PDA

View Full Version : The Kid Returns

reds44
06-22-2007, 08:47 PM
They are testing the video tribute for tonight's game on the video board here at Safeco and it's rpetty amazing. I'd love a copy of it, just for the catches alone. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer had an aamzing package today for Griffey's return. They showed that he hit a hiomer and had a home-run robbing catch in the final Kingdome game. And, of course, it ends with his scoring the winning run from first in 1995 and "the smile at the bottom of the pile".

This is going to be pretty cool tonight, I'm really looking forward to it.

Junior just had his press confernece. He was asked if he would finish his career as a Red -- "That wouldn't be up to me -- unless I choose it to be." Which, I think he meant to say unless he chooses to walk away.

He was also asked about a move to DH -- and he said the way he's looked at it for center fielders, it's right field for three years, two years in left and one at first before going the DH route. "So I've got a while."

He was asked what hat he'd wear in the Hall of Fame -- "Don't I have five years to decide?" he said. Then he was told it's not up to him, but to the Hall of Fame. "Well, what do you think?" There were laughs, but everyone expects him to go in as a Mariner.

Right now Ken's taking BP and the cage is getting swamped with photographers and videographers.

Narron was asked about his time in Seattle as a Mariner: "I don't think they're going to be unveiling a statue of me tonight."

If the cheers Grifey's getting during BP are any indication, it's going to be a huge response tonight. He had his hat on backwards, too, something we don't see often in Cincinnati.

Trent

Ken Griffey Jr. got a big ovation when he he stepped in for batting practice. He's wearing his hat backward, by the way.

Probably 120 people crammed in the interview room for the Griffey returns to Seattle press conference.

Griffey was charming, funny, a bit thoughtful. It lasted about 30 minutes, but in the end Griffey really didn't see much.

"I'm excited to be back."

Playing in Cincinnati vs. Seattle: "It's really the same, other than the location -- and the weather."

Any regrets about leaving? "No, because my family was the No. 1 thing."

Does he think about the playoff run? "I do think about '95. How much fun we had. We did the things you dream about, winning in the playoffs."

On playing center field in this series: "That's not up to me. I don't control that. I want to play shortstop. If it was up to me, I'd go straight to shortstop."

What's it like coming back? "It's just different . . . I don't know what to think."

Nervous? "I'm always nervous. Not in a bad way. Once the game starts, I'll be fine."

Finishing his career as a Red: "I can't control. Unless I decide (to retire).

Fay

Griffey is in RF tonight, not center.

reds44
06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
For those of you with DirecTV or dish that have the sports package, FSN Northwest has an hour pregame show starting in 10 minutes. I assume it will be alot of Griffey and they will have the pregame ceramony. Check it out.

Degenerate39
06-22-2007, 08:51 PM
That would be interesting to see him at short

Chi-Town Red
06-22-2007, 08:54 PM
i cant wait ....

reds44
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I may shed a tear tonight, not going to lie. I loved Griffey when he was in Seattle, as I do know. Seeing his glory days and all the highlights will bring back some memories.

I remember seeing him play a double header in Chicago when I was like 7, if that, and he hit a homer in each game and robbed a dude of a homer also. It was amazing.

Degenerate39
06-22-2007, 09:50 PM
That highlight video gave me goosebumps.

reds44
06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
:cry:

11larkin11
06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
No jokes, seriously, that tribute made me change my stance on trading him. Keep him at all costs.I was born in 91 so I only remember a few of his years in Seattle.

jimbo
06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow, I have some serious goosebumps. So good to see Junior getting the appreciation that he deserves. At times I don't think he feels even as half appreciated in Cincinnati, and that's just unfortunate.

I for one feel lucky to have him as a Red.

MississippiRed
06-22-2007, 10:00 PM
That tribute is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

reds44
06-22-2007, 10:07 PM
That was awesome. I barely got through it.

nate
06-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Very classy!

donnelly_31
06-22-2007, 10:15 PM
As a die-hard Reds fan and life long Griffey fan the tribute video brings a tear to my eye not only b/c of the great memories of Griffey but also with thoughts of what might have been in Cincy had he stayed healthy.

11larkin11
06-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Hes gotta go deep tonight or at least in this series.

Cicero
06-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Man we have got to get him a WS ring.

reds44
06-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Postgame stuff:

1st of all, here is the tribute video.
http://media.putfile.com/Ken-Griffey-Jr-Returns-to-Seattle

Ken Griffey Jr. never said what he expected upon his return to Seattle. Turns out he couldn't have expected what he got.

“It was more than I expected, a lot more than I expected,” Griffey said. “Awesome, if you had to put in one word. It was something – that many people for that long, cheering. It was pretty unbelievable.”

The only trick was keeping the eyes dry.

“I was pretty good,” he said. “I had to take a couple of deep breaths. I looked around and it was touching. But I didn’t want to start crying. I didn’t want to home and have my kids say, ‘Daddy, you were a punk.’ But it was real touching.”

Someone asked Griffey if he nervous before the first at-bat.

“The first at-bat was OK,” he said. “It was other four. The first at-bat when he threw over (to first), I settled down. The second at-bat I was trying to get the runners over. The last three I was trying to hit it as far as I could.”

He struck out swinging on all three of those.

As for the game: David Ross and Brandon Phillips each went deep twice. Josh Hamilton hit a solo shot. And Aaron Harang pitched eight innings of two-hit ball. The only run he allowed was unearned. He's 8-2 with 3.59 and should be getting All-Star consideration. He’s 3-0 with 1.85 ERA in his last six starts.

“It would be outstanding,” Narron said. “He’s definitely deserving, not only for what he’s done this year, but for what he did last year. It would be good to see him make it.”

-Fay

POSTGAME: Wow, what a night. Everyone was pretty much floored. This is what Ken had to say:
"It was more than I expected -- a lot more than I expected. Awesome, if you had to put it in one word. To have that many people cheer for that long, it was pretty unbelievable."

Someone asked him if it was hard that first at-bat: "The first at-bat was OK, it was the rest of the at-bats that were a problem," he said with a laugh. Griffey went 1-for-4 with three strike outs.

"When he threw over two times, the nerves settled down."

He was also asked if this brought a sense of closure.

"It will never be closure until I retire... And five years after that, there will be closure."

"I didn't want to start crying, just so I didn't have my kinds say to me, 'dad you were a punk.'"

Hamilton said he teared up during the tribute. "It was somethign you rarely see."

About the catch in the first, "I was thinking when the ball was in the air that if I didn't make that catch, I was really going to get worn out out there. But I got worn out anyway."

Griffey said his son Trey Griffey, who served as a bat boy, picked out the bats for David Ross, who had two homers on the day and improved his average to .205.

"Trey's always good luck for me," Ross said. "If his dad didn't already have more money than I'll ever have in my life, I'd buy him something."

Ross said it's the third time he's had Trey pick out his bats and three times he's homered. "I think he should quit school and his sports and come work for me fulltime."

Narron: "We scored 16 runs, we had a lot of good at-bats early. I think our guys were excited for Griff, I think all our guys appreciated what the fans did for Griff. I think that may have worn off a little bit."

"I think every one in the game knew what kind of reception he was going to receive. He's one of the greatest players to play the game and he had a good run here and the fans appreciated it and showed it tonight."

On Harang: "I was going to take him out after the seventh, but he had 90-some pitches and he really wanted to go back out there and work on some things, so I had to appreciate that."

-Trent

Every once in a while you need to be reminded what you have. Tonight was my reminder. I was reminded why I loved Griffey when I was growing up (well I guess I still am). I was also reminded why I love Griffey today. As I sit in my room look at my Griffey poster, my Griffey 500th homer pictured, my Griffey S.I. cover, I almost feel ashamed at some of the stuff I've said about him. I feel ashamed I ever once wished he was traded. I'm ashamed I've hammered him for his bad defense, and his lack of plate disipline last year.

I watched that tribute tonight, and I cried. I'm not going to lie. I get teary eyed just thinking about it now. Tonight wasn't about me or Cincinnati, but in a way it was. It made me appreciate what I'm watching. The greatest player baseball has seen in a long, long time. If not ever. It made me realize how hard it must have been to move from CF to RF. Looking at all of the great catches he made in CF for the M's, he could have complained to the media about it and cried like a 10 year old girl. He didn't. He trots out to RF everyday with that same smile on his face. When Hamilton made the Griffeyesque grab in CF today, Junior was in RF laughing and having a good time.

I hope we don't trade Griffey. I want to see him hit 600 and maybe even 700 with the Reds. I want to see him finish his career out with the Reds. He's old, he's hurt, and he's expensive. That's all we ever hear anymore. Even at his old age, we are watching the greatest player of all time. I think it's about time I started enjoying it.

harangatang
06-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Watching tonight's game made me think about what life as a Reds fan would be like if Griffey was chasing Hank Aaron with Barry Bonds. Griffey's injuries may have cost him the all time home run record, but it retained his image of honesty and integrity from the steroid era. To me as a Reds fan I'll be much happier to see Griffey inducted into Cooperstown with what should be an automatic ticket than to be stuck in the middle of the steroid controversy.

Cicero
06-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Watching tonight's game made me think about what life as a Reds fan would be like if Griffey was chasing Hank Aaron with Barry Bonds. Griffey's injuries may have cost him the all time home run record, but it retained his image of honesty and integrity from the steroid era. To me as a Reds fan I'll be much happier to see Griffey inducted into Cooperstown with what should be an automatic ticket than to be stuck in the middle of the steroid controversy.

JR i kind of the anti-Bonds. It is a testament to his character that a guy with that much talent could remain so humble. He is so deserving of a championship.

Chi-Town Red
06-23-2007, 12:52 PM
I moved to Chicago from Spokane, Washington in 1999.I can honestly say i have seen more of JR'S games than probably anyone on this board. He is and always will be the greatest player ever in my mind. To be able to watch him day in and day out in his prime is something so special. When they said you couldn't wait to see what he would do next is so true. A great catch, hit or throw or all of the above!!! I was a little kid at the end of Willie Mays career. And he was all time great player, but Ken Griffey Jr is and always will be number one!! BTW ..i have always been a Reds fan( since 1970)...and a Jr fan! I as well hope we don't trade him