castro. I can speak no more. :bang:

reds44
06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
On Friday night I counted the amount of breaking ball's Coffey threw for strikes in his inning plus of work.

The final tally: 1

nate
06-18-2007, 06:57 AM
That's ridiculous.

Hippies don't smoke crack.

adampad
06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Those sound like fans I could get along with.

CRedsLarkin11
06-18-2007, 12:10 PM
When the team is playing bad this sort of thing is going to happen.(Sometimes even when things are going well) It doesn't really matter where you go, you are going to hear these sort of conversations at ball games. LOL hell, sometimes you'll even hear them in my living room if it gets too bad

Red in Atl
06-18-2007, 12:29 PM
That's ridiculous.

Exactly!!!;)

CWRed
06-18-2007, 12:29 PM
That's ridiculous.

They would if they saw the game Sunday! ;)

big boy
06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Said: "Man, the Rangers signed Sosa to a minor league contract? Hell, the Reds could have gotten him. Then they'd have Jr. and Sosa in the same outfield!"

This doesn't seem so far fetched. Compare Dunn to Sosa. Dunn has more home runs and runs scored. Sosa is no worse than Dunn in the outfield. Perhaps Jr. could play left field instead of right. Sosa's production costs 1 mil while Dunn's production costs 9 mil. Assume Kriv would have received something decent for Dunn like a #3 starter and a prospect. Now assume they used the 8 million and signed Gagne to be the closer. Now you're looking at Sosa, Gagne, #3 starter, and a prospect instead of Dunn. Not too shabby.

CWRed
06-19-2007, 11:21 AM
This doesn't seem so far fetched. Compare Dunn to Sosa. Dunn has more home runs and runs scored. Sosa is no worse than Dunn in the outfield. Perhaps Jr. could play left field instead of right. Sosa's production costs 1 mil while Dunn's production costs 9 mil. Assume Kriv would have received something decent for Dunn like a #3 starter and a prospect. Now assume they used the 8 million and signed Gagne to be the closer. Now you're looking at Sosa, Gagne, #3 starter, and a prospect instead of Dunn. Not too shabby.

Seems like a good idea when you put it like that. Except for the fact that Sosa is about the worst outfielder in baseball. Dunn is average. it's been proven on this board a million times. Griffey's range is awful too. So Jr. in left and Sosa in right? Brutal. Simply brutal. Yes, Sosa still can hit a little. But his OBP is .303. Dunn's is .360. Sosa is a bargain for the Rangers this year, true. But the Reds do not need him. Give me Dunn 7 times a week and twice on Tuesday.

rotnoid
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
On Friday night I counted the amount of breaking ball's Coffey threw for strikes in his inning plus of work.

The final tally: 1

Just because they didn't break doesn't mean he didn't throw them. ;)

donnelly_31
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Coffey might have a low era the last 20 games but what % of inherited runners have scored? I don't know the answer but it seems like when he comes in with runners on base they score quite a bit

ChatterRed
06-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Coffey puts me to sleep.