PDA

View Full Version : Narron's Comment About Weathers

reds44
06-28-2007, 02:49 AM
From Trent.

Jerry Narron was asked how long the delay would have had to been for Weathers to not go out and finish the game -- "not tonight... he was going back out there, bro."

What does that mean? I'm I the only one extremely alarmed by that comment? It once again sounds like a guy trying to save his job. "not tonight...he was going back out there, bro." That is honestly sending alarms off in my head. In the position he is in, I do not trust him with any of our pitchers. Is it going to get to a point where when we have a lead, no matter what inning, when the starter comes out Weathers goes in? I'm exaggerating here, but still.

Am I overracting, or is anyone else concerned about that? It sounds like he is going to do whatever it takes to win, even if that's not what is best for the player and for the future of the team.

Thoughts?

Here is the entire piece from Trent's blog.

POSTGAME: Some interesting stuff tonight, most of it about David Weathers.

Jerry Narron was asked how long the delay would have had to been for Weathers to not go out and finish the game -- "not tonight... he was going back out there, bro."

"He’s had an outstanding first half," Narron said. "A lot of people talk about All-Star candidates, and shoot, if he doesn’t make it, something’s wrong."

Weathers talked about how he's really enjoyed being a closer and is getting to the point where he considers himself a closer.

The best was from a discussion I had with Marcus McBeth, who I caught out of the clubhouse. "I keep going around to stores looking for brass balls so I can put them in his locker."

Javy said he and Marcus miscommunicated on that. Javy called for a slider and Marcus threw a fastball. It bounced off the umpire, not Javy. Marcus took the blame for it, saying he should have stepped off the rubber. That is one setback of three catchers, that's a lot of combinations between catchers and pitchers for everyone to feel comfortable with each other.

Javy said he felt much better after his double, that drove in the game-winning RBI. "I had to do it," he said.

Also something interesting in my conversation with McBeth. I noted that I saw one of his pitches hit 93 on the radar gun and the scouting report I'd gotten on him when he came over said he'd touch 90. He said he was at 90 most of this year, but last year he was throwing consistently at 93-94 and touching 95. With his changeup, he could really develop into something good.

McBeth also talked about how great Weathers and Guardado are with him and how they've helped his development. He said Guardado is amazing with the younger pitchers and is just an incredible help. I'll probably talk to him tomorrow a little to get more on that for Friday's paper. Was great stuff.

tomred
06-28-2007, 03:35 AM
You can not blame him who else would you like in the 9th inning

EddieMilner
06-28-2007, 08:37 AM
From Trent.
Am I overracting, or is anyone else concerned about that?

It sounds like you are overreacting.

Jharb74
06-28-2007, 09:41 AM
The thing we should be overreacting about is the fact that Narron thinks that Weathers is an All-Star.

Vada Pinson Fan
06-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Basically on any given night, Weathers is the only dependable reliever in the pen who happens to be the closer. I'm not a Narron fan or backer at all so I don't worry about what he says. I do shake my head in disbelief over his managerial decision making such as PH for Josh Hamilton w/ Juan Castro.

I'd love for a Cincinnati sportswriter to contact Bob Howsam and ask him about the state of the current Reds from ownership, front office, players and scouting.

Ludwig Reds Fan
06-28-2007, 11:31 AM
The thing we should be overreacting about is the fact that Narron thinks that Weathers is an All-Star.

compared to the rest of our middle relief, Weathers is All-Century. :D

Hubba
06-28-2007, 11:33 AM
On this team he is.:p:

jimbo
06-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Am I overracting, or is anyone else concerned about that?

I'm not really concerned with what he said. If Narron had come out of delay using a different pitcher, there would have been a thread here bashing him for not using Weathers and not managing to win. He is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. The vast majority here hates Narron and will find fault in whatever decisions he makes because their mind is made up.

nate
06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not really concerned with what he said. If Narron had come out of delay using a different pitcher, there would have been a thread here bashing him for not using Weathers and not managing to win. He is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. The vast majority here hates Narron and will find fault in whatever decisions he makes because their mind is made up.

Yep. If Jerry invented a time machine during the delay and brought back the Nasty Boys circa 1990 people would've complained that he was favoring vets.