PDA

View Full Version : What could we get for Weathers?

Jim Fazio
07-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I believe Weathers will be traded at the deadline. What teams are interested and what could we get for him?

Chi-Town Red
07-01-2007, 11:14 AM
At least a decent AA player i would think..depends on whose buying

Doro
07-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I would say probably not someone that would make much of an impact in the future if any. I would rather keep hold of him and cross my fingers for a run next year..... hey the Brewers are doing it.

Degenerate39
07-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm sure we could get a decent prospect for him from a team like the Yanks or another team that has bullpen problems.

HokieRed
07-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Do you see a competitive bullpen on this club in 2008 without David Weathers? If not, does that mean none of us should bother to show up for the season?

Vada Pinson Fan
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
HokieRed - Great point. Reds are no-where w/o Weathers. Krivsky must be bowled over to accept a deal for Weathers! Trouble is this- we saw in the Kearns deal what bowls Wayne K. over. :cry::nono:

07-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Jose Capellan was traded to the Tigers for a High A pitcher with a 1.89 ERA and a 95-16 SO/BB ratio. Capellan spent most of the year in the minors and had a 4.50 ERA in the brief time he was up. Granted he was once a top prospect, but I would have to believe that many teams would rather have Weathers than Capellan, meaning that the Reds can get more than just a single A prospect for him. Looking at how many teams need relief pitching, and how many relievers will be on the market better than Weathers, I am thinking the Reds can get a top ten prospect for him easily.
In response to HokieRed, I would bet my house that Weathers doesn't have anywhere near as good a year next year, wherever he plays, as this year. Holding on to him is as dumb as pinch hitting Castro for Hamilton.

steig
07-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Without Weathers we would still be in last place. This team isn't going to win anything big next season with or without Weathers. So I say trade him. He probably could bring more in a trade than Dunn when you consider contract issues and the fact that there is low supply of relief pitchers and high demand. Plus you always get more for a pitcher in trade value in the middle of the season because teams are willing to give a little more to win. I think a close to ready pitcher could be had. Or a package deal with Weathers and Hatte or Griffey should bring a top notch pitching prospect if some team needs a bat also.

Screwball
07-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Do you see a competitive bullpen on this club in 2008 without David Weathers?

It's not out of the question, IMO. We have some young guys gaining experience right now, as well as guys like Guevara, Pelland, and Medlock in the minors who may turn out to be impact arms for the Reds next year.

The thing about Weathers is that, while he may be having an exceptional year, there's no guarantee he'll continue to do this well next year. In fact, given his age (he'll be 38 this September), and career numbers (4.38 ERA, 1.49 WHIP) I think trading him now while his value is at its absolute highest and likely headed for decline would be the most prudent course of action. That's especially true given the fact the Reds are going nowhere with him and relief pitching is in high demand.

Just how good a prospect he could bring back I'm not sure, as I'm no GM/scout, but I would guess in the B/B- range.

CySeymour
07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I agree with ScrewBall. As far as a return for Weathers, what did the team get when they traded Todd Jones a couple of years ago? Trading Kent Merker netted them Matt Belisle. My guess is Weathers would get them something along these lines.

HokieRed
07-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm not completely opposed to trading David Weathers. I just think we need to think about what the bullpen will look like next year, and, like it or not, as of now the pitcher in this organization who is most likely to be effective next year out of the bullpen is David Weathers.