PDA

View Full Version : Gosh, I wish Hatteberg...

LvJ
07-08-2007, 05:01 PM
...was 10 years younger and was still a catcher. http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsughrun.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

He got it!
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
.... would land us a #2 pitching prospect via the trade market.

James B.
07-08-2007, 05:46 PM
If he keeps hitting like this, he could still land us a pretty good prospect.

ThatPitchIsDunn
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
This is almost one of those Sean Casey things. I know he wasn't universally loved by the Redzone faithful, but I still appreciated what he brought to the table. (It was his salary I had issue with.)

The Pickin Machine has done nothing but be consistently solid for this team. When he came in, no one expected much of him, let alone be in the top ten in the league in OBP last year. Now it just seems he does what's he asked of day in and day out. We'd rather sit you b/c it's a lefty pitching today? No problem Coach, I'll be there if you need a PH. I don't have any speed but you'd like me to bat leadoff? How about I get you the first and last runs of the ballgame today?

I'm gonna miss Hatte once we trade him, but it's like the Joker and Casey before him (although I hope we get better return, and we should). You've done well for us and we hope the contender you become a part of goes far in the postseason.

Someone in the game thread pointed out what I noticed as well in the post-game interview. Scott's a well-spoken, team-driven individual who's selfless and won't throw his teammates under the bus. Once he retires, let's get that man a coaching job on our staff. He'll get on the youngsters and teach em to take a pitch or two and work the count.

Reds Freak
07-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Scott Hatteberg is a professional in every sense of the word and a class act to boot. In a lineup full of swingers, I love watching his approach and abilities at the plate. I know a lot on here make fun of the "veteran presence" that WK always talks about but I would think Scott Hatteberg is exactly the type of player a young club could use off the bench. I don't want him to block the path of Joey Votto but I sure would like to see Hatteberg off the bench next year with the occasional start and be a mentor to Votto. If someone offers a legit prospect for Scott you have to do the deal but I wouldn't get rid of him for nothing because he can still be a valuable guy off the bench in the future.

FlightRick
07-09-2007, 12:15 AM
I wish the Reds had the kind of stroke to sidle up to Hatteberg, tell him "Psst. Mentor this. Pinch hit that. Veteran Presence the other. And, player/coach/manager/whatever, we'll give you a contract for life."

But we don't. Oddly enough, my other favorite team does, though. And they're also starting Miguel F. Cairo at 1B some days. If we (by which I mean the Reds Organization) can get value for him, I say we gots to move Hatteberg before he has the opportunity to move on himself....

AmarilloRed
07-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Does no one think we would trade Conine instead of Hatteberg? He is a perfectly wonderful reserve first baseman, and should be on the team in that role. We may not be able to trade Conine for as much, but I would rather have Hatteberg on the team.

Degenerate39
07-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Does no one think we would trade Conine instead of Hatteberg? He is a perfectly wonderful reserve first baseman, and should be on the team in that role. We may not be able to trade Conine for as much, but I would rather have Hatteberg on the team.

I'd rather trade both of them and have Votto a full time 1st baseman.

durl
07-09-2007, 09:23 AM

Your last sentence is probably the key factor. Hatteburg will bring in more in a trade than Conine and the Reds have got to be thinking about the next few years at this point. Not that they should give up on 2007 (we moved up 3 1/2 games in the past week) but Hatteburg isn't in the long-term plans for the Reds because of Votto waiting in the wings. It makes sense to trade him while his value is high.

Orenda
07-09-2007, 10:36 AM
If we could land a decent prospect then deal the man. But if not then what about keeping Hatteberg and Votto? Could you move EE over to first every once in a while against a southpaw and let Freel or Keppinger play 3rd? A bench with Hatteberg and Freel/Hopper could make one of this teams weaknesses a strength. Of course it wont matter if the bullpen is still inept.

Driver62
07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd rather trade both of them and have Votto a full time 1st baseman.

You must be kidding. Why would you trade both of your 1B players so a minor leagurer can play full time? Not to mention that Hatte is leading the team in hitting.
There have been many minor league players who looked like sure hall of famers down there but can't cut it in the majors.
Trade Conine and keep Hatte. Bring Votto up when the rosters expand in September and play him then. If he does great, the Reds can trade Hatte in the off sason. If he falls on his face, you still have Hatte around to play.
Makes sense to me.

reds44
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
You must be kidding. Why would you trade both of your 1B players so a minor leagurer can play full time? Not to mention that Hatte is leading the team in hitting.
There have been many minor league players who looked like sure hall of famers down there but can't cut it in the majors.
Trade Conine and keep Hatte. Bring Votto up when the rosters expand in September and play him then. If he does great, the Reds can trade Hatte in the off sason. If he falls on his face, you still have Hatte around to play.
Makes sense to me.
Because this team isn't going anywhere and you should bring one of your top hitting prospects up and let him get expierence? The better question is why wouldn't you bring him up?

Driver62
07-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Because this team isn't going anywhere and you should bring one of your top hitting prospects up and let him get expierence? The better question is why wouldn't you bring him up?

I didn't say not bring him up. I said bring him up in September and he can play the whole month. That should be plenty of time to showcase his talents.
I mainly disagreed with trading both of your first basemen and hope he can make it in the majors. He may be great (which I hope) or he could stink it up. You never know.

reds44
07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I didn't say not bring him up. I said bring him up in September and he can play the whole month. That should be plenty of time to showcase his talents.
I mainly disagreed with trading both of your first basemen and hope he can make it in the majors. He may be great (which I hope) or he could stink it up. You never know.
1 month is not enough time to make a judgement on a player, especially when that month is September.

nmculbreth
07-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Makes sense to me.

Because the minor leaguer in question is one of the best first base prospects in all of baseball and has put up very good numbers in AA and AAA? Once you factor in Hatteburg's age and the Reds timetable for putting a legitimate playoff contender on the field, the question becomes why wouldn't you deal him while his value is at an all time high?

Hatte has been a real find thusfar and if we were anywhere close to contention I'd be all in favor of keeping him around as a bench player and spot starter. Unfortunately, this organization isn't close to contending and would be best served by trying to get a prospect or two who might be able to contribute in the future. Maybe you'll disagree but I think a few solid prospects would be more valuable to this franchise than a solid LH pinch hitter.

SMcGavin
07-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I've always been surprised by how rarely Hatteberg gets talked about. He is usually brought up only as a guy we need to get rid of so Votto can play. However, Hatteberg has been one of the best things Krivsky has done here. Getting guys for low prices who can be at least league-average (Hatteberg, Phillips, Hamilton) is a big part of being a GM and Wayne has been excellent at doing this for our batters. If only he had the same knack for finding league average relievers!

I am for dealing Hatteberg at the deadline, but I just hope nobody expects Votto to replicate his level of performance. Hatteberg has a .400 OBP and is OPSing over .900. If Joey Votto does that in his prime I would be thrilled - but don't count on it happening in 2007.