PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Dent Fired; Ed Napoleon Resigns

reds44
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070703&content_id=2064103&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- The Reds announced on Tuesday that Bucky Dent Dent has been dismissed as bench coach. His replacement will be Pat Kelly, who was the manager of the organization's Gulf Coast League Reds.
The 55-year-old Dent, a former player and manager of the Yankees, joined former manager Jerry Narron's staff in November 2005.

Kelly, 51, spent last season as a professional scout for the Braves. He last managed in the Reds organization with Double-A Chattanooga in 1993-94. Since he began his managerial career in 1986, he has helmed 12 professional teams.

A former catcher, who broke into the big leagues in 1980 with the Blue Jays, Kelly also played in the Angels, Braves and White Sox systems.

The club also announced that Ed Napoleon, in his fourth season as a roving outfield instructor, has resigned. Napoleon, also a close friend of Narron's, spent most of his time working with the Major League players. Except for a brief retirement in 2001-02, he has been a Major or Minor League coach for 36 years. He declined an offer to remain in the organization.

Narron was dismissed as Reds manager on Sunday and replaced on an interim basis by Pete Mackanin.

markymark69
07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Maybe Bucky mouthed off because he thought he should get the manager's job and they fired him for that. Not exactly sure, but I don't think he or Napolean will be a big loss. Could this be the start of a major housecleaning?

durl
07-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I bet they just want to change the attitude of the team in every aspect. If you're going to make a symbolic move like firing the manager, just go for it and start clean.

fadetoblack2880
07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Maybe Bucky mouthed off because he thought he should get the manager's job and they fired him for that. Not exactly sure, but I don't think he or Napolean will be a big loss. Could this be the start of a major housecleaning?

What could it hurt? I doubt this team could sink any lower. They're currently at the bottom of the barrel. Only way to go is up. If cleaning house is a way to get things going then why not. Also, on a seperate note, I like Hamilton, but what right does he have dictating that the front office keeps Johnny Narron? It's seems that this team has quite a few problems to address. It's almost as if the team is divided.

keeganbrick
07-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Thank you FO, was just another Jerry Narron wannabe.

Hey Meat
07-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Dick Pole needs to go next

Chi-Town Red
07-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Dick Pole needs to go nextyep

AmarilloRed
07-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I heard the offense was fourth in the NL in runs, not sure if firing the hitting coach was the right answer. The pitching coach is another story.

TC81190
07-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I heard the offense was fourth in the NL in runs, not sure if firing the hitting coach was the right answer. The pitching coach is another story.

OK, and they said Dick Pole.