PDA

View Full Version : How does Tom Hume keep his job????

redsfan1966
07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Unless I have missed something--and trust me with my beloved Redlegs playing the way they are, I may have---how does Tom Hume keep his job?? Yes, I know the "talent" he has leaves a lot to be desired--but if Narron is getting canned because of how the players perform....shouldnt Hume suffer the same fate???? The bullpen is the main reason this team is nosediving the way it is...and yes, I'm sure Humie is a great guy and he has standing as a former Red player---so what??? If Don Gullett can get the heave-ho...Hume sure could get the same...

Vada Pinson Fan
07-05-2007, 11:41 PM
My wife and I have discussed the Tom Hume (why not let him go) subject more than once this year! I don't understand why he is still here. Hume should've hit the road when Gullett did.

I think I'm going to become very nauseated :barf:the next time George Grande and/or Chris Welsh mentions how Tommy Hume is such a nice guy.... :thumbdown:bang::all_cohol:bash::barf:

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Judging by the Reds bullpen, Hume must be a REALLY nice guy. Nicer than any other team in MLB, at the moment.

redhawkfish
07-06-2007, 09:46 AM
What duties does a bullpen coach have that a pitching coach doesn't? I know he has to sit in the pen and answer the phone, but what are his other duties?

AdamDunn
07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't like the idea that he's telling the pitchers to take stuff off their fast ball to locate it better. Bad idea.

JLB5
07-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't like the idea that he's telling the pitchers to take stuff off their fast ball to locate it better. Bad idea.

Yeah, I heard Hume talking about that when they interviewed him in Philly. I'm all for changing speeds and giving guys different looks, but you have to bring the big cheese to keep guys honest. I think the "take something off" approach contributes to our guys throwing meatballs down the middle when they fall behind in the count, but that's just my observation. I'd much prefer they work on consitent mechanics and knowing where to start pitches than teaching guys to slow their arm speed just to get the ball over. Seems to me that using the "take a little off" approach might also contribute to guys falling into bad mechanics. I would think you would want guys to learn to take speed off by changing grip.