PDA

View Full Version : Griffey not asking for a trade

Degenerate39
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. has made no secret about his desire to win a World Series ring.

Even though it looks like the Reds have no chance of getting there this year, Griffey said he won't ask to be moved to a team in contention.

"I don't even think about that," he said. "That's the furthest thing from my mind."

Griffey's name has been mentioned in trade rumors. He's having a very good year - .287, 18 home runs, 43 RBI.

If the Reds were to trade Griffey, they would have to get his permission. He's a 10-and-5 player - 10-year veteran, five with the same club - and thereby can veto any trade.

"I'll cross that bridge when I have to," he said. "It's a matter of trying to do what I can for this team. I can't control what happens upstairs.

"I'm employee No. 3."

Griffey says he's tried to not let the losing get him down.

"I don't really think that," he said. "Losing is not fun. I obviously don't like it. (But) every game, something good happens. You try to build on that.

"Nobody thought we'd be in the position we're in. It's up to everyone in here not to try to do more than you're capable of.

"It's not a lack of effort."

George Anderson
06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I love the Reds but if I was in Griffey's shoes I would basically plead and beg the Reds to trade me to a contender. Griffey will no doubt be a first ballot Hall of Famer, but his legacy will be forever stained by the fact he never got to play in a World Series. I like Griffey way to much to see him become this generations Ernie Banks.

reds44
06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I think Griffey's opinon could change if they deal Dunn. The two (and Kearns) are really good buddies.

redsfanmia
06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
I think Griffey's opinon could change if they deal Dunn. The two (and Kearns) are really good buddies.

Griffey is a professional and knows that ultimately its a business he isnt going to demand a deal because Dunn is traded.

Degenerate39
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Griffey won't ask for trade
Monday, Jun 18, 2007 3:00 pm EDT

Though he makes no secret of his desire to win a World Series ring, Ken Griffey Jr. says he has no intention of asking the Cincinnati Reds to trade him.

The outfielder has been mentioned in trade rumors. As a 10-and-5 guy, he has the right to veto any deal on the table.

I(heart)Freel
06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
If true, this report is pretty huge. Junior could just be toeing the party line and really IS talking to the FO about his desire to win a ring, but this is huge that he's at least saying publicly that he's not asking for a trade.

Why?

Let's all think back to February 2000 when the Reds got Junior. He was demanding a trade, and it got so bad between him and Gillick that he actually said publicly, I'm only going to Cincinnati. How does the FO have any leverage with a trading partner when that's common knowledge?

I like Junior and really want to see him hit some milestones with him in a Reds uniform. For me, it's going to be the only thing to get me through the rest of this lost season and possibly next as we retool again.

But I also would love to see him go win his ring and take his place among baseball royalty. Maybe closer to the deadline he'll have a better idea of contenders and would start talking - quietly! - to Krivsky about teams he might like.

bounty37h
06-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I (heart) freel, man, i feel like you write posts for me sometimes (only you word it better then I do), I agree 100% with this post! I am so torn on Griff, love him as a Red, and selfishly want him to stay here to the end, but the other part of me wants him to get a ring, or at least even a chance for one. I like that it can be his decision in this instance, and wil be happy and remain a fan which ever way he chooses.