PDA

View Full Version : How long before Krivsky is next?

AmarilloRed
07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I read on the ORG today that Krivsky is signed thru 2007, with 2008 and 2009 options. The club has exercised the 2008 option last year, but I am beginning to wonder if he will last through this year. He is largely responsible for putting the team together, with the possible exception of Griffey. I believe the possibility of him holding onto his job is now largely dependent on how the new manager does. If the new manager can have the team playing at .500 or even better the rest of this season, he may have 1 year to keep his job. A lot will also depend on who he does at the trading deadline. He needs to make good trades at the deadline and not get nothing like he did in The Trade. Bray started out well but got injured, and Majewski has been worthless. I hope the minor league pitcher will be good, but so far we haven't had much of a return from that trade.A good manager might be able to save Krivsky's job for 1 more year, and he better hope that is the case.

nate
07-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I read on the ORG today that Krivsky is signed thru 2007, with 2008 and 2009 options. The club has exercised the 2008 option last year, but I am beginning to wonder if he will last through this year. He is largely responsible for putting the team together, with the possible exception of Griffey. I believe the possibility of him holding onto his job is now largely dependent on how the new manager does. If the new manager can have the team playing at .500 or even better the rest of this season, he may have 1 year to keep his job. A lot will also depend on who he does at the trading deadline. He needs to make good trades at the deadline and not get nothing like he did in The Trade. Bray started out well but got injured, and Majewski has been worthless. I hope the minor league pitcher will be good, but so far we haven't had much of a return from that trade.A good manager might be able to save Krivsky's job for 1 more year, and he better hope that is the case.

I'm hoping Bob C makes decisions based on more than what record an interim manager generates with a team that is about to go through massive personnel changes.

baseballguy
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Hopefully not long..:rolleyes:

durl
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I hope Castellini gives a GM more than 1 offseason to prove himself. Especially when it's a franchise with a long losing trend and a medium-sized payroll.

EddieMilner
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Hopefully a very long time. If the Reds fire WK anytime before 4 years, then the team will have no chance to hire a decent GM. What good GM would come to an organization that would only give one off season to perform after 7 straight losing seasons. I feel that patience is best with WK, give him the 4 years it takes to build an organization. But at that 4 year mark, we better have a winning season and handfuls of prospects at each level. If not, then fire him immediately. Not a second before nor a second later.

Chi-Town Red
07-02-2007, 06:35 PM
let him hire his own manager and see what happens....i can tell you all right now
we wont get much for either Griffey or Dunn...so dont expect much if either are traded

George Anderson
07-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Hopefully a very long time. If the Reds fire WK anytime before 4 years, then the team will have no chance to hire a decent GM. What good GM would come to an organization that would only give one off season to perform after 7 straight losing seasons. I feel that patience is best with WK, give him the 4 years it takes to build an organization. But at that 4 year mark, we better have a winning season and handfuls of prospects at each level. If not, then fire him immediately. Not a second before nor a second later.

Exactly!!! If Castellini were to fire Krivsky after a little over a year on the job then he would have an extremely hard time finding someone of quality to replace him. No current GM or wanna be GM would waste there time with an owner as impatient as that.

I agree that patience is the key with Krivsky, I liked his hire simply because he comes from an organization (Twins) that I believe the Reds need to model themselves after.

I just hope that Krivsky is spending as much time on the other aspects of the Reds such as the scouting department and player development. Having a competant scouting department and a minor league system that is capable of developing the players should be focused on just as much as any other aspect of this organization. Bottom line is build a winner from within!!!!

steig
07-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Exactly!!! If Castellini were to fire Krivsky after a little over a year on the job then he would have an extremely hard time finding someone of quality to replace him. No current GM or wanna be GM would waste there time with an owner as impatient as that.

I agree that patience is the key with Krivsky, I liked his hire simply because he comes from an organization (Twins) that I believe the Reds need to model themselves after.

I just hope that Krivsky is spending as much time on the other aspects of the Reds such as the scouting department and player development. Having a competant scouting department and a minor league system that is capable of developing the players should be focused on just as much as any other aspect of this organization. Bottom line is build a winner from within!!!!

If Bob C were to fire Krivsky then his only choice would be go Steinbrenner, and shell out big bucks to bring in several key free agents. Throwing money at the problem rather than letting Krivsky solve the problem with some time. I don't think Bob C will throw money around so they only option is to let Krivsky try and right the ship or we can just add a couple of more seasons to the length we will have to wait for a real winner.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want a competitive team or a division championship. I want to see a team that gets to the world series. I don't care who the players are just that they play for cincinnati.

AtomicDumpling
07-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Based on Krivsky's first two drafts with the Reds I don't have much confidence in his ability to build from within.

If he can convince Castellini he is trying to build from within, that alone should buy him a couple more years at least.

The fact is the Reds have taken a nosedive under Krivsky's tenure. His good moves (Arroyo, Phillips, Hamilton) have been crushed by the weight of his bad moves.

A prospective candidate to be the next GM wouldn't decline the job simply because Krivsky didn't last long. You can't blame Castellini for firing the GM of the worst team in all of baseball. If you come in dead last in MLB you expect to be fired. I think a bright young GM would relish the opportunity to build a team from scratch with his own philosophy. I know I would.

gilpdawg
07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Krivsky's short-term fate will be decided based upon how he handles the upcoming trade deadline. Nothing more, nothing less. The record for the rest of the year matters not. It's all about 08 & 09 now. It's always about next year with this franchise. Only now there's a shot if the young talent pans out.

George Anderson
07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Based on Krivsky's first two drafts with the Reds I don't have much confidence in his ability to build from within.

Dont ya think it is kinda hard to judge the outcome of a draft that is less than a month old???

TC81190
07-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Dont ya think it is kinda hard to judge the outcome of a draft that is less than a month old???

Drew. Stubbs.

AtomicDumpling
07-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Yes it is. You are right. But in my personal opinion it was a letdown. There are other teams that got exciting players that are near sure things. We didn't.

Last year's draft hasn't produced any exciting prospects yet either. The first round pick was hitting .240 in low A ball the last I checked.

REDblooded
07-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Krivsky should be canned based on arrogance alone.

T7-niner
07-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Krivsky should be canned based on arrogance alone.

Care to elaborate?

UK Reds Fan
07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
The point that is hard to dance around is that outside of Griffey...every player on the current roster has either been resigned-extended by Krivsky or brought in since Krivsky has been GM.

Hard to say he hasn't had time to put his stamp on this team. He has made decisions to retain or drop nearly the entire roster in over a year.

Caveman Techie
07-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry but the Krivsky haters are going to have to be patient. If this were New York or Boston with the unlimited budget you would be right for calling for his head. However this is Cincinnati and with a medium (at best) sized budget that already had large chunks of it allocated to two players (Griffey, and Milton) you have to give him time.

If in 3 years none of his draft picks look close, or none of his trades for young talent is ready to contribute then you are right, but until then you have to be patient. You may not agree with the moves that Krivsky makes, but then again you don't have to.

joshnky
07-03-2007, 10:31 AM
The point that is hard to dance around is that outside of Griffey...every player on the current roster has either been resigned-extended by Krivsky or brought in since Krivsky has been GM.

Hard to say he hasn't had time to put his stamp on this team. He has made decisions to retain or drop nearly the entire roster in over a year.

While it is true that Krivsky has had a lot of say in shaping the roster, you can't ignore the fact that 27% of this years payroll is tied up in two players from the previous administration. Griffey has earned that salary this year (although he hasn't earned the extreme amount of deferred money that remains to be paid) but Milton has been a dead weight on this organization. Milton comes off the books this year and Griffey after next season so I'd like to wait and see what Krivsky can do with that extra $20M at his disposal.

luvdozer
07-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Doesnt RC also have to consider the candidates that are available currently?

I know there is talk about Jocketty jumping ship because of the cardinal connection, but I keep looking at Paul Depodesta out there on the unemployment line.

bounty37h
07-03-2007, 11:05 AM

If he can convince Castellini he is trying to build from within, that alone should buy him a couple more years at least.

The fact is the Reds have taken a nosedive under Krivsky's tenure. His good moves (Arroyo, Phillips, Hamilton) have been crushed by the weight of his bad moves.

A prospective candidate to be the next GM wouldn't decline the job simply because Krivsky didn't last long. You can't blame Castellini for firing the GM of the worst team in all of baseball. If you come in dead last in MLB you expect to be fired. I think a bright young GM would relish the opportunity to build a team from scratch with his own philosophy. I know I would.

Wow dude, hope you have no influence on decisions for this team. From his first 2 drafts you got that? Really? How many players go through the draft and make it to the majors in 2 years,let alone make an impact on the team, how are you basing this opinion??? Tell me more about these bad moves that ahve "crushed" any good moves (yes, there have been some bad ones, and some good ones, but dont think either side of them has us in the position we are in now overall).

AtomicDumpling
07-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Wow dude, hope you have no influence on decisions for this team. From his first 2 drafts you got that? Really? How many players go through the draft and make it to the majors in 2 years,let alone make an impact on the team, how are you basing this opinion??? Tell me more about these bad moves that ahve "crushed" any good moves (yes, there have been some bad ones, and some good ones, but dont think either side of them has us in the position we are in now overall).

Last year's top picks have been awful in the minors so far. This year's top picks consist of high-risk players with limited upsides. So yes, in my opinion Krivsky has done a poor job with the draft thus far. Hopefully our draft picks will start to show some improvement and earn their draft position soon. They are a long way from the majors and have plenty of time to improve, but so far I have not been impressed at all. Which players have impressed you?

The fact the Reds have completely collapsed to the tune of the worst record in the entire major leagues indicates that Krivsky's bad moves heavily outweigh his good moves. It is time to show some significant organizational improvements or we will have to find another GM.

cacollinsmba
07-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I have to agree with AD on this one. It may be unfair to judge Krivsky on his drafting after being here such a short time. However, I do have a serious problem with this team drafting a catcher out of HS with their 1st pick this year. I would like to see more of an emphasis on pitching in their drafts.

My belief is that the Reds' drafting should more closely mirror Oakland's. Here is a personal favorite from 2005 - 10 of the 1st 13 picks were pitchers.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=oak&year=05

While I understand it is natural for Krivsky to be heavily influenced by the Twins organization and their way of doing things, I will not be satisfied until the Reds have a GM that is willing to do things the way Oakland does them - whether or not that involves Krivsky makes no difference to me.

AmarilloRed
07-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm sorry but the Krivsky haters are going to have to be patient. If this were New York or Boston with the unlimited budget you would be right for calling for his head. However this is Cincinnati and with a medium (at best) sized budget that already had large chunks of it allocated to two players (Griffey, and Milton) you have to give him time.

If in 3 years none of his draft picks look close, or none of his trades for young talent is ready to contribute then you are right, but until then you have to be patient. You may not agree with the moves that Krivsky makes, but then again you don't have to.

I am not a Krivsky hater. However, he has made a number of questionable decisions in putting this team together. I understand a lot of these decisions were done to improve the Reds pitching. I do think he has done a fairly good job of handling the draft the last couple of years, with the exception of Stubbs. He will be judged on how this major league team plays. If the reds continue to play like they have tonight, he will get his 3-4 years. If the team looks as bad as they have the first half, the owner might want him gone as well. I do hope Krivsky can make this team like Minnesota, based around pitching and defense. If he does , he will be in Cincinnati for a long time.

foxfire123
07-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Rumour in the St. Louis paper sunday that Castellini was talking to Walt Jocketty. Jocketty denied it but now you have to wonder... the rumour was also that ti was a "package" deal with LaRussa coming along. both of their contracts are up this year with the Cardinals

Wouldn't mind having Jocketty, with Castellini as one of the owners he helped rebuild the Cardinals, but NO WAY to LaRussa.

I want to kidnap Piniella fromt he Cubbies myself... :)

reds44
07-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Watching the press conferences the last 2 days and the t.v. interview's tonight, one thing has become clear to me. BCast and Krivsky are taking the Narron firing in two completely different directions.

Krvisky looked like a man who just lost his best friend. He nearly broke into tears at the press conference on Monday. He has said he has dissapointed in himself for not giving Narron enough to work with, and even went as far as calling Narron the fall guy and said it was partially his own fault why he got fired.

Then Bob took a completely different attitude toward the situation. He acted like he was pissed off. He said the nice things about Narron and how he was a nice game, but not once did he seem sorry for what had happend to Narron. He said the record simply spke for himself. He was pissed his team's not winning, and he was going to do whatever he can to fix it. He said he would fire himself if they didn't start winning. He also said he was going to be VERY envolved in the hiring of a new manager.

It almost seems like BCast forced Krivsky's hand. Almost the "you fire him or I fire you both" attitude. Something just seemed very off about the situation. It was very difficult for Krivsky to give an explanation on what happend, but BCast knew exactly what went down.

Bob felt bad because we are losing. Wayne felt bad because what happend to Narron.

The question now becomes, does Krivsky get another crack at another offseason? It just doesn't seem like Bob has any faith in Wayne, he won't even let him hire his own manager. I personally don't think you can fire a GM after one offseason. It's not nearly enough time to execute a plan (although same may argue Wayne doesn't have one), and I think you need to give him more time.

However, if there is one thing I have learned about BCast is that he is not a patient man and he HATES losing. He despises it. He won't sit around and let Krivsky screw around with his franchise.

If Krivsky does get the boot, the first name Bob should call is Mike Hill. He tried to et him last time, and he should go after him again.

AmarilloRed
07-04-2007, 01:17 AM
I started an almost identical thread-see " How long before Krivsky is next?" Please don't make new threads when there are already threads to cover that subject.

AmarilloRed
07-04-2007, 01:22 AM
It would be hard to believe Jocketty would leave a successful franchise like St. Louis for Cincinnati unless he looked at it like a challenge- it would be one. LaRussa has been a successful manager; don't know if I want him in Cincinnati though.