PDA

View Full Version : For godsake, Homer Bailey needs another pitch.

TC81190
06-27-2007, 09:46 PM
He really should still be in Triple A. His heat mixed only with the hook that he has trouble locating isn't going to cut it. His change isn't even worth mentioning. He really needs to learn a new pitch, it's bit late in his development to start throwing a slider or any type of those, but a variant on his fastball, such as the splitter, really needs to be tried.

Also, what happened to his K's? :confused:

Reds Freak
06-27-2007, 10:24 PM
He really should still be in Triple A. His heat mixed only with the hook that he has trouble locating isn't going to cut it. His change isn't even worth mentioning. He really needs to learn a new pitch, it's bit late in his development to start throwing a slider or any type of those, but a variant on his fastball, such as the splitter, really needs to be tried.

Also, what happened to his K's? :confused:

I did not get to watch the game yesterday but in his last start against Oakland he was basically using just the fastball and mixing in the change to keep them off balance. The change he had that night was working very nicely so I think it is worth mentioning. As long as he continues to refine the curve, change, and location of the fastball, I think he'll by fine with 3 pitches.

REDSEER
06-27-2007, 11:05 PM
We all knew that tough starts were going to come for Homer.....they do for everyone.

There's no reason to jump off of the bandwagon after one start......young pitchers will take their beatings, but hopefully learn from the beatings like Cole Hamels did from last year to this year.......

As for his change up....it can be a great pitch, a strike-out pitch even, IF he can locate his fastball.....everything looks great when you can paint the corner........

He got it!
06-27-2007, 11:21 PM
If he does need to work on developing another pitch let him work on it at the big league level against the competition he is going to face the rest of his career. When your record is as bad as the Reds I think they can afford to let Homer do some on the job training.

kaldaniels
06-27-2007, 11:54 PM
As an aside, Bailey is the youngest player in the NL right now, according to baseball-reference.com. (Phil Hughes has him beat right now (6/24/84)) to Homer's 5/3/84.

redhawkfish
06-27-2007, 11:57 PM
I am pretty sure Mario Soto only threw a fastball and change-up.(somebody correct me if I am wrong about that) Homer's off speed pitch is no where near Soto's, but hopefully he continues to develop it.

AmarilloRed
06-28-2007, 01:01 AM
I think his changeup is a work in progress-I hope he will improve it as time goes on.

NoColonBoy
06-28-2007, 09:25 AM
If he does need to work on developing another pitch let him work on it at the big league level against the competition he is going to face the rest of his career. When your record is as bad as the Reds I think they can afford to let Homer do some on the job training.

I agree with that to a point. You have to concern yourself with Homer's psyche. As long as he's "adequate"--on the job training is great for a team going nowhere. But the Homer Bailey who walked off the field on Tuesday night was a dejected, clearly upset Homer Bailey, and we have to make sure that, if he has more starts like that, it doesn't get into his head. A 21-year old needs successes, whether it's at the big league level or in AAA, in order to build confidence.

Also, yeah, Mario Soto had a fastball and a change-up. But the dude's change-up was the best pitch in MLB at the time, and that's how he had the success he had (often for very bad Reds teams, too).

Ludwig Reds Fan
06-28-2007, 11:41 AM
As an aside, Bailey is the youngest player in the NL right now, according to baseball-reference.com. (Phil Hughes has him beat right now (6/24/84)) to Homer's 5/3/84.

Maybe i read this wrong but doesn't May come before June?

steig
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Let him work on his pitches in the majors. He can get by with just his fastball in AAA, so how will he know when he's ready if we send him back down. It's not like the Reds are in the playoff hunt where every win counts.

shredda2000
06-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Yes but Homer is OLDER because he was born in May :thumbup:

nate
06-28-2007, 11:58 AM

Not alphabetically.

beefer
06-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to pass on an interesting scout observation on Homer Bailey from Stark's Rumblings and Grumblings:

Scouts who have seen Reds phenom Homer Bailey since his call-up have been shocked by the lack of life on his fastball.

"I saw him in the Florida State League last year, and he was throwing 98 [mph]," said one scout. "Then I saw him in the big leagues this year, and he averaged 91-92. At 97-98, he can get by with not commanding his [off-speed] stuff. But at 91-92, when his other stuff isn't there, he's just an ordinary guy."

I noticed this during the shellacking this week. Any word from those in the know regarding his arm?

Gettin' back to fun again.
Beefer

klw
06-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Homer was born in 86 not 84
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7944
Oops so was Hughes- right point wrong year
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7913

JLB5
06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
"I saw him in the Florida State League last year, and he was throwing 98 [mph]," said one scout. "Then I saw him in the big leagues this year, and he averaged 91-92. At 97-98, he can get by with not commanding his [off-speed] stuff. But at 91-92, when his other stuff isn't there, he's just an ordinary guy."

I noticed this during the shellacking this week. Any word from those in the know regarding his arm?

Gettin' back to fun again.
Beefer

Last week against the A's, he got stronger as the game went on and was hitting mid 90s if I recall. I don't think its and arm issue but more taking a little off in attempt to gain command. Also, he has 2 fastballs, one which hits the higher velocity. He may have been relying on the slower of the two due to command. He'll learn quickly what works and what doesn't. As Marty said, he's not lacking in ego so maybe a little butt whipping will do him some good in the long run. As for needing "another pitch," I don't think he needs anything else just to maximize what he's got.