PDA

View Full Version : Lopez and Kerns

Jefferson24
07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Just looked at their stats for this season. I'm glad neither of them are still on this team. It looks like we got nothing and gave up not much in that trade last year. Hind sight suggests that we came out ahead because of the $ we saved not paying their larger contracts.

Just thought it was time for another 'The trade" thread.

durl
07-02-2007, 10:21 AM
I agree. "The Trade" didn't hurt this ball club. If Bray turns out to be a good reliever, the Reds will definitely have gotten the better end of the deal.

mbgrayson
07-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Remember that RFK Stadium is an extreme pitchers park. Look at home/road splits:

Kearns (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=5012):
Home: .210 .306 .333 w/3 HR
Road: .293 .347 .420 w/2 HR

Lopez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=4254):
Home: .242 .268 .312 w/ 0 HR
Road: .226 .299 .355 w/3 HR

Screwball
07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Remember that RFK Stadium is an extreme pitchers park. Look at home/road splits:

Kearns (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=5012):
Home: .210 .306 .333 w/3 HR
Road: .293 .347 .420 w/2 HR

Lopez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=4254):
Home: .242 .268 .312 w/ 0 HR
Road: .226 .299 .355 w/3 HR

Wow, their OPS on the road is still bad/abysmal. Kearns is at .767 OPS on the road (career .822 away) and Lopez is at .654 (:help:... career .719 away). I guess anybody involved in that trade - and still playing for one of the 2 teams involved - has been doomed to grossly underpeform their career numbers.

IamWallaman
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I really don't want to get into this stuff again... but both sides of this trade are hurting.

Lopez and Kearns are average at best and Wagner is hurt.

The best the Reds can hope for is a Bray resurgance and that Thompson becomes a viable starter someday. Something is irreparably wrong with Maj and we only have cash to show for Harris. (who's putting up good #s for TB)

...but Washington did get the better return, however comparably small it may be.

George Anderson
07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I agree. "The Trade" didn't hurt this ball club. If Bray turns out to be a good reliever, the Reds will definitely have gotten the better end of the deal.

Agree 110% !!! People were way to quick to judge this trade as awful. The biggest problem is fans and media types are way to impatient and not willing to sit back and let things play out!

Blitz Dorsey
07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Getting rid of Lopez was great (too bad we didn't trade Lopez for Bray straight-up...not that the Nats would have done the deal -- they wanted to make sure Gary "Broken Goods" Majewski was included).

But Kearns, although he's not a great player by any means, I wish he was still here. This team could use a right-handed hitter in the middle of the lineup who is under 41 years of age. Not to mention a corner outfielder with range who can catch the ball (and has a good arm). Griffey still has a good arm, but he has lost a lot of range. Dunn has the weakest arm ever for a 6-6, 260-pound former star quarterback.

So, I agree with your point that the trade really wasn't bad for us. But I would like to still have Kearns around. Kearns would have 10 HRs and would be hitting .280 if he played at Great American Small Park. And our defense would be better in the OF.

Screwball
07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
But Kearns, although he's not a great player by any means, I wish he was still here. This team could use a right-handed hitter in the middle of the lineup who is under 41 years of age.

You mean like Edwin Encarnacion?

UC_Ken
07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Who would you like Kearns to play over? Griffey? Dunn? Hamilton?

Liked him when he was here but no room for him anymore. The criticism of the trade was we could have gotten more at the time but I wonder if the scouts around baseball saw the same things the Reds saw in wanting to trade them. The word may have been out that these guys were flawed players.

Orenda
07-02-2007, 06:19 PM
This notion that people have that the trade didnt hurt us is absurd. Yes, Kearns and Lopez aren't putting up great numbers, and yes we've found suitable replacements in their positions. But that trade was an absolute loss for the reds, because they gave up a good deal of young everday talent for bullpen help in a playoff hunt. Did they get that? Have they gotten that yet from the trade?

I think most people were ok with the Reds dealing the two, however the return has had no immediate benefit for the Reds, and I would argue with Majewski being allowed to cough it up every chance he had, really hurt the team. And the offense might be coming back with Hamilton and Gonzo, however that team definetely was less formidable offensely after the trade.

PTI (pti)
07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll admit to being guilty as someone who made a lot more of this trade then it really was. In the end, the Reds traded 2 or 3 crappy players for 3 or 4 more crappy players. In the end it's all a wash, unless one of these guys can actually hit their weight, or one of the pitchers can find a way to keep their ERA in single digits.

Until then --> the trade is pretty much irrelevant, imo.

IrishDavidKY
07-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Until someone actually produces I see this trade as a wash.

ChatterRed
07-02-2007, 11:23 PM
This team overachieved last year and has underachieved this year. End of story.