PDA

View Full Version : Should Hamilton hit cleanup in next year's lineup?

AmarilloRed
07-06-2007, 01:07 AM
I am willing to concede Hamilton is our best option for leadoff this year. However with his excellent plate discipline and considerable power, I think we should pick up a legitimate leadoff hitter in this offseason, and have Hamilton hit in the cleanup spot next year. I know he has only 29 rbis so far this year, but he has hit leadoff a lot this year, which is why he has such a low number. I believe he will do a good job batting leadoff this year, but in the future we should think about having hit in the middle of the lineup.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-06-2007, 01:09 AM
While I have always bashed dunn alot on this board.. and I love Hamilton.. I think Hamilton is the perfect 4 or 5 hitter in this lineup.. His batting is close to dunn when it comes to power, and plate discipline, but he just seems to have a knack for getting hits when they are needed.. unlike dunn.. the other good thing about him.. he can play defense.. I think he is a perfect 4 or 5 hitter especially in this lineup..

reds44
07-06-2007, 01:10 AM
It all depends who we find in the free agent market. Unless we go out and get a legit leadoff hitter, he's probably the best combo of OBP and speed we have, no matter what his power is. It all depends what else we have.

Degenerate39
07-06-2007, 01:17 AM
There are alot of variables to this question. Will Griffey and Dunn still be on the team? Will Wayne K. pick up a power hitting bat? Will Hambone stay away from drugs? How good is Votto going to be up here? Let's wait till next year to answer that question. Until then keep him at leadoff.

reds44
07-06-2007, 01:20 AM
There are alot of variables to this question. Will Griffey and Dunn still be on the team? Will Wayne K. pick up a power hitting bat? Will Hambone stay away from drugs? How good is Votto going to be up here? Let's wait till next year to answer that question. Until then keep him at leadoff.
Hamilton
Edwin
Griffey
Dunn
Phillips
Hatteberg
Gonzalez
Ross

Best. Lineup.

AmarilloRed
07-06-2007, 01:29 AM
I love Adam Dunn, but he doesn't have enough plate discipline or get enough hits to hit cleanup.Besides, Hatteberg is only on the team until Wayne can trade him and bring Votto up. The rest of your lineup is perfectly fine.

mound_patrol
07-06-2007, 01:36 AM
I love Adam Dunn, but he doesn't have enough plate discipline or get enough hits to hit cleanup.Besides, Hatteberg is only on the team until Wayne can trade him and bring Votto up. The rest of your lineup is perfectly fine.

how do you figure Dunn doesnt have the plate discipline?

AmarilloRed
07-06-2007, 01:45 AM
One third of his ABs end in strikeouts. He will take a lot of walks, but he doesn't get enough hits to drive runners in. He has done better this year, but he would need to consistantly hit .270 or .280 to bat cleanup. He is only batting cleanup now because we don't have a true cleanup hitter. However, that could change next year with Josh Hamilton.

Orenda
07-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Is there a fascination with putting certain marquee players in certain roles? I've always been a fan of Dunn in the 2 hole, or 5th or 6th where he can get on-base, swing, and take away. However, why he is continually put into a run producing position without the best results? In regards to Hamilton, If he can produce in that role than as a Reds fan Im for it. I like EE circa 2006 as a cleanup hitter.

EddieMilner
07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
I think that Hamilton could be about the most perfect 2nd hitter. Speed, good OBP, sees pitches. It seems to me we are using Hamilton as an OK lead-off when he could be a really great 2 guy. just my two cents.

durl
07-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Hamilton's BA is lower with RISP so perhaps he's more comfortable being at the top of the lineup. Still, he's new to the big leagues so his RISP numbers could very well improve as he gains experience.

CySeymour
07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Hamilton's BA is lower with RISP so perhaps he's more comfortable being at the top of the lineup. Still, he's new to the big leagues so his RISP numbers could very well improve as he gains experience.

I think leadoff is a nice place for him this year. It gets him a few extra at bats plus a few extra fastballs.

JLB5
07-06-2007, 10:10 AM
The thing I really like about Hamilton is that he is the type of hitter that you can bat just about anywhere in the lineup and he has the skills to succeed. Where you bat him depends upon the supporting cast. Right now, I think he is most valuable to this team in the lead off role, but down the line it could be as a #2, 3, or 4 hitter. As long as he keeps up his OBP, I would never drop him below 5.

Degenerate39
07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Hamilton
Edwin
Griffey
Dunn
Phillips
Hatteberg
Gonzalez
Ross

Best. Lineup.

I'd switch Edwin and Brandon around but that's me

jimbo
07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
One third of his ABs end in strikeouts. He will take a lot of walks, but he doesn't get enough hits to drive runners in. He has done better this year, but he would need to consistantly hit .270 or .280 to bat cleanup. He is only batting cleanup now because we don't have a true cleanup hitter. However, that could change next year with Josh Hamilton.

Strikeouts do not necessarily equate to a lack of plate discipline. The fact that Dunn does get a lot of walks though is a good indication that he knows how to work a count, hence good plate discipline.

pokeyfan
07-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I think that Hamilton could be about the most perfect 2nd hitter. Speed, good OBP, sees pitches. It seems to me we are using Hamilton as an OK lead-off when he could be a really great 2 guy. just my two cents.

My EXACT thoughts!

mroby85
07-06-2007, 01:07 PM
i think hamilton is an ideal #2 hitter, because he has speed, and is a fairly good contact hitter. i think they need to bring in another bat in the offseason after they trade dunn, and have the lineup go leadoff, hamilton, phillips, griffey, new bat that they acquire. etc.

reds44
07-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Here's a list of the 2007 free agent outfielders.

Bobby Abreu * NYY
Moises Alou * NYM
Milton Bradley OAK
Eric Byrnes ARZ
Mike Cameron SD
Brady Clark LAD
Jeff DaVanon ARZ
Adam Dunn * CIN
Jermaine Dye CWS
Kosuke Fukudome Chunichi, Japan
Luis Gonzalez LAD
Shawn Green* NYM
Eric Hinske BOS
Torii Hunter MIN
Geoff Jenkins * MIL
Andruw Jones ATL
Bobby Kielty OAK
Rob Mackowiak * CWS
Jason Michaels CLE
Orlando Palmeiro HOU
Corey Patterson BAL
Aaron Rowand PHI
Reggie Sanders KC
Ichiro Suzuki SEA
Brad Wilkerson TEX

out of those guys the only one that is a leadoff hitter is Ichiro. I think there is a likelyhood Dunn is traded and Krivsky makes a major run at Tori Hunter (see: Minnesota connection) but that still wouldn't solve the leadoff problem.

There's just not alot of options. Although apparently Michael Bourn is on the trade black, and he could leadoff.

mroby85
07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
andruw jones would be a nice pick up as well, because he plays great defense, and i'm sure his power numbers would only go up at great american.

reds44
07-06-2007, 03:39 PM
andruw jones would be a nice pick up as well, because he plays great defense, and i'm sure his power numbers would only go up at great american.
He's hitting around .200 this year.

Degenerate39
07-06-2007, 03:55 PM

I'll pass