PDA

View Full Version : Stanton has been great since mid-May

11larkin11
07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
I did a real fast calculation, but its close to an ERA of 1.56 since mid May. He gets way too much crap around here. He has been great since Mid May.

uoduck1017
07-08-2007, 12:32 AM
I agree with you that he has pitched well lately. However, if the Reds could get something for him, I think it makes a lot of sense to deal him. Hopefully he continues to pitch well so his trade value will increase.

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-08-2007, 12:37 AM
He looked very good tonight.

DannyB
07-08-2007, 05:54 AM
I did a real fast calculation, but its close to an ERA of 1.56 since mid May. He gets way too much crap around here. He has been great since Mid May.

the season started first of April.It all counts.

He got it!
07-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Totally agree, after Weathers he has been our best relief pitcher. Especially lately as you have mentioned he has been lights out. I would like to see Pete relagate Stanton to that dreaded 8th inning while he is hot and ride this out.
As for the crap he gets... lets face it the guy is an easy target, older than dirt, fatter than Sidney Ponson, and throws about as hard as a 5th grade girl. Results are what we are ultimately after though and I think Stanton deserves a pat on the back - Good post.

Orenda
07-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Is era the number one indicator for an effective reliever? I have this friend Rheal Cormier who was curious. Do you know what his inherited runners totals or first batter faced results are? Mind you, Im lazy and dont care to look it up, so if you could tell me I'd appreciate it. Especially since I half-heartedly claimed that I wouldn't pay for a ticket w/ Stanton in the pen and Narron at the helm. But if you win me over with those, Ill concede 1 out of 2.

jimbo
07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
the season started first of April.It all counts.

I don't think anyone is claiming that it doesn't. All the OP is saying that Stanton has been quite effective for the majority of the first half and many Reds fans discount that fact when they call for his DFA.

I remember it being very similar last season when Weathers got off to a very rough start and Reds fans were hammering him and calling for his DFA also. It just goes to show that a season is a marathon, not a sprint (yeah I know, a "ridiculous cliche") and most players do go through slumps.

DannyB
07-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't think anyone is claiming that it doesn't. All the OP is saying that Stanton has been quite effective for the majority of the first half and many Reds fans discount that fact when they call for his DFA.

I remember it being very similar last season when Weathers got off to a very rough start and Reds fans were hammering him and calling for his DFA also. It just goes to show that a season is a marathon, not a sprint (yeah I know, a "ridiculous cliche") and most players do go through slumps.

The Reds were out of it by mid-may and he along with a few others was a big part of that.

kaldaniels
07-08-2007, 11:15 PM
The Reds were out of it by mid-may and he along with a few others was a big part of that.

Thru mid-May....Stanton had ER in 6 of 19 games. Yep...he was a big part of it. (He wasn't pitching well then, we all know that. However, the post was just pointing out for those who haven't noticed was that after a slow start, Stanton has been great. And guess what, he has been. That's it. No more. No less. Could have done without your snarky remark.

TheWalls
07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I really hope some contending team agrees enough to give us something in a younger model for the privelege of assuming his contract.

Orenda
07-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I really hope some contending team agrees enough to give us something in a younger model for the privelege of assuming his contract.

Exactly, his contract was ridiculous. That goes against Krivsky not Stanton. But thats an expensive patch job and they still have a leaky bullpen. Also at this point in his career I don't see where a team would want that contract for his performance level. It also gives the reds less flexibility w/ the roster....hence Salmon being sent down, although he has nothing left to prove in AAA.

jimbo
07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Also at this point in his career I don't see where a team would want that contract for his performance level.

I disagree. Stanton's numbers in the second half last season were pretty good and from the way he has pitched since May, he is headed for another good second half. Something any contending team would want, a consistantly good second half veteran reliever.

AmarilloRed
07-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Why does everyone suggest we trade away our effective relievers?We should trade away the ones who are terrible.:)

11larkin11
07-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Because our effective ones are old and most likely wont be effective next year. Why trade away good young arms that need experience? Remember, McBeth and Coutlangus haven't been pitching long.

klw
07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Why does everyone suggest we trade away our effective relievers?We should trade away the ones who are terrible.:)

Because no one will give you anything of value for someone who is not performing. If the goal is to get better longterm, it sometimes involves giving up a player performing well now for a good return.

The Snow Chief
07-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I think his time has passed, but if you look at his career objectively, it has been very good. Set up men generally do not get HOF consideration, but if they did, he should probably be in the mix. Consider these career stats over 18 years:

ERA - 3.8
WHIP - 1.3
2nd in MLB appearances
ERA of 2.1 in 18 post-season series - including an ERA of 1.5 in six World Series.

Orenda
07-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-27-2007, 02:10 PM
He truly has been one of the greats.