PDA

View Full Version : Billy Hatcher as Manager?

Reds Freak
06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Thom and Chris chatted with Billy Hatcher between innings tonight about his 1990 World Series days. Billy also mentioned that he would like to manage some day. If the Reds decide to fire Narron this season, I think it would be interesting to see what Billy Hatcher could do as the manager. Not that I am advocating firing Narron during the season, I would much rather see Hatcher get a chance than Bucky Dent. Then after the season the Reds could evaluate both Hatcher and outside candidates. I know the internal route hasn't worked for the Reds the past few years, but Hatcher would be one internal candidate I would like to see given a chance. Any thoughts?

UC_Ken
06-19-2007, 11:17 PM
He has a lot of experience coaching for Lou, I think that's a big positive. I'd certainly make him a candidate and if we're not going to go for a big name manager I'd really like to see him get a shot.

mole44
06-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I'd fire Narron today if Hatch wanted the job. He'd get the rest of the season then get reevaluated at seasons end.

reds44
06-19-2007, 11:23 PM
I'd fire Narron today if Hatch wanted the job. He'd get the rest of the season then get reevaluated at seasons end.
I wouldn't be against that either. I'd certainly rather see Billy in there then Narron or Bucky.

Billy has the attitude and people skills to do it, but we don't know if he has the in game skills. Why not find out?

cacollinsmba
06-19-2007, 11:29 PM
He's not a retread manager, like Narron or Boone.

I'm sort of partial to having former Reds involved in the coaching & front office - so I'd be all for it.

IF they gave him a realistic length of a contract. I'm a little tired of the revolving door at manager.

Reds Freak
06-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Hatcher said tonight his goal would be to manage someday, I'm assuming he wouldn't mind the Reds job. I would like to see how he would handle the team, lineups, pitchers over half a season and then evaluate him in the off season. Now I have no way of backing this up as I have never been in the Reds clubhouse, but Hatcher seems like a guy who just stays quiet in the dugout, like he knows things aren't done the right way but doesn't feel like it's his place to change things. Or maybe he doesn't know any better either...

keeganbrick
06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
I've wanted Hatcher to take over since last year, but I doubt it will ever happen. If Narron gets fired knowing the Reds Dent would just take over and continue to make the same stupid mistakes.

Doro
06-20-2007, 01:34 AM
I like Billy but I think a change is needed from the outside....wanted Girardi

Cant Touch This
06-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I would love to see a complete rehaul of the management team. Let's let Hatcher manage, Larkin be the hitting/bench coach, Browning be the pitching coach, and then base coaches can be Herm Winningham and Rolando Roomes.

Okay, in all seriousness, it would be refreshing to see RC go with a youth movement with his manager/coaches to coincide with the youth movement on the field. Within the next two years, the Reds lineup and rotation should be riddled with young players. Get Narron, Bucky, and Dicky P out of there and let's bring in some CHAMPIONS.

Can't be worse. Simply can't be.

bounty37h
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
I was/am against Girardi, overall, although it would have been worht considering. I know what he did in Fl last year, but I am not sold on him yet, think a lot had to do with young players who were too dumb to knw they were supposed to stink it up, and the firing of a manager most often always results in a boost in performance from everywhere. I dont recall why, which I know is crazy to hold it against him if I dont even know why, but I just dont think Girardi is stable, and I am concerned he wouldnt be able to maximaize this teams potential. I would be game for going ahead and axing Narron, and auditioning Hatcher, and revisit it during the off season, but that to omakes me nervous, a repeat of past hires here.

George Anderson
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
I would rather have someone with previous managerial experience. I know there have a few instances in the past where managers have been hired with no minor league experience and been successful, but I just dont think its overly common. If I had to pick between Billy Hatcher and a person like say Ron Oester who has had minor league managerial experience, I would lean towards Oester.

JLB5
06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
I would love to see a complete rehaul of the management team. Let's let Hatcher manage, Larkin be the hitting/bench coach, Browning be the pitching coach, and then base coaches can be Herm Winningham and Rolando Roomes.

Herm would be great as a base coach. I loved his attitude when he played here. I remember him once being asked about being the emergency catcher and he quipped, "I'll sweep the clubhouse if that's what they want." Always positive and always willing to do what's best for the team. That kind of attitude is always welcome.

Hatcher would be my choice from inside the organization. I wouldn't mind seeing Ted Power up here either. I'm just not convinced Hume is the best coach for this bullpen. I know some of the problem is the personell, but I haven't seen too many guys elevate their game under his tutelage.

durl
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Why would Hatcher want to manage the Reds? If he can't take the same players that Narron has and turn them into a winning team, most people on this board would trash him. Then they'd trash Krivsky for hiring an unproven manager. And Hatcher would have a "losing manager" label over his head wherever he goes.

Nope. There's too much pressure to produce a winner immediately in Cincinnati right now.

(But then again, he could end up doing great. Who knows? There...I've covered my bases thoroughly...)

Cant Touch This
06-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Herm would be great as a base coach. I loved his attitude when he played here. I remember him once being asked about being the emergency catcher and he quipped, "I'll sweep the clubhouse if that's what they want." Always positive and always willing to do what's best for the team. That kind of attitude is always welcome.

Hatcher would be my choice from inside the organization. I wouldn't mind seeing Ted Power up here either. I'm just not convinced Hume is the best coach for this bullpen. I know some of the problem is the personell, but I haven't seen too many guys elevate their game under his tutelage.

It seemed the whole organization in 1990 embraced that postive, just-want-to-be-here attitude. I'd pay money to watch Herm coach the bases. Here is how I would restructure the coaching staff:

Manager - Billy Hatcher
Pitching Coach - Tom Browning
1B Coach - Herm Winningham
3B Coach - Chris Sabo
Bullpen Coach - Randall Kirk Myers (or get Dibble off TV and bring him back.)
Bench/player Coach - Eric Davis
Bullpen Catcher - Joe Oliver or Jeff Reed
Infield Coach - Luis Quinones

GM - Barry Larkin :scared:

TheBigLebowski
06-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd love to give Hatcher a try. Can Narron and give Hatcher the helm for the rest of the season and re-evaluate from there.

Of course, when and if Narron's fired, expect another retread manager to get the job (Sam Perlozzo? Bob Brenly?) and the status quo to continue.

bounty37h
06-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I would rather have someone with previous managerial experience. I know there have a few instances in the past where managers have been hired with no minor league experience and been successful, but I just dont think its overly common. If I had to pick between Billy Hatcher and a person like say Ron Oester who has had minor league managerial experience, I would lean towards Oester.

I 100% agree with that, just wondering what experienced managers are available, and that would come to Cincy. We would likely have to hold out till end of year to see who's let go or available then. What are some names we would/could be interested in?

Reds Freak
06-20-2007, 01:40 PM

I definately would rather have someone with previous managerial experience, but remember Bob Boone, Dave Miley, and Jerry Narron all had previous managerial experience prior to being named Reds' skipper. I'd be interested in seeing what Billy Hatcher is like as a manager over half a season rather than Bucky Dent and then you can weigh him against other candidates after the season. I don't have a clue if Billy would be an improvement but it would be interesting to see.

AmarilloRed
06-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Unfortunately, at this point I would take a mongrel monkey managing the Reds over Jerry Narron. It would probably do a better job.