PDA

View Full Version : Will Joey Votto come up and force Hatteburg to the bench?

AmarilloRed
06-19-2007, 01:03 AM
From all accounts, it seems that Joey Votto is tearing up AAA baseball. It seems only a matter of time before he comes up. The only question is, where will he play? He has played both 1st base and Left field, and currently we have players in both positions. It seems more likely to me that he will take over at first base,and Hatteberg will become a bench player. However there is a problem with this. Krivsky has signed Hatteberg to a 2-year deal. It could be that Hatteberg believes Krivsky has promised him a starting position, otherwise he may not have made the deal. Joey Votto is a better player than Hatteberg,and there will be a lot of pressure to trade Hatteberg to make room for Votto. Hatteberg could become unhappy very quickly, but it is just one of the results of the Reds' bad play. Established veterans may not find their position safe, especially if their is a talented youngster waiting in the wings. Joey Votto will be given every opportunity to succeed or fail at 1st base at the major-league level.

Screwball
06-19-2007, 01:12 AM
If Hatteberg doesn't expect to be traded given all of the current circumstances, then he hasn't been paying much attention to the Reds' season. IMO, it's a foregone conclusion he'll be traded for good prospects and to make way for Votto much the same way Randa was a couple years ago.

DannyB
06-19-2007, 05:59 AM
I think Hatteberg is in his last year.

Chi-Town Red
06-19-2007, 07:44 AM
yep

Marge'sMullet
06-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Joey Votto is a better player than Hatteberg,and there will be a lot of pressure to trade Hatteberg to make room for Votto. Hatteberg could become unhappy very quickly, but it is just one of the results of the Reds' bad play. Established veterans may not find their position safe, especially if their is a talented youngster waiting in the wings. Joey Votto will be given every opportunity to succeed or fail at 1st base at the major-league level.

How many major league pitches has Votto seen?

hebroncougar
06-19-2007, 10:55 AM
If Hatteberg doesn't expect to be traded given all of the current circumstances, then he hasn't been paying much attention to the Reds' season. IMO, it's a foregone conclusion he'll be traded for good prospects and to make way for Votto much the same way Randa was a couple years ago.

The Reds, at best, will get a fringe prospect or two for Hatteberg. He's nothing more than a LH pinch hitter for a good team. He doesn't have nearly enough value as a 1b to bring more than that in return. Plus, look at his home and road splits. The real value in moving Hatteberg is opening the spot for Votto.

CWRed
06-19-2007, 11:27 AM
The Reds, at best, will get a fringe prospect or two for Hatteberg. He's nothing more than a LH pinch hitter for a good team. He doesn't have nearly enough value as a 1b to bring more than that in return. Plus, look at his home and road splits. The real value in moving Hatteberg is opening the spot for Votto.

What? He's a LH pinch hitter? Um, have you seen his stats this year...and last year? He is a hitting and OBP machine. I would love Votto to come up but get rid of Conine first. Hatteberg should be moved, but not before Castro, Moeller, and Conine keep taking up space on the bench.

keeganbrick
06-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Hatteberg is in his last year but he has an option for next year. By time Votto is up here I think Dunn or Hatte will be gone so it wont be a problem. Knowing this FO Dunn will be traded and they will pick up Hatte's extension and Votto will begin his career in LF. : (

terminator
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
However there is a problem with this. Krivsky has signed Hatteberg to a 2-year deal. It could be that Hatteberg believes Krivsky has promised him a starting position, otherwise he may not have made the deal.
I would think that Hatteberg is smart and loves Krivsky. This is a guy who didn't have a job at the start of spring training in 2006 (coming off an off-year in 2005) and has now had two more years in the majors while collecting $2.5MM and, at worst, has an option buyout of $150k coming for 2008. I would have to think he is thrilled with the opportunity that Krivsky has given him considering that a mediocre campaign at 35 years old often gets you run out of MLB. Now at 37 he still has value and options.

JLB5
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I would think that Hatteberg is smart and loves Krivsky. This is a guy who didn't have a job at the start of spring training in 2006 (coming off an off-year in 2005) and has now had two more years in the majors while collecting $2.5MM and, at worst, has an option buyout of $150k coming for 2008. I would have to think he is thrilled with the opportunity that Krivsky has given him considering that a mediocre campaign at 35 years old often gets you run out of MLB. Now at 37 he still has value and options.

I agree and Hatte just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to be a problem in the clubhouse. If they do bring up Votto, I would think it should be at the expense of Javy. Hatte can serve as a LH bat off the bench the rest of the year if he isn't moved much better than Nacho Libre.

hebroncougar
06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
What? He's a LH pinch hitter? Um, have you seen his stats this year...and last year? He is a hitting and OBP machine. I would love Votto to come up but get rid of Conine first. Hatteberg should be moved, but not before Castro, Moeller, and Conine keep taking up space on the bench.

Yeah, I pay attention to all stats, not just OBP. But since that seems to be your favorite, his road OBP (that's away from the bandbox the Reds play in) is .319, and his SLG away from GABP is .342, that makes for a whopping .661 OPS away from GABP. Give me a holler when a contending team trades him to be their starting first baseman. It will not happen. That's a first baseman, and a first baseman only, he can't play anywhere else. This is all before figuring in, he can't hit LH pitching.

hebroncougar
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree and Hatte just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to be a problem in the clubhouse. If they do bring up Votto, I would think it should be at the expense of Javy. Hatte can serve as a LH bat off the bench the rest of the year if he isn't moved much better than Nacho Libre.

I could definitely live with that. I'd take Hatte over Javy any day of the week. The biggest obstacle Hatteberg faces is that he plays a premium offensive position. And that's the only one he can play.

terminator
06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
The biggest obstacle Hatteberg faces is that he plays a premium offensive position. And that's the only one he can play.
An obstacle, but Hatteberg's career numbers are just a shade below Casey's and with Casey at first we still managed to have the #1 offense in the N.L in 2005.

reds44
06-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Votto has played 5 straight games in LF for the Bats, so I think he will be replacing Dunn and not Hatteberg.

hebroncougar
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
An obstacle, but Hatteberg's career numbers are just a shade below Casey's and with Casey at first we still managed to have the #1 offense in the N.L in 2005.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2005.shtml

That team could afford to have the light hitting Mayor play first base (in fact, I'd say that team had the NL's best offense in spite of Casey. I think we'd all agree, this current incarnation that Mr. Krivsky has dealt us can't.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2007.shtml

Take a look position by position at OPS (I think a pretty good measuring stick of an offense), and you'll see what I mean. And you'll see why Juan Castro should never, ever start a game, and why people who think Hopper could replace Dunn's offensive value even a little bit have a screw loose IMO.

AmarilloRed
06-21-2007, 01:12 AM
I think he is an option if we turn out to trade Dunn. I think Reds management would prefer to put him at first as an upgrade over Hatteberg. First base is a power position, and Hatteberg is not a power hitter. It is the same thing that eventually doomed Casey in Cincinnati

AmarilloRed
06-21-2007, 01:13 AM
I