PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro a possibility?

mroby85
06-23-2007, 12:07 AM
just wondering what you would think about them signing ichiro in the offseason if he tests the free agent market? a lot of it depends on if they trade griffey and dunn, or either one, but it would be nice to add a guy that always hits over 300 and has speed at the top of this order, him and phillips at 1 and 2 could be very nice to get to the big boys in the order, but again, i'm not really sold on this idea either, it just depends on what goes down this year.

whata you guys think?

Degenerate39
06-23-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd like him but I'd rather have Hamilton, Dunn, and Griffey.

jimbo
06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I think it's a bad idea. Why trade away high-priced veterans to free up salary, only give it to another high-priced free agent? I think it would defeat the purpose of what this organization needs to do. The Reds will never be able to compete by playing the free agent market, they need to develop and promote from within and stay away from the high dollar veterans.

BoilerBC11
06-23-2007, 12:41 AM
I'd go for it, sign him to a LTC and have we got our closer of the future...

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/16/ichiro-once-i-turn-40-i-can-become-a-pitcher/

Orenda
06-23-2007, 04:20 AM
I dont think he would come here anyway, he has already voiced his displeasure over the losing with the Mariners. I'd love to have him but it would take big-time dollars.

JLB5
06-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm betting he ends up in Boston or one of the NY teams. A California team would be the next round of possibilities. If he ends up anywhere like Cincinnati, I'll be totally shocked.

BoxingRed
06-23-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm betting he ends up in Boston or one of the NY teams. A California team would be the next round of possibilities. If he ends up anywhere like Cincinnati, I'll be totally shocked.

I was talking to a Sox fan last night who claimed Ichiro was coming to Boston. Of course, every Boston and Yankee fan thinks every player on earth can't wait to don their uniform.
Ichiro is a god in Seattle. I mean everyone loves Ichiro there. I would be shocked if he left and I would be shocked if the Mariners didn't do everything in their power to sign him.

Schmitbuck
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I have read that he is wanting to stay on the West Coast, closer to Japan. If I had two choices, I'm guessing the Dodgers or the Angels.

Doro
06-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I like him but he'll be too high priced for us.

Chi-Town Red
06-23-2007, 01:21 PM
if we cant afford Dunn, we cant afford Ichiro

CRedsLarkin11
06-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I really don't believe the Reds will be going with any big names any time soon

WMR
06-23-2007, 02:05 PM
No way in the world Ichiro would come to Cincinnati. He's on record about hating playing in Cleveland.

He'll go somewhere with a sizeable Asian population. Either stay on the west coast or New York/Boston.

Chi-Town Red
06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
hello Yankees!!

mroby85
06-23-2007, 07:30 PM
if we cant afford Dunn, we cant afford Ichiro

i think the question there is more if dunn is worth that kind of money, rather than not having it. i know i would prefer to have ichiro over adam dunn. this team is going to have to spend some money at some point.

nate
06-23-2007, 08:05 PM
i think the question there is more if dunn is worth that kind of money, rather than not having it. i know i would prefer to have ichiro over adam dunn. this team is going to have to spend some money at some point.

Yes, he is. The question is whether the Reds can afford to have such a luxury.

jimbo
06-23-2007, 08:24 PM
i think the question there is more if dunn is worth that kind of money, rather than not having it.

I don't think it's a question at all when you consider the numbers he puts up with what the market is dictating. There are plenty of veterans out there putting up much less numbers than Dunn, yet making more money.

I think the question is more can the Reds be competative by playing the high-end free agent market. My opinion is no because signing one or two high dollar free agents ties their hands too much over a long-term basis. Haven't we learned what the contracts of Griffey and Milton has done to this team?

roby
06-23-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't think it's a question at all when you consider the numbers he puts up with what the market is dictating. There are plenty of veterans out there putting up much less numbers than Dunn, yet making more money.

I think the question is more can the Reds be competative by playing the high-end free agent market. My opinion is no because signing one or two high dollar free agents ties their hands too much over a long-term basis. Haven't we learned what the contracts of Griffey and Milton has done to this team?

Jimbo, If that is true, the Reds need to pony up more money for their payroll. If they intend to be a major league team, they are going to have to be competitive and smart in every area.

redsfanmia
06-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Jimbo, If that is true, the Reds need to pony up more money for their payroll. If they intend to be a major league team, they are going to have to be competitive and smart in every area.

If the Reds are going to be competitive then they need to build up the farm system and supplement the roster with free agents not break the bank with high dollar free agents. The Reds really need to tear it down and start all over and put the money they save on payroll into scouting and developement its really the only way they can win in the long haul.

jimbo
06-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Teams like the Padres, the D'Backs and the Indians are spending less money than the Reds are this season and are doing just fine. You also see teams like the Twins and the A's who are usually in the same ballpark with the Reds as far as payroll goes and they do just fine also. It isn't always about how much you spend, but how you spend it.

It's pretty obvious, even though I am a huge Griffey fan, that his contract has limited what this team can do as far as player movement. Why would we want to do it all over again by signing a player like Ichiro who will also be demanding a very high salary and a long-term commitment?

jimbo
06-23-2007, 08:54 PM
If the Reds are going to be competitive then they need to build up the farm system and supplement the roster with free agents not break the bank with high dollar free agents. The Reds really need to tear it down and start all over and put the money they save on payroll into scouting and developement its really the only way they can win in the long haul.

Exactly. :thumbup:

George Anderson
06-23-2007, 10:21 PM

:thumbup: exactly also!!!

This isnt rocket science, the Reds need to pattern themselves after other small market teams that have had success like Minnesota. The Reds will never have an owner with deep pockets or crazy enough to go broke by getting into bidding wars with the likes of the Redsox or Yankees for big name free agents. Thats why I still have hope that Krivsky is the man for the Reds, he has seen how to do it with the Twins so hopefully he can copy for the Reds what was done with the Twins!!

mroby85
06-23-2007, 11:50 PM
i'd just like to say adam dunn's stats look way better than he actually is when watching him every day, thats just my opinion. and you have to keep in mind too when bringing up milton and griffey hurting this team, not all free agent signings are busts like milton and griffey have been. Agreed, no one saw griffey's as being a bust, but you could almost feel it with milton, being such an extreme fly-ball pitcher coming to great american, not to mention he had a high ERA in the first place. I just want to state that not all free agent signings turn out like griffey and milton, and if they would've produced like they should have, it may have been a different story.

Topcat
06-24-2007, 06:52 AM
just wondering what you would think about them signing ichiro in the offseason if he tests the free agent market? a lot of it depends on if they trade griffey and dunn, or either one, but it would be nice to add a guy that always hits over 300 and has speed at the top of this order, him and phillips at 1 and 2 could be very nice to get to the big boys in the order, but again, i'm not really sold on this idea either, it just depends on what goes down this year.

whata you guys think?

Um if I had to prognosticate I would say Ichiro would choose probably 18 teams before he would ever even consider being a Red.